Baby BMW Forum banner

LED headlights when driving on the continent

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Nottsknots 
#1 ·
Do any of you have any experience driving a right-hand-drive F46 Gran Tourer with LED headlights on the continent?

I've been driving my F46 in France for a few days, and while driving on single-lane country roads at night, several people have been flashing their headlights at me, as though I'm dazzling them.

I checked my user manual again, and it says that for models equipped with LED headlights, like mine, there is no need for headlight deflectors while driving abroad. It just says that you shouldn't use the automatic dipped headlights, you should put dipped headlights on manually.

I couldn't find any other headlight adjustments (eg. to raise / lower the headlight beam).

Is there anything else I should be doing, to avoid dazzling drivers coming the other way?

#4 ·
Johag said:
When driving abroad don't put the switch to auto and use the lights manually for led/halogen
Yes, this is what I did. But I still had people flashing their lights at me.

When I stopped, I checked whether there was any difference between the manual setting for dipped headlights and the automatic setting, by parking in front of a building and checking the light pattern. There was indeed a difference. On the automatic setting, the light pattern extended further out towards the left (seen from the driving seat position).

#5 ·
MarkySpark said:
But I still had people flashing their lights at me.
They're just pleased to see you :lol2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.