Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I picked up my 1st z3 today. 2001 2.2. 98000. I drove home a distance of 19 miles and the fuel gauge went down over a quarter of a tank ? . Also I wasn't that impressed with the power. I owned a 318i years ago on a D plate 1986 it was much quicker. Any ideas please?

·
Administrator
4,015 Posts
Welcome :)

This is a 1 & 2 series forum, so Zs are out of our area of expertise I'm afraid. You could try posting on Bimmerforums - they have a Z board 👍

I'd start by reading codes, at about 7mpg something must be fairly wrong, and usually the car knows about it. If there's nothing showing, have a look at the MAF and see what brand it is; dodgy eBay MAF sensors can cause all sorts of trouble on the M54, the only safe bet is an OEM Siemens/VDO, but they're pricy.

Failing that, I'd check the thermostat to make sure it's getting up to temp, then try live data on the MAF/O2 sensors.

Could always be dodgy fuel or old plugs/sludged up oil too – did the previous owner drive it much and keep it serviced?

FYI one of my old E46s had the exact same engine (M54B22) - that got around 23mpg in an equal mix of traffic, B roads and A roads in a much heavier car, so yours should be capable of better!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts