Baby BMW Forum banner

Birds engine tune - worth the premium?

4K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Dizeee 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm no expert on tuning, so would appreciate a little help.

I've been looking at getting an LSD and possibly stage 1 remap of my car.

I've heard Birds have a good reputation so I've been looking at their site. They do an engine tune, but only when paired with something else, take for example with the Quaife LSD.

The Quaife LSD fitted with their engine tune is a £4.5k package, and that's a lot of money.

They do offer the LSD fitted alone and that comes in at £2.5k, if you deduct that from their paired package that places a value of £2k on their remap. And that's a lot of ****ing money to take the car up to 390bhp. I contacted them and they've told me they warranty the engine for 12 months, and that appears to be partly the justification for the cost.

But still, that seems absolutely crazy to me given a similar remap can be done by someone like Lichfield for £600. Or is it similar?

From what Birds told me the remap they do is something that isn't tailored for each car is something that's optimised for the engine as a one size fits all thing.

Where is this huge cost premium coming from? Is that the same as all these other remaps?

Am I missing something? Can't get my head around the differences in cost.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

See less See more
#2 ·
If I was you I'd contact BW chiptune regarding the remap, he'd be able to advise/fit LSD as well.

#4 ·
I would strongly advise using a true LSD like Wavetrac which uses carbon fibre friction plates over Quaife lsd

If one of the rear wheels comes off the ground the Quaife diff will loose drive to the other wheel where the Wavetrac will keep drive to the other wheel always

As for birds tuning just look who is on there premises Quantum tuning with a dyno

Do some research on them and look at the dyno readings of standard cars and you will see how much it over reads

BW chiptune
-Tuning BMWs since 1991
-Dyno Dynamics rolling road.
BW autorepairs
-Over 30 year repairing BMWs.
-BW GPS Trackers supplied and fitted
-New and fully refurbished BMW/Alpina ,Ecus (DME,DDE)and Cas units.
-BMW Ecu repairs.
-BMW remote Keys made and cut same day with or without car even if all keys lost we can supply you a key like the dealers do.
-Key data fixed in EWS or CAS for non starters or when theft attempted.
-Correction of Engine ECUs Cas and key fitted to your car (when a key set from a different car has been used).
-Digital Service Records rest and corrections in idrive screen on 2013 onwards cars.
-DPF repairs fixed without the need of removal of its guts or replacement.
-40% of my work is repairing the problems that are caused by other tuners remap

For more info look in our section under sponsors on this forum

UK
0208 561 1818
07831 103030
Unit 8&9
alpha industrial estate
Clayton Rd
Hayes
Middlesex
UB3 1BB

or

Spain
Orihuela Costa
+34643890040
+447831103030

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#5 ·
jason@bwchiptune said:
I would strongly advise using a true LSD like Wavetrac which uses carbon fibre friction plates over Quaife lsd

If one of the rear wheels comes off the ground the Quaife diff will loose drive to the other wheel where the Wavetrac will keep drive to the other wheel always
What do you charge for a fitted Wavetrac, Jason? Car spec is in my sig.

#6 ·
jason@bwchiptune said:

As for birds tuning just look who is on there premises Quantum tuning with a dyno

Do some research on them and look at the dyno readings of standard cars and you will see how much it over reads

BW chiptune
-Tuning BMWs since 1991
BW autorepairs
-BMW Ecu repairs.
-BMW remote Keys made and cut same day with or without car even if all keys lost we can supply you a key like the dealers do.
-Correction of Engine ECUs Cas and key fitted to your car (when a key set from a different car has been used).
-Digital Service Records rest and corrections in idrive screen on 2013 onwards cars.

UK
0208 561 1818
07831 103030
Unit 8&9
alpha industrial estate
Clayton Rd
Hayes
Middlesex
UB3 1BB

or

Spain
Orihuela Costa
+34643890040
+447831103030

Do you give an engine / drivetrain warranty after your work?

#7 ·
Sam_M said:
jason@bwchiptune said:

If you can pm your cars details
So I can give you a quote
Thanks

#8 ·
Ezzra said:
jason@bwchiptune said:

BW chiptune
-Tuning BMWs since 1991
BW autorepairs
-BMW Ecu repairs.

UK
0208 561 1818
07831 103030
Unit 8&9
alpha industrial estate
Clayton Rd
Hayes
Middlesex
UB3 1BB

or

Spain
Orihuela Costa
+34643890040
+447831103030

You will never be able to claim on a tuning Warranty its not worth the paper it is wrote on

If you search how long I've been tuning bmws for and how many I've fixed that where tuned by other tuners who try to pull the wool over there customers heads

BW chiptune
-Tuning BMWs since 1991
BW autorepairs
-BMW Ecu repairs.

UK
0208 561 1818
07831 103030
Unit 8&9
alpha industrial estate
Clayton Rd
Hayes
Middlesex
UB3 1BB

or

Spain
Orihuela Costa
+34643890040
+447831103030

#9 ·
jason@bwchiptune said:
Ezzra said:
jason@bwchiptune said:

BW chiptune
-Tuning BMWs since 1991
BW autorepairs
-BMW Ecu repairs.

