Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just brought a TomTom 920T and want to locate it somewhere disscreet in my car, and was looking to the right of the speedo console/next to the drivers A-Pillar. Has anyone located there satnavs anywhere else? I am getting it hard-wired in next saturday.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 4,3" Navigon 7110Te and use the compartment on top of the dash. Works perfect for me. I just made an "rubber" fitting witch i set it in, and there it stands, no vibration or any thing.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah mine wont stand upright because of the TMC (Traffic) Cable protruding. Just would be nice to leave it all wired up and ready to use whenever I want to......

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hmm, I just bought a TT 920T on saturday and I've got the same problem as you. I can just about wedge the TT 920T into the dash storage box without the TMC cable (sticks about 2cm out of the bottom :( ). However, it falls out under quick acceleration and corners.
What I've done for now is to put two velcro strips on the back of the TT (vertical either side of the fixing for the windscreen mount), and two vertical strips on the dash left of the radio. The charger cable comes out the bottom and fits nicely due to the start of the recess for the glovebox. The TNC cable is also not a problem. The balck velro strips don't stand out too much.
However...(!) The velcro strips on the dash don't stick very well (the dash material is quite slippy) As a consequence after about 30 minutes I find it came loose. I have left it stuck on for a day or so to see if it improves. Also it's a big too far left and low for my liking.

I think an alternative would be to cut a hole in the dash storage compartment to give it more height. The rubber bottom to the compartment comes off so I reckon you could cut a hole and when you don't want to use TT, you can simply put the rubber mat/bottom back over and noone would ever notice!
Only problem is taking out the compartment without damaging it. I undid the screws at the back edge but couldn't work out how to do the bit at front edge. Car is only a week old so a bit reluctant to take any risks :shock:

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
jc74 said:
However...(!) The velcro strips on the dash don't stick very well (the dash material is quite slippy) As a consequence after about 30 minutes I find it came loose. I have left it stuck on for a day or so to see if it improves. Also it's a big too far left and low for my liking.
The adhesive on the back of the velcro won't stick too well to the dash for a couple of reasons.

1) The mould for the dash will be full of release agents to make it come out easily.
2) The dash itself will probably be oozing with the oils that it's made of
3) I bet someone has cleaned it with dash-o shine-o before you got hold of it. Which will be full of silicones.

This means that you'll have some real trouble getting something as heavy as a tomtom to stay put.

·
Registered
9 Posts
jc74 said:
Only problem is taking out the compartment without damaging it. I undid the screws at the back edge but couldn't work out how to do the bit at front edge. Car is only a week old so a bit reluctant to take any risks :shock:
You need to remove the central air-vent (instructions and pictures elsewhere in this forum) to access the two torx screws at the front of the compartment.

I'm still working out the best way to mount my TT 720 in the storage compartment: the best I've achieved so far has been by making my own cradle. Previous attempts were less than satisfactory - I couldn't see all of the screen, it moved about too much or it even fell out during acceleration. However, I'm convinced that mounting it in the storage compartment is the way forward, better than a bracket in front of the air vents or the screen sucker. I've also worked out how to route the power cable invisibly.

When I have a final solution I'll be posting the result here...

·
Registered
12 Posts
buteo said:
...I'm still working out the best way to mount my TT 720 in the storage compartment: the best I've achieved so far has been by making my own cradle. Previous attempts were less than satisfactory - I couldn't see all of the screen, it moved about too much or it even fell out during acceleration. However, I'm convinced that mounting it in the storage compartment is the way forward, better than a bracket in front of the air vents or the screen sucker. I've also worked out how to route the power cable invisibly.

When I have a final solution I'll be posting the result here...
Look forward to seeing it, and as the other guy pointed out, Velcro just doesn't cut it!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just tried another velcro trick, this time, it works a treat, and with very little hassle and didn't come off after a one hour drive, even throwing the car into a couple of corners...
This was simply apiece of velcro stuck on the underside of the lid and on top of the TomTom. If anyone else has got similar such solutions, I'd be happy to see them!

·
Registered
69 Posts
RobHardyUK said:
I have just brought a TomTom 920T and want to locate it somewhere disscreet in my car, and was looking to the right of the speedo console/next to the drivers A-Pillar. Has anyone located there satnavs anywhere else? I am getting it hard-wired in next saturday.
I have hard-wired my GO910 just to the left of the instruments and it fits nicely just to the right of the compartment where the OEM SatNav would be. It's also low enough to not obsure my vision at all. I thought about putting it by the A-pillar but I'm left handed!

Just one thing, are you using the original TomTom mount or an aftermarket active one? If you haven't thought about this you might want to have a look here:

·
Registered
69 Posts
jc74 said:
That hard wired mount looks interesting, but also a bit bulky (and expensive!). But be interesting to see some pictures of it actually mounted in the 1er.
I haven't see one in a 1 yet. The main reason why many consider these is because of TomTom's inexplicable decision to go away from the active mount idea of the GO x10 range that allowed you to hard-wire the mount and still have a removeable unit. With the new GO x20 range they seem to have gone backwards in this respect and that isthe main reason that I have stuck with my GO910.

Good luck with the project!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok, I've done further 'non permanent' work to make the satnav fit in the storage compartment - more velcro, but now it doesn't wobble or anything. The charging cable and the TMC aerial all fit in fine too...

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Thinking of getting a sat nav for the car but do not want a screen mount or a bracket on the dash (I'm fussy I know!)

Has anyone got an alternative solution for the storage bin apart from the one mentioned above?

Cheers

·
Registered
69 Posts
tminal said:
Thinking of getting a sat nav for the car but do not want a screen mount or a bracket on the dash (I'm fussy I know!)

Has anyone got an alternative solution for the storage bin apart from the one mentioned above?

Cheers
I'm sure I've seen a thread on here somewhere about a SatNav that fits into one of the centre air vent outlets in the dash.

·
Registered
54 Posts
henrymitchell said:
tminal said:

Cheers
I'm sure I've seen a thread on here somewhere about a SatNav that fits into one of the centre air vent outlets in the dash.
tried looking for that thread mate but cant find have you got a link to it?

chris

·
Registered
263 Posts
henrymitchell said:
tminal said:

Cheers
Is this the one ?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yup, that the one I saw. Looks like a very small screen though and you won't have to worry about the unit overheating!

Personally I can't see anything wrong with a screen-mount for an add-on system (that's what I've got at the moment) but I think I might go for ProNav next time...

·
Registered
154 Posts
jc74 said:
Ok, I've done further 'non permanent' work to make the satnav fit in the storage compartment - more velcro, but now it doesn't wobble or anything. The charging cable and the TMC aerial all fit in fine too...

Cheers, have done exactly the same with my new TomTom XL, and it works perfectly. :)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Well I don't have a dash bin, but have felt that having the whole tyhing open in order to be able to see the Tomtom is a bit crap.

I use a Brodit Proclip over the central vent, covering the hazard flasher, with a swivel mount and its the best arrangement I have had in any car. I don't have photos just now, but will put some up tomorrow. It doesn't materially obstruct the vents for passenger or driver - at least not such that you would notice.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yeah, fair enough, but the idea is not to have any indication that there's a satnav in the car when parked. Unless you're going to continually unclip the Proclip when parking (which I assume would damage the trim sooner or later) then there'll always be a telltale holder, which might be enough for someone to put a brick through the window.

I don't find having the binnacle open a problem, so this works for me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.