Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Registered
BMW E87 118i N43 2007馃敟
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, guys as you know, everyone likes drifting, i have a 118i e87 Se, im young and you know i love drifting, and im still learning, but i just want to ask, will doing small drifts damage my car?, i mean im not even drifting, its just traction off and flooring it on first gear, its not going that wide, you get what i mean.

Registered
Book some time on the Caterham drift course

Reactions: Ahmad Albarazi

Registered
You鈥檒l wear the clutch and flywheel quicker if you鈥檙e dumping it to initiate wheel spin and break traction, I would say you are putting your gear box at increased risk of failure, similar with all the rubber components in the prop shaft, the differential is not as heavy duty as the larger engined cars so is more likely to wear/fail.

It鈥檚 easier on the car doing it in the wet as the car doesn鈥檛 have to work as hard to break traction to get the drift going. Also constantly running an engine at high RPM in low gears is not going to result in the needed airflow through the radiators so if your cooling system is weak you鈥檒l probably find out about it.

If your car is well maintained and you do it occasionally I can鈥檛 see a huge problem with reliability, if you are doing it all the time and don鈥檛 maintain the car it鈥檚 probably going to break as it just wasn鈥檛 designed for that kind of driving.

Registered
Really!? Just wait until the snow comes - you'll have plenty of opportunity then.:cautious:

Registered
In anything resembling a public space - like the ever popular car park - it's not particularly conducive to maintaining your driving licence.

You may regard the public who send footage, the car park owners who send their cctv when they find they have an issue, or those who trawl you tube etc as intefering busybodies/killjoys but the authorities don't.

Pick your location accordingly.

Registered
BMW E87 118i N43 2007馃敟
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unless you hit something, no you wont do any major damage that you wouldnt under normal driving particularly if youre just lighting the tyres up out of junctions etc.

Well I'm not actually drifting at high RPMS all the time, Im not using the clutch it's just, turning the wheel for example to the right and flooring it and that is it

Registered
BMW E87 118i N43 2007馃敟
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In anything resembling a public space - like the ever popular car park - it's not particularly conducive to maintaining your driving licence.

You may regard the public who send footage, the car park owners who send their cctv when they find they have an issue, or those who trawl you tube etc as intefering busybodies/killjoys but the authorities don't.

Pick your location accordingly.
I know this is a big risk to my driving license, but the location I'm drifting at doesn't have any CCTV and it's safe

Registered
BMW E87 118i N43 2007馃敟
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You鈥檒l wear the clutch and flywheel quicker if you鈥檙e dumping it to initiate wheel spin and break traction, I would say you are putting your gear box at increased risk of failure, similar with all the rubber components in the prop shaft, the differential is not as heavy duty as the larger engined cars so is more likely to wear/fail.

It鈥檚 easier on the car doing it in the wet as the car doesn鈥檛 have to work as hard to break traction to get the drift going. Also constantly running an engine at high RPM in low gears is not going to result in the needed airflow through the radiators so if your cooling system is weak you鈥檒l probably find out about it.

If your car is well maintained and you do it occasionally I can鈥檛 see a huge problem with reliability, if you are doing it all the time and don鈥檛 maintain the car it鈥檚 probably going to break as it just wasn鈥檛 designed for that kind of driving.
Well, as I said it's not considered drifting, turning the wheels and flooring it isn't really really drifting, it's a small drift

Registered
Here is a video, I know you are going to laugh watching this because it's not considered as drifting but what ever 馃檭
Dude, thats not drifting, thats understeering :lol:

In all seriousness its not easy to make an open diff car go sideways and even harder to keep it sideways, if I were in your shoes and wanting to drift Id be looking for an old E36 or MX5 to weld the diff on.
Getting the back end out of a junction or even the odd donut wont do the car any harm but before you know it youll be sliding roundabouts and transitioning junctions, its much better to go balls deep with drifting as the crashes tend to happen when youre trying to hold back :lol:

Super Moderator
Reactions: Ahmad Albarazi

Registered
BMW E87 118i N43 2007馃敟
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dude, thats not drifting, thats understeering :lol:

In all seriousness its not easy to make an open diff car go sideways and even harder to keep it sideways, if I were in your shoes and wanting to drift Id be looking for an old E36 or MX5 to weld the diff on.
Getting the back end out of a junction or even the odd donut wont do the car any harm but before you know it youll be sliding roundabouts and transitioning junctions, its much better to go balls deep with drifting as the crashes tend to happen when youre trying to hold back :lol:
Yep i know its not drifting

1 - 20 of 30 Posts