UK
0208 561 1818
07831 103030
Unit 8&9
alpha industrial estate
Clayton Rd
Hayes
Middlesex
UB3 1BB

or

Spain
Orihuela Costa
+34643890040
+447831103030

You will never be able to claim on a tuning Warranty its not worth the paper it is wrote on

If you search how long I've been tuning bmws for and how many I've fixed that where tuned by other tuners who try to pull the wool over there customers heads

BW chiptune
-Tuning BMWs since 1991
BW autorepairs
-BMW Ecu repairs.

UK
0208 561 1818
07831 103030
Unit 8&9
alpha industrial estate
Clayton Rd
Hayes
Middlesex
UB3 1BB

or

Spain
Orihuela Costa
+34643890040
+447831103030

Incorrect.

I'm aware of successful claims that have been made against ACS (Rossiters). I suspect it's impossible for smaller companies to offer warranties as they don't have the financial resources to do so. Hence the difference in prices. You pays your money and makes yer choice :)

#10 ·
jason@bwchiptune said:
Sam_M said:
jason@bwchiptune said:

If you can pm your cars details
So I can give you a quote
Thanks
Done, thanks

#11 ·
I know it's not the same car, but I had my E82 135i fettled by Birds back in 2012, so LSD, springs, dampers, anti rolls bars and the tune. In hindsight, I should have gone for someone else's map. Nothing wrong with their map but as you say, it's a lot of money.

#13 ·
Ezzra said:
jason@bwchiptune said:
Ezzra said:

BW chiptune
-Tuning BMWs since 1991
BW autorepairs
-BMW Ecu repairs.

UK
0208 561 1818
07831 103030
Unit 8&9
alpha industrial estate
Clayton Rd
Hayes
Middlesex
UB3 1BB

or

Spain
Orihuela Costa
+34643890040
+447831103030

Incorrect.

I'm aware of successful claims that have been made against ACS (Rossiters). I suspect it's impossible for smaller companies to offer warranties as they don't have the financial resources to do so. Hence the difference in prices. You pays your money and makes yer choice :)
My self it's a case of being honest and being able to sleep at night

If we damaged anything we will put it right and pay out my self to the highest standard

The only thing I've ever damaged in 35 years is 3 ecus where I then brought 3 new ones from the main dealer at £1000-1250 each
And repaired 1 door that I dinged

More than 40% of my work is fixing other tuners Remaps (who show they have had more power on there dyno than the car actually makes or the car goes into limp or they have used the tune from another car) or they have damaged the engine ecu when opening it or writing to it

It's always the same companies small or big (even the well know ones who get the best reviews that supply warranty) who leave customers cars to be towed away from they units or at there customers homes when the customers are left to payout to fix the own cars or told they need to get bmw to software update the ecu when the car still runs but they have damaged the ecus as they very well know they have damaged it and don't want the payout to fix it

I had 5 cars in last week with damaged ecus that have been to some very well know tuners who refused to fix or pay to fix there cars

This Monday I have 4 key sets here sent to me from all over the uk where different tuners have killed the customers ecus and refused to fix them

The amount of call I get for help or advance about these things every week

Then some of these customers go to ecus companies who take peoples money after a tuner has damaged the ecu which they supply a ecu that doesn't work at all so the customers end up out of pocket by £1000s and a car they still doesn't run till they get us to fix it

That's how I know the tuners warranty is not worth jack all

People need to post how they have been treated as these same tuners or companies will just keep doing the same to others

But people seem to be too scared to mention who has done this to them (many have had treats to them selfs and is for telling the customers the truth)

BW chiptune
-Tuning BMWs since 1991
BW autorepairs
-BMW Ecu repairs.

UK
0208 561 1818
07831 103030
Unit 8&9
alpha industrial estate
Clayton Rd
Hayes
Middlesex
UB3 1BB

or

Spain
Orihuela Costa
+34643890040
+447831103030

#14 ·
Hi, sorry to be that guy but I've joined to contribute to an old thread. Have been lurking for some time and this is a cool forum.

I've had my car for a few months and itching to remap it.

Lichfield were very good a few years back when I had a Subaru and I am looking at a stage 1. As far as I can tell, it's the same guy running the company so hopefully they are still killing it.

I wouldn't normally worry about warranties when using a reputable tuner, but my RS3 was TD1 flagged by an Audi dealer during a routine oil service and it was a pain in the arse come trade in.

I'm obviously gonna do it anyway, because 500bhp and this chassis is what me dreams are made of :D

But is there anything I need to know or worry about?

#15 ·
Any tuning box or remap will give anti-warranty tuning codes, but you seem to know that already.

Most people use either BM3 or MHD apps to tune theirs themselves on the driveway. Tried and tested OTS maps, reasonable price, remove the map yourself if it's icy out.

#18 ·
M2cs said:
Hi, sorry to be that guy but I've joined to contribute to an old thread. Have been lurking for some time and this is a cool forum.

I've had my car for a few months and itching to remap it.

Lichfield were very good a few years back when I had a Subaru and I am looking at a stage 1. As far as I can tell, it's the same guy running the company so hopefully they are still killing it.

I wouldn't normally worry about warranties when using a reputable tuner, but my RS3 was TD1 flagged by an Audi dealer during a routine oil service and it was a pain in the arse come trade in.

I'm obviously gonna do it anyway, because 500bhp and this chassis is what me dreams are made of :D

But is there anything I need to know or worry about?
I don't think a map alone gets you 500 bhp - what car is it? If it is an M2 comp then maybe but as far as I know hardware is required to get over the 500 mark such as fuel pump /down pipe / exhaust mods.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.