Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might actually be my first post on here, but it’s certainly not the circumstances I thought it would be!

So anyone up for a Friday game of “Is it a write off”?
Having never being involved in a crash (another car went through a red light into me) I’ve no idea what they can/can’t do. As far as I can tell, nothing mechanical (can steer/drive), nothing leaking and no airbags.
Particularly frustrating as I had 4 new tyres yesterday, a full tank and a track day booked for a week and a half’s time. Typical.
Usual stuff of I’m fine etc etc.
If anyone want a prize you can have a bit of broken headlight :)
Vehicle registration plate Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sorry to hear of your bad luck ...looks expensive to fix ...but hopefully not a write off as being a 19 plate it's still worth around 25 k to replace ...

·
Super Moderator
237 Posts
That's unfortunate, hope you're okay.

I purchased a car with very similar damage, similar age at the time - it was a Cat N because the crash bar had been impacted as yours has.

If the wheel has also been bent backwards (can't tell in your picture) then you're looking at almost definitely Cat N and potential Cat S territory.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. The wheel is actually ok, just the bumper moved back slightly and the wheel arch liner being out of place, but as far as I can tell from a quick look around there nothing appears to be bent.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And no dash cam and I think it’s just out of range of the car park cctv unfortunately. I did film them admitting liability, though don’t know if that means anything!

·
Registered
166 Posts
My friend had a similar accident but a little less severe just weeks ago in his 2019 M4. The repair bill for a new bumper, grilles, headlight and carbon bits came in at 9k. Looks like you'd need a crash bar and wheel linings plus anything else underneath. My guess is that it will be a write off.

·
Super Moderator
65,232 Posts
No, I can’t see that being a financial write-off.

It looks to me like £8k cosmetic damage on a £24k vehicle?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Glad you're okay! It's always a ****ter.

I'd err on the side of caution and think could be a write off. From my experience insurance companies seem far too trigger happy to pull the plug on repairable cars.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Insurance companies will do what is best for them. If it's cheaper to write the car off and sell it to a 3rd party for repair, they will do that every time. Whoever buys and repairs the car will do it far cheaper than an approved body shop, but possibly not to the same standard!

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
My 17 plate had £10k's worth of damage in April, so yours will deffo not be written off.

·
Super Moderator
237 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
That won’t be a write off. It will be a big bill though!

I work in a dealership with a bodyshop and it is quite frankly amazing the work they can do, you’ll have it back looking as good as it did before.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Good that you aren’t injured.

Depends what the repairer quotes and how the insurance company feels. Simple calculation for them - which is cheaper?
Give you the money and sell the wreck? Or pay for repairs? If someone else is at fault they’re more likely to repair. The other driver’s insurer foots the bill.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts