Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Evening guys, I'm currently looking at ordering a set of SL01 in a custom fitment and move to a squared setup instead of staggered.

I'm currently looking to order 18x8.5 ET40, this should allow me to run a squared setup of 255/35/18. I don't want to run spacers, but still want to have the arches filled, is this the best offset to choose? Will I have to run spacers for any shock clearance?

Many thanks in advanced :)

EDIT : Thought I would mention I am planning on fitting B14's and will inevitably be running the car lower.

·
Super Moderator
65,175 Posts
Are you on standard length front wishbones?

255 at ET40 rear are going to be pretty tight to the arches, don’t be surprised if you need a light arch roll. I’d usually recommend ET44+ rears.

Maybe consider ET42 square as a compromise?

·
Super Moderator
65,175 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you on standard length front wishbones?

255 at ET40 rear are going to be pretty tight to the arches, don’t be surprised if you need a light arch roll. I’d usually recommend ET44+ rears.

Maybe consider ET42 square as a compromise?
Morning Marco, standard length arms with no plans to change at the moment. Camber/caster plates are on the cards though, but these would only help the situation. What ET are the standard 441m wheels?

Are 8.5 ET42 a guaranteed fit?

🙌🏼

·
Super Moderator
65,175 Posts
No, I’m not guaranteeing anything sadly, you’re right on the cusp of what’s possible, and I don’t know the diameter of the B14 bodies.

441m rears are 8.5Jx18 ET47, if that’s what you’re asking?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I run 255/35/18 square on 8.5J ET40 (+3mm spacer up front) with B16 and M arms. Get occassional rub on the front near side due to the extra castor from the arms. Usually when I have a passenger, in comfort mode under a big compression.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I run 255/35/18 square on 8.5J ET40 (+3mm spacer up front) with B16 and M arms. Get occassional rub on the front near side due to the extra castor from the arms. Usually when I have a passenger, in comfort mode under a big compression.
Cheers for the help so far both of you.
Are you running spacers on the front to clear the struts or just for looks?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Would they foul the struts without the 3mm spacers?
Should be fine without the extra 3mm, not sure if I've actually tried it or not, can't recall. I could try fitting a wheel up without and let you know.
I don't run the spacer for looks, I leave them on as I need them for my track wheels, plus a little extra clearance on the strut isn't a bad thing.

Probably largely depends on the tyre too, some have bigger rim protectors etc.

It is worth noting that I am running adaptive, but the B16 DTC struts are of a smaller diameter than the OEM adaptive struts, only a few mm but every little helps on the inboard. Whether the B14 struts are of a smaller diameter than the OEM, I am usnure.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’ll be running Goodyear F1 Supersports so not a super aggressive sidewall. Last thing I want to do is drop £1600 on wheels and tyres and them not fit without some major modifications! Is the only concern with 8.5 et42 255 on the front the possibility of them rubbing on the damper? Are we happy 8.5 et42 255 will work on the rear?

·
Super Moderator
65,175 Posts
No, I'm not happy. 255 at ET42 rear are going to be pretty close to the rear arches on an F20, don’t be surprised if you need a light arch roll.

I’d usually recommend ET44 / ET45 rears, but you particularly wanted a square setup. Maybe you'd be best with ET45 and 5mm front spacers??

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, I'm not happy. 255 at ET42 rear are going to be pretty close to the rear arches on an F20, don’t be surprised if you need a light arch roll.

I’d usually recommend ET44 / ET45 rears, but you particularly wanted a square setup. Maybe you'd be best with ET45 and 5mm front spacers??
Highest offset they offer for this design is ET42 😢

danb21t are you having any issues on the rear with 8.5 et40 255?

·
Super Moderator
65,175 Posts
I don’t think danb21t has an F20, make sure to compare apples with apples.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I am f22, Marco knows better than I on the extact differences of the rear arches between the designations.

I also run GY EF1 SS. How come you've jumped at E42 now? I run ET42 square on my track wheels, there is a picture of my car on semi slicks in another thread somewhere.

I did roll the arch lip on all corners as well, very simple to do with a breaker bar, nylon sleeved socket, and piece of wood.
Camber plates inbound for me once I can be bothered to fit them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Well I took a gamble and ordered the 18x8.5 et42 squared set last night. From my calculations it should be possible to make them fit. Fully accepted some further parts/modifications might be needed, or perhaps running 245 up front.

I calculated up front with a 5mm spacer I would be 4.5mm nearer to the strut than a standard 441M and 8.5mm nearer to the arch, than a 441M with 12mm spacer, which is what I'm running currently.
On the rear the new wheel will be 3.5mm further away from the strut but as I'm already running a spacer on the rear 441M, this only equates to a 6.5mm difference nearer the arch.

Hopefully they will look as good as I’m imagining!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I currently have 18x8.5 et43 with Eibach pro and stock adaptive dampers. I'm super close to the front strut so haven't ventured wider than the oem 225 up front.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I currently have 18x8.5 et43 with Eibach pro and stock adaptive dampers. I'm super close to the front strut so haven't ventured wider than the oem 225 up front.
Without a spacer? I plan to use a 5mm

·
Registered
166 Posts
Without a spacer? I plan to use a 5mm
No spacers.....I've been told a 5mm spacer would be fine to fit a 245 up front.

I had a garage fit my rear to the front and they said it went on fine but had concerns about contact when pressing on.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I run 245 ps4 tyres up front with a 10 mm drop and 8.5 wide et40 rims. I’ve got about 3/4 mm to the strut and get the occasional rub on wheel arch on deep compressions but it’s very rare.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts