Baby BMW Forum banner

Convert S3ARA to S3ACA -

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  alexbelgium 
#1 ·
Hi,

I've purchased a new F46 with the S3ARA option : rear luggage carrier for which an additional ball must be purchased. This ball is pierced in a way to prevent it being used for attaching a trailer.

However, I've noticed the external ball for the bike holder S3ARA option () is extremely similar visually to the external ball for the trailer towing option S3ACA ().

Is it therefore possible to use the 6854685 element instead of the 6870724 and convert my S3ARA option to an S3ACA ?
I would rather have the opinion of experts before shelling 200€ on this.

Thanks all!

#2 ·
I had the exact same question as you a couple of years ago, when I was looking for a cycle carrier for my F46. I took the "Bike Rack Preparation" (£160) option when I ordered my car, because it was so much cheaper than the "Detachable Tow Bar" option (£600), and I was only interested in using it for a cycle carrier anyway, not for towing.
The removable ball for the Bike Rack Preparation does indeed look like a normal towball, just with a hole drilled through it and a metal rod inserted into the hole, with each end of the rod protruding out of the side. I don't know whether it was designed like that to force us to buy BMW's own cycle carrier (which is about 2x the price of similar models from Thule etc.), or to prevent us from using it for towing.
I spent quite a lot of time trying to figure out whether I could just fit the regular towball so I could then use whichever cycle carrier I wanted, and avoid the expense of the BMW carrier. The metalwork underneath the car looks identical between the "Bike Rack Preparation" and the "Detachable Tow Bar" fitting. But they have different BMW part numbers, and the guy I spoke to at my local BMW parts department said he had no way of knowing whether there was really any difference between these two. He told me that although they look very similar underneath the car, it's quite possible that there are differences which are not immediately visible, and he said he certainly wouldn't advise using it for towing.
In the end, I managed to get the BMW Original cycle carrier on eBay for about half the normal price, and I then also bought the cycle carrier ball on eBay (brand new from a BMW dealer's eBay site, but cheaper than the standard BMW list price). It's all very robust, and quite user-friendly.
Sorry I couldn't be of any more help to you!

#3 ·
My understanding is that the difference in reference for the main holder part is that the ball is included for the towing option, and not for the bike-holder option but that's a 200€ worth guess I don't think I'll take. The only way to be sure would be for a retailer with the two types of car to exchange the balls and check if it works but I'm not sure they would willingly do it :)

I'll probably do the same as you and purchase the bike holder from ebay.
Thanks very much for your feedback!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.