Baby BMW Forum banner

225xe M Sport

9K views 26 replies 4 participants last post by  dorsetred 
#1 ·
Traded my 2015 116i and the arrival of my XE will arrive in port 22nd June.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome back Kiwi

Following your earlier comments when we purchased our 2 Series Active Tourer 1.8d M Sport, I'm somewhat surprised that you've decided to go down the same road although I'm also very interested in the choice you've made which is currently unavailable in the UK. Can you advise the specification that you went for as this is something I'm considering especially given the probable long-term savings in the future when I eventually retire next year.

What made you decide on the Tourer?

Dorsetred :cool2:

#3 ·
What ever my comments were I have to eat humble pie as I was wrong. :rollseyes:

The XE couldn't have come at a better time. I was looking at an i3 but found the drivers seat was not good for my back and after I test drove one on our twisty roads I almost ended up car sick with the way the i3 rolled around corners. I could have lived with its cornering and poor lights but not the drivers seat.

Reason for a plug in is our government 2 weeks ago announced all plug in hybrids (only) will be allowed in bus only lanes as well carpool lanes with only the driver no passengers required. We only have 1100 battery any type of vehicle in NZ as their's no subsidies so they are expensive.

The same day BMW announced the XE.

I borrowed a demo 118d Active Tourer for a couple of days last week (after the i3 test last weekend) and honestly my partner and I enjoyed it. I was dealing with a BMW dealer I never had much time for, but thought I will arrange a price of them first then head to the dealer I have purchase most of our BMWs off.

My dealer came up with a good trade in deal so borrowed a 118d m sport yesterday and dropped it back today. This time we took it on some very wet gravel roads and enjoyed the AT once again with know complaints.

The XE m port is priced higher than the i3 so it's not cheap but it will be a long term purchase.

Our 220i m sport convertible is such a great drive so we now have the best of both worlds. Hard to believe the XE is 6.7s 0-100 which will smash our 220i.

Why a plug in hybrid NZ can have power cuts and being trapped in a battery car would be crazy as it could be for 2 days or more out of Auckland City.

NZ is 80% renewable power generation and the only country beater is Greenland.

The EX I purchased is the first to arrive as it it was going to be the dealers demo and press car. Their's a few other XE's coming for dealers and press on the same boat but only a few. Next delivery is in 4 months and very limited numbers.

225xe Build Sheet
Vehicle information
Type code 2C72
Type 225XE IPERFORMAN225XE IPCE (EUR)
Dev. series F45 ()
Line 2
Body type SAT
Steering RL
Door count 4
Engine XB2H =
Cubical capacity 0.00
Power 165
Transmision ALLR
Gearbox AUT
Colour MINERALWEISS METALLIC (A96)
Upholstery LED.DAKOTA M.PERF. SW/AKZENT BLAU (PDN4)
Prod. date 2016-04-27

