Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have a 118d 2007, installed a tunit box and had full stainless exhaust fitted. really happy but would like more pull in all gears.

suggestions please however i dont want to void my warranty which is why i opted for the box ,

also looking for ac schnitzer front bumper if anyone knows of a good price

·
Registered
693 Posts
Only thing I can think of is NOS other than that as said bigger engine which would mean change you car of cost grounds!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Much more power = much more cost.
You would be better getting rid in exchange for the 120d with 177 then chipping that up to about 210...or pushing the boat out and getting the 123d...if you must have a diesel. If out and out performance is what you are after...a 130 is the way to go as you should be able to haggle the price due to current market conditions and 30mpg at 99p a litre is not that bad compared to 40mpg at 112p a litre...

·
Registered
284 Posts
12000 miles at 30mpg/99.9p = £1816
12000 miles at 40mpg/112.9p = £1539
12000 miles at 45mpg/112.9p = £1368

For a petrol car doing 30mpg it would only start to be cheaper than a diesel doing 40mpg if the fuel costs around 28p a litre less.

Having said that, by the time you've spent a small fortune making your 118d more powerful you might as well have just bought a 130i and taken the hit on a few hundred pounds of extra fuel each year.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
youmustbcrazy said:
hi i have a 118d 2007, installed a tunit box and had full stainless exhaust fitted. really happy but would like more pull in all gears.

suggestions please however i dont want to void my warranty which is why i opted for the box ,

also looking for ac schnitzer front bumper if anyone knows of a good price
Like everyone has said, dont think you will get much more. Your better of getting a remap than a box for starters.

What exhust did you get and did that make much of a difference?

·
Registered
7 Posts
If I only did 12k a year I'd forego the 40plus mpg for the aural delight of that 3litre straight six...£450 a year, or £40 a month is worth it...
As I do 20k plus, I am satisfied with the 205hp/300lbft of the 120d and the 130 beating torque in gear..... :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
For everyone who has a turbo diesel have you heard of ceramic coating? Zircotec are the worlds leading specilaist and supply the likes of Lamborghini, Koenigsegg & Zonda to name a few and they coat carbon fibre parts for leading F1 teams.

I spoke to their sales manager Peter Whyman this week. They coat a turbo housing for £125 and the downpipe for £40, plus you can do your manifold for around £250. The benefits of this is quicker turbo response by around 400RPM possibly more! They have proved this with an Impreza done by Cosworth using a full data logger to show it.

Getting mine done in a few months once the budget is there!

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
This will increase heat into the air coming in through the turbo though so an intercooler upgrade could make a big difference if you go this route, probably make a difference anyways.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
stuartc said:
For everyone who has a turbo diesel have you heard of ceramic coating? Zircotec are the worlds leading specilaist and supply the likes of Lamborghini, Koenigsegg & Zonda to name a few and they coat carbon fibre parts for leading F1 teams.

I spoke to their sales manager Peter Whyman this week. They coat a turbo housing for £125 and the downpipe for £40, plus you can do your manifold for around £250. The benefits of this is quicker turbo response by around 400RPM possibly more! They have proved this with an Impreza done by Cosworth using a full data logger to show it.

Getting mine done in a few months once the budget is there!
Thats interesting and not expensive either!!

So wonder what output/drive would be achieved on a 120d with FMIC, full exhaust and above coating.

Take into account that Speed Religion have proven 20bhp increase with their exhaust, 240+ maybe??

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
details! please tell more about exhaust as Mines getting quite rusty now and sick of looking at that crappy rusty end pipe! lol! And if i get a performance boost then even better!!

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Cheers have done no details, other than straight through with twin exit, i know someone who can knock up what ever we want and he's nearer both of us than speed religion, if your interested in an exhaust for yours let me know might be able to get you a deal on price! I'll just get him to make me up a 2.5" mandrel bent stainless steel system with just a race centre box and a straight through pipe out the back and see how that goes if it gets me a 10-15bhp gain I'll be happy anything more than that I'll be ecstatic! Going to try and get the intercooler upgrade done as well Allard are willing to make one should help things along as well! If i can get about 235-240bhp on stock turbo will be very happy bunny :O)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Rjudgey said:
Going to try and get the intercooler upgrade done as well Allard are willing to make one should help things along as well!
I've just been in touch with Allard, and had a response today. They say a 500x300x52mm uprated air to air intercooler would be about £300 for the part (ie hoses and fitting extra). Looks a good deal, and imo a worthwhile upgrade to maintain low intake temps. Also found a great indie, close by called NCB Autokraft (seems M5 owners have great respect for this outfit) and they can deal with the newer BMWs (ie the have the right computers/software to do the coding)

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
That seems a fair price. Evolve are speaking to Forge for me. They recon a new map with a FMIC will get some good gains.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Hi mate

They are not 100% sure as it would need to have another custom map but they recon around 20bhp I think. Add a new exhaust and the dervs will be hunting down the gas guzzlers :p

To be honest I don't think it will screw the warranty. I have read a letter on here or somewhere stating that only the changed/upgraded part wont be covered. Also someone on here had a new turbo fitted under warranty with a map and no questions!!

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'm not too worried about the map, as you mentioned dealers don't look for it, I had mine serviced today and there was no mention.
However an upgraded part is going to be a much more obvious change, and could they potentially say it's putting more stress on turbos etc due to the performance increase?

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
warranty
Well if your that worried about it and you do lots of mileage i would stick with the stock one till your warranty is nearly run out or you have a new turbo fitted then change it if it's near the end of warranty. If anything you could argue the intercooler is better for the engine but i don't think they'll buy that lol!
And yes i didn't have any issues with having 3 turbos changed in 3 years with a remap! Just said it was a cracking engine and how good V power diesel is!! :O) hehe!
Hmmm really want to have the intercooler done but don't really want my map changed again as it's pretty sweet if anything it's a bit rich and could probably run the intercooler straight out the box but what i really want to see is an exhaust on one of these still waiting for some feedback on this! lol! Would be nice to get 240-250bhp and 330-350lbft with good reliability and less weight of not having the twin turbo setup!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.