Baby BMW Forum banner
201 - 220 of 239 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,803 Posts
So as far as I understand the BMWP seats are retrimmed Sportster CS with airbags, optionally with heating too. They have custom BMW control modules/wiring harnesses built-in, and BMW-specific subframes that allow them to bolt into the existing seat rails with two height positions set using bolts that mimic the OE manual/power seat heights. Coding was always necessary because of the different airbags/occupancy sensors.

If you buy non-BMWP CS' you'd need rails/frames to fit them. There are threads on Cutters/E90post/1Addicts etc. covering this, seems quite a few buyers of genuine BMWP seats also later fitted aftermarket mounts to gain an inch or two of headroom. Some of the aftermarket mounts are bloody pricy though - maybe some of the forum's resident track rats could help with decent/cheap alternatives?

On the wiring side, I haven't got a bloody clue. According to the retrofit PDF wiring changes were only necessary if the car had factory power seats. It'd probably be a lot easier to just fit bagless and have the bags/sensors coded out, but that might lead to issues with insurance plus there's the chance other things like passenger airbag and both seatbelt pre-tensioners might also end up disabled.

I think a lot of the price of the Sportsters comes from them being OEM-level re safety/adjustability etc... If you were fitting them without that all OEM integration then it's a lot to pay. A pair of Pole Positions would be decently cheaper, and still have proper BMW pedigree as the factory seats for the M3 CSL!

Edit: Did some bored-sh*tless-on-MS-Teams googling earlier.

Lots of people have fitted Sportster CS using and Recaro sliders (part 364954). The Planted frames come with mounts for factory belts/tensioners, whereas some of the others (Macht Schnell/VAC Motorsport) sell them seperately. For Planted+Recaro you're looking at around £300 per-seat on top of the seat cost.

Others have used Recaro sliders on 'modified' BMW frames, but there was no detail about how 'modified' they actually were or if this was DIYable which doesn't help. This also means the buckets sit at normal height, and can't be adapted down. The Planted+Recaro setup sits 30-40mm lower than standard and can easily be adjusted back up as necessary using spacers.

and are both sponsors on M3Cutters who have apparently sold bolt-in kits for Sportster CS in the past. I've seen a few people recommend MS on here.

On the electrical side, I saw a post about someone pulling the wiring/occupancy sensor from some cheap eBay factory seats and adapting this to the Recaros, but no other detail or instructions. Apparently there's a fella called Recaro Max on Facebook that can sell just about anything related to Recaros including custom wiring, and has custom made a few kits for 1M owners. Might be worth a PM if you're on there? No shortage of people have just used either occupancy sensor resistors (passenger airbags will always go off), or coded it all out entirely (passenger airbags will never go off).

Hope this helps you spend some money :lol:

·
Registered
369 Posts
I think you should go for some seats Pem! I actually bought an aftermarket CS with heating and the side airbag as it was really cheap. I've since sold it to go in a different direction before buying the second one. The Recaro heating is 2 stage rather than OEM BMW 3 stage and there's a little button on the side of the seat base. I'm not sure if a Performance seat differs here, or if one of the heater levels isn't actually different to another one. People have put an occupancy sensor under the seat cover if you did want to retain that.

You won't save much if any weight though really if that interests you. See this thread.

I really like the Pole Positions, and they make sense as you have a more door, just test them out to make sure they fit you. Otherwise the Profi SPG XL are a more roomy fit (M3 GTS).

Nyxeris said:
A pair of Pole Positions would be decently cheaper, and still have proper BMW pedigree as the factory seats for the M4 GTS!
Fixed that for you. 😉 CSL seats are the Recaro SPG from what I've read, though they do look similar to Pole Positions, especially the shoulders.

·
Super Moderator
3,803 Posts
CalvinNismo said:
CSL seats are the Recaro SPG from what I've read, though they do look similar to Pole Positions, especially the shoulders.
I stand corrected - been carrying that piece of incorrect info around for years after almost buying a pair for my old E46 :oops:

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
pem10 said:
SamM140 said:
Glad that you've managed to source parts for it…did you buy it back from the insurance co?

Can't help telling you the sears are a bad idea….the CS's would look the tits in your car! :lol:
Decided to leave the insurance out of it. Don't want it written off and the increase in premium would constantly grate.
Keeping all costs logged and going to do some chasing on the day dreaming Golf driver. If that gets me nowhere then that's life. No one hurt.

The pull is strong with the seats. Should also retain value quite well if I sell/don't fit :lol:
Good stuff, do the seats. They'll look ace and you'll never loose any cash on them.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
Refurbished wheels collected yesterday. Fancied a change from satin black so went with shadow chrome. Very pleased with the end result.
I'm tempted to bolt them on but I know the weather will turn as soon as I do :roll:
I plumped for asymmetric 5 in 225/235 .

Also had a call Monday from the body shop saying the bumper I left with them wasn't in as good a condition as first suspected. Looked to of had some previous repair work carried out which wasn't declared by the seller so that's going back. Week and a half wasted :twisted:
Got another one in the correct colour in the post so fingers crossed 🤞.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
Back end finally fixed. It's been about 9 weeks but hassle with bumpers and waiting for the bodyshop and then the garage lead time means it has taken way longer than hoped. Still got the bonnet to fix but it's back in on the 28th for that. I didn't bother with a picture because it's exactly like it was pre prang :lol:

The nice weather this weekend was my cue to get the summer wheels on as well. An unscientific bathroom scales suggests about 2.5kgs saved per corner which you can definitely notice. Picks up far more keenly. Over the moon with these and well worth the considerable expense.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
SamM140 said:
They look stunning on your car. Good work.
Thank you Sam :thumbs:

The rears could do with a 5mm spacer but after reading your wheel wobble episode I'm a bit reluctant. I test fitted a 15mm one but it was far too pokey so 18x8 et 25 is a no go! Not sure if 3mm is worth bothering with.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Stunning mate ! good choice of wheels

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
pem10 said:
SamM140 said:
They look stunning on your car. Good work.
Thank you Sam :thumbs:

The rears could do with a 5mm spacer but after reading your wheel wobble episode I'm a bit reluctant. I test fitted a 15mm one but it was far too pokey so 18x8 et 25 is a no go! Not sure if 3mm is worth bothering with.
3mm might do enough, you never know.

I'm going to try sone 12mm on the front and hope they don't rub!

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #212 ·
Not much going on with the car recently save for a change of number plates. Finally got round to getting rid of the free advertising of the supplying garage. Doing this did uncover a hidden crack in the bumper. Almost certainly a consequence of the incident a few months ago. At least the plate hides it :D

Bank Holiday just gone I took the car on a near 2 day blast around around Wales with some like minded friends/nutters and thoroughly enjoyed thrashing the knackers off it. Was nice to finally hear the top end for a sustained period. Don't get to do it much on the commute. The car soaked it up bar an oil top up. My fault for not checking :roll:
Two things it did do was highlight the need for stiffer anti roll bars and the need for an AMG V8!!!
I didn't take many pictures as I was busy hanging on but here's a few and they're not the best :)

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 ·
SamM140 said:
I recognise a few of the cars above; looks like a great trip.
Really enjoyed it and yes most I think are bbmw members past and present. Great company and fabulous roads/scenery. Won't be my last one.
The 1M is a beautiful car and one I'd love to own but the C63 is something else. I think it was straight piped and sounded absolutely epic through the tunnels :evil:

Thanks for the pictures Con :thumbs:

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
pem10 said:
SamM140 said:
I recognise a few of the cars above; looks like a great trip.
Really enjoyed it and yes most I think are bbmw members past and present. Great company and fabulous roads/scenery. Won't be my last one.
The 1M is a beautiful car and one I'd love to own but the C63 is something else. I think it was straight piped and sounded absolutely epic through the tunnels :evil:

Thanks for the pictures Con :thumbs:
Love the shot of the power bulge in the E92. It's properly visible when you drive them too. Still want one so much but can't stomach the fuel bills.

201 - 220 of 239 Posts