Order options
No. Description
2TU 18"M L.A WHEELS DOUBLE-SPOKE 486M
230 EU SPECIFIC ADDITIONAL EQUIPMENT
249 MULTI-FUNCTION FOR STEERING WHEEL
258 RUNFLAT TYRES
3AA ROOF RAILS BLACK
3AG BACKUP CAMERA
313 EXTERIOR MIRROR PACKAGE
316 AUTOMATIC TAILGATE OPERATION
322 COMFORT ACCESS SYSTEM
337 M SPORT PACKAGE
4LU INT.T.F.BL.HI.GLOSS W.HIGH T.FIN.CH
420 SUN PROTECTION GLAZING
428 WARNING TRIANGLE
431 INTERIOR RR VW MIRROR W AUT ANTI-D
473 ARMREST, FRONT
481 SPORT SEATS F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER
493 STORAGE COMPARTMENT PACKAGE
494 SEAT HEATING F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER
5AV ACTIVE GUARD
5A4 LED HEADLIGHTS W.EXTENDED FEATURES
5DP PARK ASSISTANT
508 PARK DISTANCE CONTROL (PDC)
520 FOGLIGHTS
521 RAIN SENSOR
544 CRUISE CONTROL WITH BRAKING FUNCTION
548 SPEEDOMETER WITH KILOMETER READING
563 LIGHTS PACKAGE
575 ADDITIONAL 12V POWER SOCKET
6AC INTELLIGENT EMERGENCY CALL
6AE TELESERVICES
6AG E DRIVE SERVICES
6AK CONNECTEDDRIVE SERVICES
6AM REAL TIME TRAFFIC INFORMATION
6AN CONCIERGE SERVICES
6FW MEDIA
6NS ENHANCED TELEPHONY WITH EXTENDED SM
6UN NAVIGATION
650 CD PLAYER
7LG GUIDANCE PACKAGE
7LH CONVENIENCE PACKAGE
7S9 CONNECTEDDRIVE SERVICES PAKET
700 AREA-CODE 4
710 M LEATHER STEERING WHEEL
715 M AERODYNAMICS PACKAGE
760 INDIVIDUAL HIGH-GLOSS SATIN CHROME
775 INDIVIDUAL ROOF-LINING ANTHRACITE
8BK LOADING DOSE EXPORT
8KA OELSERVICE INT. 30.000 KM/24 MONTHS
8SM VIN, VISIBLE FROM OUTSIDE
8SX PROVIDER CONTROL, TELEMATICS 1
8S3 AUTOMATIC LOCK WHEN DRIVING AWAY
8TF ACTIVE PROTECTION FOR PEDESTRIANS
8TG ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM
8TN DAYTIME DRIVING LIGHTS SELECTABLE B
810 AUSTRALIA VERSION
825 RADIO CONTROL OCEANIA
845 ACOUSTIC BELT WARNING
858 ENGINE SETTINGS FOR LOWER-QUALITY FUEL
880 ENGLISH / ON-BOARD DOCUMENTATION
9AA EXTERNAL SKIN PROTECTION
925 SHIPPING PROTECTION PACKAGE
962 NUMBER PLATE HOLDER FRONT, DELETION
Series options
No. Description
2VG PERFORMANCE CONTROL
205 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
534 AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONING
853 LANGUAGE VERSION ENGLISH

#4 ·
Kiwi said:
Enjoy your people mover I'll enjoy my drivers car
This is a pretty drastic U turn Kiwi!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
I wouldn't call it a total U turn as both the 116i and 220i would run rings around the Active Tour on twisty roads. If that's as bad as my comment was then I'm happy. I'll enjoy my people mover as the 225xe has room in the back seats for friends/family

Circumstances change in life.

I still have the enjoyment of our 220i "drivers car" and will enjoy our 225xe for peak hour traffic as well winter weather trips or driving our gravel roads which NZ has many. I miss our back roads.

Snow ski field trips will be safer as I'll have 4x4 if I hold the battery usage until the ski access roads.

I have owned a few Jeeps but now I'm more a look after our open spaces rather then damage them 4x4 driving.

I'm not sure if the XE sends drive to each wheel if they start spinning like X BMW's do.

#6 ·
AW_Dan said:
Kiwi said:
Enjoy your people mover I'll enjoy my drivers car
This is a pretty drastic U turn Kiwi!!
To be frank he was honest enough to say so having driven the car and as far as I'm concerned I have no issues whatsoever it's blatantly obvious he loves BM's from the cars he's had and as I've always stated it's all to do with the type of motoring that you do or intend to do. My thoughts have always been until you try one it's very difficult to criticise simply by looking at a car and saying you hate the looks etc., although we enjoyed having the E82 Coupe I always thought it was on the small size on the interior. I've considered changing but the 3 series is the only version that has more interior space and that includes 1, 2 and X1 which I'd briefly considered but when you look at the Xi and F45 there's not really a great deal between them.

Kiwi - great spec and many thanks for advising the information, I look forward to hearing how you get on with the car as previously mentioned that model is definitely worth consideration if and when we decide to change. :band:

dorsetred :cool2:

#7 ·
BMW is adding a plug-in hybrid variant with all-wheel drive to the BMW 2 Series Active Tourer model range. The BMW 225xe - a BMW 2 Series Active Tourer variant with eDrive - delivers a combination of sporting ability, economy and everyday practicality unique in its segment. It allows locally emission-free driving without compromising on the driving pleasure you'd expect from BMW, and combines an electric driving experience and high operating range with functional excellence and everyday practicality. The BMW 225xe offers both a higher system output and more boot capacity than its competitors.

With its plug-in hybrid drive system, the BMW 225xe combines BMW EfficientDynamics with comfort, driving pleasure and all-wheel drive, and brings versatility and generous levels of space together in a compact vehicle. The BMW 225xe uses its combination of BMW eDrive and a 1.5-litre three-cylinder BMW TwinPower Turbo engine to offer both an electric driving experience and unrestricted mobility. Its combined fuel consumption of 2.1-2.0 litres* per 100 kilometres / 134.5-141.2 mpg imp (CO2 emissions are just 49-46 grams* per kilometre) sets the benchmark in its class.

The BMW 225xe's plug-in hybrid technology enables locally emission-free driving but also allows owners to cover long distances when required. It is therefore perfectly suited for use in urban areas and for family leisure activities. Like all variants of the BMW 2 Series Active Tourer, the BMW 2 Series Active Tourer with eDrive also impresses with its generously-sized interior, practical details and ergonomic ease of use. Since the lithium-ion battery is arranged in a space-saving position under the rear seat bench and the electric drive system is fully accommodated under the load compartment floor, the boot's capacity can be used virtually without restriction.

Electric, efficient and dynamically accomplished.
The driving experience is an equally important element of BMW's family and leisure cars as everyday practicality. However, the BMW 225xe takes enjoyment at the wheel to a whole new level again. The BMW eDrive technologies developed under the banner of BMW EfficientDynamics and a BMW TwinPower Turbo petrol engine team up to create an efficient and dynamically accomplished hybrid drive system which makes the perfect match for a BMW brand model: dynamically adept, locally emission-free thanks to the electric drive and efficient over long distances. The electric drive system at the rear axle joins forces with the BMW 2 Series Active Tourer's regular front-wheel-drive configuration to form what we call "electrified xDrive". The result is outstanding traction even in adverse weather conditions.

The rear-mounted 65 kW/88 hp electric motor drives the rear wheels and allows an electric range of up to 41 kilometres (25 miles). This makes it the obvious emission-free drive option for short distances, urban traffic and, with a top speed of 125 km/h (78 mph) on electric power alone, cross-country routes and even motorways.

Front-wheel drive, rear-wheel drive or electrified xDrive.
The high-revving three-cylinder petrol engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology and an output of 100 kW/136 hp is standing by for longer journeys and when higher speeds are the order of the day. The combustion engine sends its power to the front wheels via a six-speed Steptronic transmission and represents a compelling proposition with its smooth running and 220 Newton metres (162 lb-ft) of torque available up to the 202 km/h (126 mph) top speed.

Under heavy acceleration from rest and for overtaking manoeuvres, the power from the two drive systems combines to give a system output of 165 kW/224 hp and peak torque of up to 385 Newton metres (284 lb-ft). All of which enables acceleration from 0-100 km/h (62 mph) in 6.7 seconds.

As with the BMW i8, the hybrid drive system in the BMW 225xe creates an "electrified xDrive" system. When the driver accelerates, the combustion engine is activated by the high-voltage starter-generator almost imperceptibly and with no interruption in the flow of power.

In addition to the Driving Experience Control switch - with its SPORT, COMFORT and ECO PRO settings - familiar from other BMW models, the eDrive button in the centre console offers three driving modes: AUTO eDRIVE, MAX eDRIVE and SAVE BATTERY. AUTO eDRIVE is the basic setting activated when the car is started. It ensures the combustion engine and electric motor work together to optimum effect in all driving situations and gives a pure-electric top speed of 80 km/h (50 mph). MAX eDRIVE allows the car to run on the electric drive system alone up to a speed of 125 km/h (78 mph). With SAVE BATTERY, the charge of the high-voltage battery can be maintained or, if it's already depleted, raised to over 50 per cent during a journey - so that the available electric range can be used later in urban areas, for example. BMW ConnectedDrive is also on hand to help lower fuel consumption. In the BMW 2 Series Active Tourer with eDrive, the ConnectedDrive package adds the proactive energy management function to the mix, which responds to the driving style and route profile to ensure the plug-in hybrid drive system is used as efficiently as possible.

As a plug-in hybrid, the BMW 2 Series Active Tourer with eDrive can charge its lithium-ion high-voltage battery (gross capacity: 7.6 kWh) either by means of brake energy recuperation during a journey or when plugged into a domestic power socket (in three hours 15 minutes from empty) or the optional BMW i Wallbox (two hours 15 minutes from empty). The energy content for customers' use comes hereby to 5.8 kWh.

The electric drive components, including the high-voltage battery and electric motor, are produced at BMW Plant Dingolfing; series production of the BMW 225xe will begin in late 2015 at Plant Leipzig. Prices in Germany start at €38.700.

#8 ·
Kiwi

Many thanks for the information which highlighted the benefits and although I'd seen most of the details to date having gone through the UK site but still unable at the moment to consider pricing which is a real pain in the butt as usual.

#11 ·
All owners of the Active Tourers must be happy as I cannot find any bad press or forum site activity.

I was one who thought BMW was making a mistake with front wheel drive but I've have done a complete turn around and this includes battery cars.

#12 ·
Kiwi said:
All owners of the Active Tourers must be happy as I cannot find any bad press or forum site activity.

I was one who thought BMW was making a mistake with front wheel drive but I've have done a complete turn around and this includes battery cars.
I think you've made a very valid point because if my better half had a problem during the 18 months we've had ours I'd soon know about it! To be frank as you've seen for yourself it's all about whichever car suits you best for all circumstances including most of all the interior space. I've considered the thought of changing possibly to either the new X1 or alternatively as you had the i3 but in both cases there's more room in the Active Tourer and the next consideration was the 3 series however from all aspects I simply came to the conclusion I'd be changing for changing's sake and don't in reality gain much apart from a slightly newer car with new registration plate. Our car so far has only completed about 6,000 miles (10k Kilometres) since new and that's pretty much average at the moment with me still working abroad and even when I finally decide to retire possibly December 2017 (maybe) I can't see us putting too much additional annual mileage on the car.

If I had an option and enough room I'd love your 2 series vert as a second car but again being realistic from a retirement point of view there really isn't much point as it's far better to have the funds available for a rainy day.

Allan - dorsetred

#13 ·
I have 10-12 years if I do look to retire as I'm 58 now but it's not even a thought as I enjoy the job I'm doing and to be honest the money for travel and other toys. I plan on both cars being around for a long time. We are at the time of life we do need to put money away for when we may not be able to work. What we have done in the past 7 years is travel every 2-3 months for a week at a time and a 3-4 week holiday in August. I do get bored very easy so I need work to keep me busy and as you get older you notice those who keep working live a longer and are mentally more alert. I run 5ks every other day which leaves a great feeling for the rest of the day.

The convertible is what we have been after since we sold our Z4 4 years ago which was a mistake. We waited until we come across the best converiable in our price range as buying a Z4 is not even a thought. I rent a Convertiable Mustang every year when we visit the states but their is know way could I live with it full time.

Living in a small country we do have better access to car importers and getting car problems sorted. BMW Germany owns BMW here so we tend to get well looked after.

If I purchase another toy it will be a BMW motorbike as I have owned a few and still own a BMW 450 enduro bike but came off 18 months ago and smashed the head once to often so have to be more careful. The 450 would be replaced with a BMW 1200gs which I have to ride a lot slower when off road that's if I go ahead.

I am excited about the new car and more excited than the convertiable this time last year. Both these cars were and are the first to arrive and go on the road. These only 1000 battery of any type car in New Zealand as their is no subsidies.

#14 ·
The 225xe arrived at my dealer today ready to PD and take delivery tomorrow and plates were being installed as I left. I always go over PD with staff then I know things should be correct when I take delivery.

#15 ·
Hi Kiwi

Your car really does look nice especially in white and look forward to some more photographs after you've picked up the car.

Allan - Dorsetred

#16 ·
I'm totally impressed with the car after a 1h 20m drive out in the country side. It was not a drive to show the battery usage as most of driving was using the engine. Consumption was 6.2l/100km and 28% battery with a 52% level of efficiency. First tank of petrol will be high until engine settles down. It's a really wet day so no photos and really not much to show over the last lot of photos.

The BMW app find my car was fast finding the 225xe but in saying that the 220i is a lot faster as well.

With the XE being an AWD their was no sign of the XE being front wheel drive. It is certainly quick and nimble to drive and the M Sport suspension is very nice over bumps which I usually have to slow down or avoid in the 116i or the 220i.

#17 ·
I've found a way to charge the XE battery a lot faster then electric power and this is by moving the auto select lever to sport which allows the battery to charge when you are driving. Freeways or motorways driving the XE will use the engine only so why not charge the battery free as well.

After 2 weeks of ownership the 225xe M Sport is a brilliant drive and it cost me a lot less than a X1 20i M Sport.

What problems have I noticed? None at this stage.

The car is still on it's first tank of petrol and traveled 654 km with an electric only distance of 301.7 km. I still have 122 km petrol left.

#18 ·
Looking good, we travelled up to Cheshire from Dorset and having found how to set the Trip details you can imagine how pleased we were at the resulting figures 440 miles at 56.1 mpg from our 218d M Sport Active Tourer version which did surprise me as it's certainly closer to BMW figures and I suspect like yourself you don't exactly drive slowly!!

Allan :cool2:

#19 ·
The engine is running @7.5L per 100km but the overall is 4.1L. I expect this figure to drop once the engine runs in. It's still on it's first tank of petrol which only holds 36L. The xe has traveled 678km and 323km was battery since it drove out of the factory in Germany with no reset. I will reset once I fill up with petrol this week.

56.1mpg = 5.03L per 100km which is very good. I never get close to BMW figures. My 2015 116i was 7.5L and my 2015 220i is 8.6L.

#20 ·
Kiwi

Yes I agree regarding the figures because although I was trying to keep it down to around 70-75mph (120Kph) due to speed cameras etc there were several occasions where I was pushing 85mph + and as no doubt you're well aware the main issue is trying not to exceed that as it's obvious there's plenty left under the pedal! :lol2:

Allan :cool2:

#22 ·
Kiwi said:
Washed my 225xe for the first time today and what a prick of the car to wash compared to my 116i was.
I know that feeling only too well after having our E82 1 series, the tourer doesn't look big until you start to wash it! :lol2: :lol2: I took the other option and had to take it to a decent hand washing unit on Sunday as I flew back to Bahrain yesterday after my vacation which was a real pain.

#23 ·
Its winter down under and its bean wet off and on for the last 4 weeks so never got to clean it.
They look so small but washing the roof you almost need a step ladder or longer arms even standing up on the door sills with the doors open as well there are so many bits to clean.
I'm still enjoying the drive and what has surprised me was the huge difference going from comfort to sport in the way the tourer drives on the open road. I do like driving back roads as hardly no traffic and plenty of corners.

#24 ·
I've got to admit I've not had much of an opportunity to try in Sport as yet and wouldn't even consider Eco as that would probably drive me insane, that along with wanting to fit front and rear dash cams but as usual never enough time during three weeks vacation to do the things I'd like to get done which is very frustrating at times.

One thing I did have done when we bought the car was have "Alloygaiters" fitted on the rims and now having kerbed twice yet again they've definitely saved a considerable amount in relation to preventing rim damage. Problem being a natural one really in that most of the time when at work I'm driving a Land Cruiser (left hand drive) and when back in the UK obviously the Tourer is right hand drive which is fine but sometimes judging the gap on the left is needing a bit more care from my point of view! Needless to add the other half was distinctly not amused to say the least, especially after slight contact with my response being "it's a man thing".

#25 ·
the XE looks to be a very capable all round car!

We were looking at the tourers the other day in BMW and the front visibility (i.e seeing the end of the bonnet) seemed shocking is this not an issue that you have found?

out of interest Kiwi, where abouts in Auckland are you? i lived in Mt. Eden for a year. lovely place! I worked on Customs Street East for some time, so there are some familiar views there from the ship bringing your car in :)

James

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.