Baby BMW Forum banner
181 - 200 of 239 Posts

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Great result Pem. As Calvin Nismo said maybe you can fit a carbon bonnet now, I reckon you have one of the few colours that can pull off raw carbon on body parts.

Hopefully a good body shop can fix the front bumper easily enough. Did they check the front crash bar and slam panel are all ok? Cheap and easy enough to replace if needed.

·
Registered
369 Posts
jonwilli said:
Great result Pem. As Calvin Nismo said maybe you can fit a carbon bonnet now, I reckon you have one of the few colours that can pull off raw carbon on body parts.
If you're interested in an OEM looking one Pem and need someone else to help persuade them to manufacture it for you by bumping up the numbers, I could be tempted by either a 3DDesign one, or a Revozport one. I'm sure you could also put jonwilli down for 2!

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
jonwilli said:

Hopefully a good body shop can fix the front bumper easily enough. Did they check the front crash bar and slam panel are all ok? Cheap and easy enough to replace if needed.
Would love a carbon bonnet but this one has been painted twice so not having much luck with them :(
May well leave the insurance out of it so might be cost too far.

Amazingly no damage to the bumper or lights!

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
M3AN said:
Bro, that sucks, I'm feeling for you. Argh!

Fingers crossed it all works out fine... hopefully an excuse to get rid of any stone chips, looking for the silver lining and all!
Recently had a front and rear respray so not a chip in sight.
Used to tell my youngest not to write things in the dirt in case it scratched :lol:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Edges are always hard. Probably best to find one you can email photos to before they come out to quote. Maybe just look out for a decent one on eBay and replace it

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
I reckon you're better off souring a new one via eBay / good breakers. I think it'll be most cost effective and less hassle.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Yeah, you'll need a good body shop, and a fat wallet to fix that one, if it's even recoverable. I'm afraid. 😬

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
pem10 said:
I thought it might be a gonner. On the look out for a decent one now. Not too fussed about colour as will want it perfect.
The rear is in need first but 2 places I've emailed have yet to reply :evil:
Whats the plan Pem? Buy the old one off the insurance company, buy a new 130 and then transfer all the nice parts from one to the other?

The rear bumper swap and crash bar replacement is very straight forward. If you could get a bumper sprayed it would be an hour or two's job to swap them and replace the damaged parts (assuming just the crash bar). If the front is a bonnet and grille replacement again with a mate to help with the bonnet not a big job. If you went with a carbon bonnet it would save £200 to £300 in painting and be light enough to fit yourself.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #192 ·
I'm not 100% certain yet. If I take the car back then I've plenty of money to fix it up and add a few mods.
However this will categorise the car which loses it value plus makes insurance more expensive down the line. Annoys me hugely especially as I wasn't at fault for any of this.
Alternatively, and I've not checked yet, I could just repair it out my own pocket but that's definitely no carbon bonnet 😄
Now I know the car is straight and the wheels aren't home and away everything is relatively cheap and bolt/clip on.

Would a car with an insurance category against it be worth significantly less than an original one?
Anyone know?

There's no way it's going on Copart and not going to get another.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
A good advert that shows the damage and repairs should boost it's value when you come to sell if it's categorised, it's the unknown that drives the prices of those cars down. I'd have no issue paying decent money for a car that had a minor accident and good quality repairs, especially if they gave me a folder of photos and invoices to pass on in the future too.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I think a categorised car would reduce value at resale time, no two ways about it if I 'm honest. However, if you do the maths you may not lose out. The insurance pay out the full value of the car, you buy back at a lower cost and pay to get it fixed. Assuming you have some money in your pocket this will theoretically offset the loss on a future sale. The money you've saved on repairs will inflate in value with interest hopefully meaning you can sell for a couple of grand less and not be out of pocket.

Earlier you said you have no plans to sell, if that's the case then the above isn't relevant and you're better off with a car you know mechanically that is categorised than trawling the country for a second hand car in the same mechanical condition.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
If you don't intend to sell it, then it shouldn't be too much of an issue that it's categorised other than insurance.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
Hopefully with the worst of the winter behind us I thought I'd best beat the rush and buy some new tyres for the spring.
Previously ran Goodyear asymmetric 3 which I was happy with so after much research I opted for the asymmetric 5 :lol:
Kept the same 225/40 on the front but dropped a size at the rear to 235/40. A bit vain I know but a 245 always looked to much tyre on a 8J rim to my eyes.
Gives me the green light to get the wheels off for powder coating next week hopefully. I'm certainly going for shadow chrome, probably :roll:
After last months accident all the parts required are gathered and the bumper is currently with the bodyshop being prepped and painted. Can't wait to get it back and dropped off to the garage for repair.
Tried fitting the rear light the other day but the non genuine part came with different size studs which was annoying but not unsurprising. Didn't make the same mistake with the front grill but the front right one I ordered came as the driver side when I need the passenger side. Probably should have double checked first :roll:
All this parts gathering has wetted the modding bug and can't stop eyeing up a pair of Recaro cs seats. Can someone please dissuade me please before I succumb.
Are they're any electrical headaches or problems with seat rails etc?

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Glad that you've managed to source parts for it…did you buy it back from the insurance co?

Can't help telling you the sears are a bad idea….the CS's would look the tits in your car! :lol:

·
Super Moderator
3,806 Posts
Sportster CS are BMWP seats... As long as you bought the version with airbags (plus heating if you've got it) they should be pretty much plug and play, some adapting needed but no errors/loss of functionality :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #199 ·
SamM140 said:
Glad that you've managed to source parts for it…did you buy it back from the insurance co?

Can't help telling you the sears are a bad idea….the CS's would look the tits in your car! :lol:
Decided to leave the insurance out of it. Don't want it written off and the increase in premium would constantly grate.
Keeping all costs logged and going to do some chasing on the day dreaming Golf driver. If that gets me nowhere then that's life. No one hurt.

The pull is strong with the seats. Should also retain value quite well if I sell/don't fit :lol:

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
Nyxeris said:
Sportster CS are BMWP seats... As long as you bought the version with airbags (plus heating if you've got it) they should be pretty much plug and play, some adapting needed but no errors/loss of functionality :mrgreen:
Not got bum warmers and are airbags essential? Sounds silly because safety first obviously, but added cost will probably be too much for a pair :(
Thinking of doing it on the, relatively, cheap!

Genuine :jawdrop:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313641971827?hash=item490684b073:g:VVwAAOSwzY5dlzW9

Budget copy!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185257393757?hash=item2b22337e5d:g:wZMAAOSw-Nph4jWQ

No intention of getting non genuine but that's a blatant rip off.
You any idea on the best place to to get frames or do you use the current ones on the car? Any help much appreciated 🙏

Very nearly brought a pair of bmwp seats a few months ago but was too slow in the end. Chap wanted £3200 for the pair. Wouldn't of lost money on those.

181 - 200 of 239 Posts