Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ve just retrofitted a xenon headlights (ALS)with led eyelid and have some questions.
I switch my FMR for a FMR II, so the eyelid is not working.
My questions are.

1 The eyelid when does it work? With daylylights ( angel eyes), with postion lights or with lowbeams ( or with both two). I am thinking to make a bridge and give power to the eyelids.
2 It is any different between cornering an ALS? My car has (at least) cornering, the halogen interior light turns when I turn the steering wheel, does this mean that also the exterior bixenon turn a high speed?
3 I undersetood that for working with xenon I need to have led lights in the rear. My xenon is working with halogen, how can this be?

Thank you

· Administrator
4,146 Posts
1 The eyelid/eyebrow will not work using the factory plug unless you have a 2011+ E82 that had them from the factory. If you don't, you'll need to bridge the wire from the angel eyes.
2 What year is your car? What lights did you have originally - halogen, xenon or adaptive xenon?
3 Xenon cars require LED rear lights to work properly. If you have the original non-LED rear lights, your rear brake lights and sidelights will not function.

Has your new FRM been coded to the car?

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for answer.
1, I know, so I need to bridge the Angel eyes to the eyelid. This means that the eyelid only will work with the daylight (Angel eyes) So will never work when dipping lights, long and short beams. Is that right? Because in e90 I think it works also with short beams.
2. MY car is an e87 from DEC 07. ORiginally I have halogen. Now I have retrofit to xenon, I install eyelids headlights adaptative, FMR II, and xenon sensors. My problem is that the eye lid is not working because they need FMR III so that is why I am going to bridge them, but wanted to know with which lamps should I bridges. If I bridges with daylights, then it never works with other lights, which is confusing to me. as I said I think in E90 is working with short beams.
3. That s the theory. My car has bixenon adaptative and halogen in the rear and I can swear to God that is working. I came from Spain to Düsseldorf and the lights were working properly. I heard that is a recomendation..., or perhaps only need leds if you have FMRIII, but with FMRII you dont need leds, because I dont have it.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am going to upload the following picture for fully underestand

1 IS the low and high beam bixenon with ALS
2 Cornering and dippedlight
3 Daylight
4 Eyelid led

So The eyelid led only can work with the 3 DAylight, with no other combination?

2 is t
Automotive lighting Product Automotive design Automotive exterior Font

· Administrator
4,146 Posts
Have you re-wired the car for the adaptives, then coded them in? Your diagram makes me think the retrofit is incomplete - 2 should not be the dipped beam, but if the lights are not wired correctly it will be. That would also explain why your halogen rears work properly!

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I have rewired to the pins in the FMRII, low and high beams works properly, day lights (angel eye) also works ok, dipped beams ok, cornering ok. If cornering is working ok I also asume that ALS should be working.

1 What do you mean with ...2 should not be the dipped beam, but if the lights are not wired correctly it will be
Why do you think that my retrofit is not properly done. Only I can verify if ALS is working, IS there a way to verify?

Thankyou for your help.

· Administrator
4,146 Posts
The light you've circled as 2 should only be the cornering lamp, not the dipped beam. The only time one should ever come on is when it's dark, you're indicating that way, and your speed is below 40km/h. If they come on at any other time, something is wired wrong - here's a screenshot of the technical manual:

Did the coding go ok? VO changed and written, then the new FRM, CAS, Kombi, DSC, JBE and both AHL modules coded to default? No errors?

· Administrator
4,146 Posts
Re the eyebrow light, your angel eyes can be set to stay on permanently using the menu in the instrument cluster/idrive. Once that's done, they'll stay on no matter what position the switch is in - even if you turn the switch to 0, the angel eyes/eyebrow would still be on unless you go back into the menu and disable it. Here's a screenshot of how someone else wired them in:

Sorry for all the questions - just trying to rule things out one by one :)

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for your answers, I appreciate your help very much. After reading your message I found the following comments.

1. I underestand that the cornering are not the dipplight. Then where is the dipplight as far as the Angel Eyes are the daylight. In Europe basically we have long and low beams, for night, but at dawn we also have what we call "luces de posicion" (dipped lights) different from daylights that is mostly a new thing.

2. So in your last messages the eyebrown has to be jumper wired to Angel eyes, and then select in the car if want both, eye brown and angel eyes permanent or not.

3 Regarding the using of the cornering, I can see that is different whether the car is for US market or European market, as far as I bought the FMRII in US I will expect some problems with my next TÜV here in Germany, lets see how I will sort it out.

4. Also I see some videos that the xenon turns even when stop to mimic the AHL, so I asume that the AHL works also at low speed.

5. Still is possible that everything is working properly with no error and also still halogen in the rear?:sneaky:

Thank you for your help

1 - 9 of 9 Posts