Clutch Judder?

Got a problem with your BMW 1 Series? Post your car problems here and seek advice from fellow car owners.

Moderators: Producethis, marco_polo, babybmwadmin, Lambster, Rich196

my08beamer

Re: Clutch Judder?

Post by my08beamer » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:33 pm

I hate to say it, but I have noticed ever so slight clutch judder on my 58plate 118d M Sport which has only done 2000 miles. Think its going to be booked in at the dealer after reading some of the threads on here - give then chance to take a look at it. It only seems to happen when its cold, but to me shouldnt do it at any time, no matter whether its cold or not.

We shall see what they say... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Red Ford Fiesta, Fiat Punto 1.2, Seat Ibiza SX 1.2, Seat Ibiza 1.9TDi Sport, BMW 118d SE with Dynamic Pack, 118d Crimson Red M Sport, Mercedes C200K Coupe, Audi S3, BMW 320d M Sport Titanium Silver

J-Dalby

Post by J-Dalby » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:59 am

Well well, it wasn't only mine then...

My 2006 118d has got the clutch judder too :(
When it's cold and I'm releasing the clutch, the whole car shakes and then it gets moving. But only in 1st.
Does someone know the cost of getting it replaced?

pursang

Post by pursang » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:38 pm

J-Dalby wrote:Well well, it wasn't only mine then...

My 2006 118d has got the clutch judder too :(
When it's cold and I'm releasing the clutch, the whole car shakes and then it gets moving. But only in 1st.
Does someone know the cost of getting it replaced?
Ring up your local dealer (if your car is still the BMW warranty) should be as 2006 model and get it booked in!
I do notice that 2006 models seem to have this problem as does some 2006 3 er :shock:

The dealer will try a replicate the judder and when they do it will be done under the warranty.
Mine was a 2006 118d, clutch and flywheel replaced........it was like driving a different car :D
BMW."Any Excuse To Drive The Longer Way Home"
"Oktoberfest Is Recommended When In Munich The Heart Of Bavaria And The Home Of BMW"

pursang

Post by pursang » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:41 pm

:shock: :shock: Reading back on the threads it seems some '08 models are suffering :shock: :shock:
"Oktoberfest Is Recommended When In Munich The Heart Of Bavaria And The Home Of BMW"

karlak
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by karlak » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:47 pm

pursang wrote::shock: :shock: Reading back on the threads it seems some '08 models are suffering :shock: :shock:

My '08 123d can do this first thing in the morning, is intermittant, and seems to do it as I reverse off the drive.
-SOLD- 123d M Sport - 3 Dr,Manual. Alpine White, Black Leather,Brushed Aluminium,Xenons,208M 18's, Pro Stereo, USB/Ipod, Bluetooth, Darkened Glass, Cruise, Alpine Speaker upgrade, Aero Spoiler

pursang

Post by pursang » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:50 pm

karlak wrote:
pursang wrote::shock: :shock: Reading back on the threads it seems some '08 models are suffering :shock: :shock:

My '08 123d can do this first thing in the morning, is intermittant, and seems to do it as I reverse off the drive.
Get back to your main dealer and let them check it out :!:

my08beamer

Post by my08beamer » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:40 pm

pursang wrote:
karlak wrote:

Get back to your main dealer and let them check it out :!:
Mine too - got it booked in for next Wed!! Cant believe it, its only 6 weeks old!!!!!
Red Ford Fiesta, Fiat Punto 1.2, Seat Ibiza SX 1.2, Seat Ibiza 1.9TDi Sport, BMW 118d SE with Dynamic Pack, 118d Crimson Red M Sport, Mercedes C200K Coupe, Audi S3, BMW 320d M Sport Titanium Silver

fwa1

Post by fwa1 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:03 am

karlak wrote:

This is EXACTLY it. Reversing off the drive and then judder as you pull away.

Took me 18 months to get them to fix it.

gmcelroy
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by gmcelroy » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:11 pm

My car was in the local dealer to look at this issue on Monday & Tuesday this week, and after performing various tests and driving it they said they could find no issues with it and there was nothing logged in the fault memory.

However, as soon as I drove the car I could tell that something had definately changed as the clutch action was different and no longer felt "sticky", the judder has also been completely absent even in the cold of the last 2 days! I've driven over 350 miles in the last 2 days and both the clutch and general running of the car seem to have improved - I'm wondering if when it was connected upto the diagnostics it updated the S/w or something :?

I even managed 40.4mpg ave fuel consumption on a run from Preston to Hastings :D

my08beamer

Post by my08beamer » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:15 pm

Mines just been back to Williams today to have the clutch sorted out with this juddering and squeaky pedal. So far so good, just a matter of time to see if they have fixed it 100%

deanocoops

Post by deanocoops » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:27 am

Mine has just started doing this too! :-( at 7800 miles too...... think its pretty poor!!!

think a trip to dealers after xmas is in order if gets any worse!!

dantheman
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by dantheman » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:42 pm

The more I think about this the more my mind wanders back onto the clutch delay valve issue (almost like it's sticking when cold)....

Hmmmm. :?
2016 LCI F20 M135i Auto - Alpine White / Coral

my08beamer

Post by my08beamer » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:48 pm

dantheman wrote:The more I think about this the more my mind wanders back onto the clutch delay valve issue (almost like it's sticking when cold)....

Hmmmm. :?
Mmmmmmmmmmm, before mine went back into Williams, it would only do it when it was cold!! Since it has come back from Williams Ive not had chance to drive it from cold due to being ill - shall look out to see if the issue re-occurs when cold!! Should be some cold nights upon us so I can try it!!

minbari

Post by minbari » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:02 pm

My March 2005 120D went in for a service last week. Had an oil change, brake fluid (a bit early), inspection. Only the 2nd service I've had. Car is now at 37,000 miles. Anyway, the clutch judder has gone. It was quite bad for about the last 6 months. I guess they adjusted something as part of the standard service and that's cured it. I didn't even tell the garage about the problem so I'm not sure they've done anything special. I'm really happy as I will probably keep the car a bit longer now (job is not as secure as it once was).
120d in Sydney Blue, Moire Anthracite Cloth, Prof Radio, Folding Mirrors, Isofix, Cruise Control, rain sensor.

Smartmac
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Smartmac » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:41 pm

My car is now 4 years old and it has been doing this on and off since day one. Sometimes it will go months without doing it and then it will happen again on a cold and damp morning. I gave up trying to get it fixed 100% as it only happens around 1% of the times and it will always go away after a few miles.
120d Sport gone. Now driving the car with the longest name I have ever seen. Mercedes C250 CDI Sports Coupe BlueEfficiency AMG.

Return to “BMW Problems”