Baby BMW Forum banner

Rust!

17K views 95 replies 36 participants last post by  marco_polo 
#1 ·
#6 ·
BMW UK said:
Paintwork Warranty

The paintwork Warranty covers your vehicle against defects such as blistering, discolouration or staining of the visible surface of all painted body panels occurring as a result of faulty manufacture or workmanship for a period of 36 months from the date of first registration without any mileage limitation.
So sounds like a straightforward claim....

#7 ·
marco_polo said:
BMW UK said:
Paintwork Warranty

The paintwork Warranty covers your vehicle against defects such as blistering, discolouration or staining of the visible surface of all painted body panels occurring as a result of faulty manufacture or workmanship for a period of 36 months from the date of first registration without any mileage limitation.
So sounds like a straightforward claim....
I think they will replace the whole panel, thats a defect under the paint unless you have a very very tiny hole in the paint.
Sorry Marco thats a bummer

#10 ·
The dealer you take it to will send pictures of the defect to BMW in Germany and they decide what type of repair is required.
As usual the main concern will be matching the paint to perfection as I know Marco will accept nothing but 100% perfection.

#14 ·
That's not what you'd expect to see already! How old is the car?

Surely they will just sand to below the rust spot/bare metal then go through the motions of a respray, etch, primer, base, lacquer?

As for the colour match now they have a block that is pressed onto surrounding panels in 3-5 places it reads the paint and tells you what variant of the paint code to mix as there is normally a light, medium and dark shade of the same colour and code, something to do with the batches their made in for the factory. Also the panel is the same material as the surrounding panels, poor matches with fresh paint are often when different materials meet such as the bumper to the wing/quarter panel.

Anyway hope they sort it to a standard you are happy with Marco!

#19 ·
Charlesm135i said:
I seem to have one similar but looks also like it may have been done due to a stonechip, can i take mine to bmw? Will they cover if i small pin sized paint has chipped like a stone chip look?
Paint warranty will only cover manufacturing defects, not damage caused by untreated stone chips. If you're unsure as to whether that's the case I guess there's no harm in asking..

#21 ·
sonnyx said:
markm240i said:
Charlesm135i said:
I seem to have one similar but looks also like it may have been done due to a stonechip, can i take mine to bmw? Will they cover if i small pin sized paint has chipped like a stone chip look?
Paint warranty will only cover manufacturing defects, not damage caused by untreated stone chips. If you're unsure as to whether that's the case I guess there's no harm in asking..
Marco said he could see no visible stone chip so dealer would need to demonstrate some sort of damage to get out of warranty.
So lets hope this is the case
I wasn't replying to Marco - I was replying to Charlesm135i as per the quote above.

#25 ·
marco_polo said:
Yup, there's some kind of hole/porosity in the paint. There's no stone chip though so I'm still calling it a blister!

I've chips all over the front wings and bonnet, and none have blistered up like that.
Aye, looks more like blister has burst right enough and started to leak. Not good!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.