Baby BMW Forum banner
  • The monthly Photo Competition is back! Click HERE to enter
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a few months into owning an M235i (2015 Auto) and one of my biggest complaints about the car is how aggressively it wants to move off (mainly on a cold start), when put into drive and fully on the brakes the car just really wants to go, if I release pressure off the brakes even a little it creeps forward really quite quick. If I do end up moving off slowly it generally involves a lot of groaning from the car as it's straining to go.

This post sums up the issue exactly, I find it's not an issue the majority of the time but in situations where you need the fine control it seems to be a real pain.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for this or should I just get used to it at this point?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Is this only happening on cold start? If so, just let the car warm up and the revs drop before pulling off. My BMW bike does this on cold start and it's quite hairy pulling off befor the revs drop. I generally let the bike warm up these days.

Reactions: jb34

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is this only happening on cold start? If so, just let the car warm up and the revs drop before pulling off. My BMW bike does this on cold start and it's quite hairy pulling off before the revs drop. I generally let the bike warm up these days.
Thanks Simon, and I would say it's only on a cold start yes. letting the revs drop down first does help for sure but it still tends to be quite aggressive even after sitting for a bit.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Thanks Simon, and I would say it's only on a cold start yes. letting the revs drop down first does help for sure but it still tends to be quite aggressive even after sitting for a bit.
Does it happen in comfort? Has the car been mapped?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a 118D and mine does this too, almost as if the idle is set to high, I just assumed its a normal thing and have got used to it. Mine is mapped but id did it before that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 118D and mine does this too, almost as if the idle is set to high, I just assumed its a normal thing and have got used to it. Mine is mapped but id did it before that.
Thanks, that's interesting to hear as I thought it might have been something that mainly affected N55/B58 models.

To be honest I am getting more and more used to it but there is a real fine line between moving slowly and lurching forward when putting pressure on the brakes.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
The idle is much higher on a 118d, that isnt a great data point. On the 6 cylinder it is at around 750rpm so if you let the idle settle first box creep is perfectly manageable. Wait 10-15secs after starting and you wont have an issue, jump in and gun it during cold start and yes it will be jerky

Reactions: jb34

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Yes mine does this too, its just the higher fuelling and revs on cold start up, let it run 30 seconds you will feel the revs easing back then put in gear, you should find this smoother.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
+1 for waiting a while on cold start-up before engaging the engine:

It starts at 1200 rpm then drops quite quickly to 900 rpm then after about 30 seconds, moves down to 700 rpm. I certainly don't engage and move the car before it's dropped to 900 and if at all possible, I'll wait until it settles to its base idling speed to 700 (it seems to drop 900>700 in a couple of steps, as you see in the video), This is in the default comfort setting.

If I'm in stop-start traffic, I'll usually switch to EcoPro, as this seems to suppress the throttle action and make travel smoother. Although someone pointed out to me that this is more apparent then real, inasmuch as I could use be more sensitive on the throtte in comfort, and it'd have the same effect. But what it really means is that I can get the smoother movement without having to focus hard on fine foot control.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm a few months into owning an M235i (2015 Auto) and one of my biggest complaints about the car is how aggressively it wants to move off (mainly on a cold start), when put into drive and fully on the brakes the car just really wants to go, if I release pressure off the brakes even a little it creeps forward really quite quick. If I do end up moving off slowly it generally involves a lot of groaning from the car as it's straining to go.

This post sums up the issue exactly, I find it's not an issue the majority of the time but in situations where you need the fine control it seems to be a real pain.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for this or should I just get used to it at this point?

Thanks.
Hi Sounds to me as an auto-trans problem Car should sit at idle without moving-off. Have service done on autotrans. At the same time the idle is too high
. Unless getting it tuned I'd do what others say ...keep it in park until the idle drops to say 750...or turn on the aircond and see whether rpm drops......
which may increase or decrease the revs'. In fact are you starting it with air-cond'on' as that in some cars will immediately take it to over 1000rpm
and then ease off...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Sounds to me as an auto-trans problem Car should sit at idle without moving-off. Have service done on autotrans. At the same time the idle is too high
. Unless getting it tuned I'd do what others say ...keep it in park until the idle drops to say 750...or turn on the aircond and see whether rpm drops......
which may increase or decrease the revs'. In fact are you starting it with air-cond'on' as that in some cars will immediately take it to over 1000rpm
and then ease off...
Not creeping might be true of more comfort oriented automatic cars but the M135/M140 will have a torque converter with a lower stall speed. That’s why they creep from a standstill. They will stall a lot sooner transferring more drive and having less slip than a higher stall one on a less performance focused car. Nothing to do with a transmission issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts