Baby BMW Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Registered
BMW E87 118i N43 2007🔥
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I hate to sound like your Dad but you need to do what the rest of us did: serve your time in an unexciting car, try not to break anything, dont crash, dont get nicked and before you know it insurance costs are just an afterthought ;)
You did actually sound like my dad and some of my friends lol. Listen, owning a 118i at a young age can be hard, my insurance costs £3400, for a bmw, and for any other car even a 999c engine, it costs £2700, to be honest i have no problem paying that £700 more, and owning a bmw. Im not the first driver now that's the problem, im added to my dad's insurance company two cars, two drivers and its coming up at £420 a month, my dad has got only 3 NCB, as we are not from the uk. I need to transfer my car owenrship to myself and insure it my self, and it will cost £3400 as i have said.

· Registered
BMW E87 118i N43 2007🔥
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
yeah, I understand it’s not easy when you’re young, just keep that no claims bonus and no points and it’ll get cheaper
Needs a lot of time, my insurance now is £3400, after a years it will be £1900, its a huge different if im the first driver, so i definitely need to be the first driver for a year

· Registered
1,482 Posts
I am assuming by "first driver" you mean "main driver".

It sounds like your dad is the policy holder. Which is, in itself, not an issue in any way.

It also sounds as though you are the main driver. It sounds as though you are the owner and your dad is merely the registered keeper.

If your dad has declared you as the main driver, and also that he is not the owner (and these questions are always asked in some way) then that is absolutely fine.

If he hasn't then there are a bunch of issues. It's known as "fronting".

In the event of a claim there will be a requirement, under a statement of truth, to answer their questions. Pretty much everything on the application will be covered. Any discrepancy will raise a red flag, as will the fact you, as named driver, were the driver at the time.

If the insurers believe fronting has taken place they will either make the policy "void ab inito" or refuse indemnity.

If you have just run into a ditch you're down a car.

The real problem is other damages. If it happened to be a bus stand of people it's a bigger problem since you will be on the hook for all their settlement. Ultimately that could be everything you own, and are ever likely to. As policyholder your Dad may well be on the hook in exactly the same way.

You will also get an associated fraud marker. That will cause a lifetime of pain obtaining any insurance at at any price.

Of course, as mentioned, if the questions were accurately answered it is not an issue.

· Registered
BMW E87 118i N43 2007🔥
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I am assuming by "first driver" you mean "main driver".

It sounds like your dad is the policy holder. Which is, in itself, not an issue in any way.

It also sounds as though you are the main driver. It sounds as though you are the owner and your dad is merely the registered keeper.

If your dad has declared you as the main driver, and also that he is not the owner (and these questions are always asked in some way) then that is absolutely fine.

If he hasn't then there are a bunch of issues. It's known as "fronting".

In the event of a claim there will be a requirement, under a statement of truth, to answer their questions. Pretty much everything on the application will be covered. Any discrepancy will raise a red flag, as will the fact you, as named driver, were the driver at the time.

If the insurers believe fronting has taken place they will either make the policy "void ab inito" or refuse indemnity.

If you have just run into a ditch you're down a car.

The real problem is other damages. If it happened to be a bus stand of people it's a bigger problem since you will be on the hook for all their settlement. Ultimately that could be everything you own, and are ever likely to. As policyholder your Dad may well be on the hook in exactly the same way.

You will also get an associated fraud marker. That will cause a lifetime of pain obtaining any insurance at at any price.

Of course, as mentioned, if the questions were accurately answered it is not an issue.
My dad is the policyholder and the owner of the car, im just a named driver driving the car. I don't think thats a problem. Whenever i can afford insurance, i will transfer the car to my own name it i will be the owner of it, that means i will have my own policy and i will be the main driver of the car, and that means i will be the NCB holder, and my dad will be the named driver.

· Registered
1,482 Posts
Well who uses the car the most. That's the main driver and what the insurer wants to know.

You may be not realising there is a difference between the registered keeper and the owner.

If your dad bought the car he is the owner. If you did you are.

Ultimately of course it's down to you. I was merely pointing the possible pitfalls.

· Registered
BMW E87 118i N43 2007🔥
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Well who uses the car the most. That's the main driver and what the insurer wants to know.

You may be not realising there is a difference between the registered keeper and the owner.

If your dad bought the car he is the owner. If you did you are.

Ultimately of course it's down to you. I was merely pointing the possible pitfalls.
My dad has bought the car, tho im the second driver on it on the insurance

· Registered
2,638 Posts
Ahmad, don't risk your Dad's NCD by doing silly things with the car, it would be so easy to wrap it around a lamppost. Drive sensibly until you have your own insurance.

Reactions: Ahmad Albarazi
21 - 30 of 30 Posts