Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone confirm if there were ever colour/finish options on window trim?

By trim, I'm referring to the lower seal that is sometimes called the scraper, which sits on the upper surface of the door, with soft rubber facing the glass.
The question is whether these trims/scrapers/outer seals were always black, or if other customer spec options were available, such as chrome for example.

So far I've only seen black but wanted to be clearer on this one.

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
925 Posts
I have seen at least one M2 (OG) advertised with chrome trims around the windows, but I can't remember if that included the 'scraper'. My car has the shadow line trim as an option (S760 High Gloss Shadow Line I believe). I think the silver trims are less common with most going for shadow line.

Edit: a little googling and I think the scraper is also chrome when the shadow line trim is not spec'd from new.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have seen at least one M2 (OG) advertised with chrome trims around the windows, but I can't remember if that included the 'scraper'. My car has the shadow line trim as an option (S760 High Gloss Shadow Line I believe). I think the silver trims are less common with most going for shadow line.

Edit: a little googling and I think the scraper is also chrome when the shadow line trim is not spec'd from new.
I've yet to confirm the detail of the spec and how that translates visually, but think it was chrome trim spec that has been wrapped. So that could be window trims and roof gutter, need to confirm. Other aspects of a car I'm going to see are positive and have my attention.

I'm not that clued up on wraps, other than to know full body wraps can cover a host of sins. However I have learnt that apparently "de-chroming" using wrap is quite common, with even main dealers using it.
I need to see it and understand the longevity and maintenance implications. On the flipside I'm well aware of how standard black/rubber trims can suffer from UV fade and cracking, so one train of thought could be if the wrap process is high quality, and no chrome is visible, it may not be a bad thing in terms of final effect. I stand to be advised if anyone has more insight in this area!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree; if it's done well, with a quality vinyl, it can be a decent alternative to replacing trims.
Indeed, I've been schooling up on this wrap lark today, and spoken to a couple of companies, one of which impressed me with their helpfulness and knowledge, so I've learnt a bit more in terms of brands, finishes and quality/longevity. Next step is to check out a couple of cars, one of which has Chrome Line 0346, that someone may have cheaply wrapped, and it may in fact look better removed, as well as being a little different. From some photos I've seen it actually seemed to tie into the front grille, side vents and wheels better than I thought it might.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to close this one off....I was initially working on description only, when considering that AUC. I got to see the finish in question and it wasn't good.
If it had been wrapped by a "pro" then someone got ripped off! Anyway what I saw was a section where it had failed revealing some underlying chrome, so it was an attempt to de-chrome on the cheap. Just as bad, or maybe worse, there was a very obvious join at the B pillar that just couldn't be unseen.

As I mentioned, the build sheet listed "0346 Chrome Line exterieur" so I just needed to know what it was like underneath the wrap.
In discussions the dealer agreed that if it was damaged underneath and I wanted the car, they'd sort it however, which was reassuring.

Then I saw the car again with it removed. The chrome trim was mint. Then it clicked for me. Combined with LBB I just warmed to it immediately.
The car is now mine, as you may have guessed (!) and I actually like not having the same trim option as most cars.
:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts