Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a minor scrape with the beige Vauxhall on the left who was reversing (you can see the wheels move on the video). I thought it was my fault but I've heard conflicting advice. I did indicate left too

The driver said it was my fault when we were there but I wasn't sure and didn't let her know I had a dashcam.

Who's fault is it?

Appreciate any advice

Random pic added by moderator to enable this pic to show in Featured Threads!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I'd say the reversers fault, it's their responsibility to make sure the roads clear before carrying out their manoeuvre. They'll probably argue that you have the same responsibility before turning into a junction but I think the dash cam shows there was no reasonable way for you to predict their stupidity.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Would almost play devil's advocate here and say Vauxhall was already moving and you've turned into its path. You've turned in quite close for a moving car, had you seen it?

Suppose some depends on your indicator, which unfortunately can't tell without audio.

50:50, knock for knock?

·
Super Moderator
65,175 Posts
From that footage, it kinda looks like they were visibly reversing in a straight line before you got there, and you’ve cut them up?

Probably end up being a 50:50 as the others have said, if everybody wants to get the insurance companies involved.

Reactions: user1

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I would pay out user 1, I think it's your fault. Don't get the insurance companies involved for such a minor scrape.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I don’t think it’s that simple in this case and seems like biggest mistake for OP is posting it here and asking for opinions.
What I see:
1. OP is driving down the road
2. Vauxhall starts moving when it clearly sees OPs car, not before they become visible
3. Vauxhall did not make sure it was safe and clear to start moving irrespective of OP turning into their path.

would be good to know how this is resolved if it ends up going to insurers

edit: when I say biggest mistake for posting here is that different opinions will add more stress to an already unfortunate situation despite people willing to help :)

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Thank you all

I didn't see the car moving and thought it was parked up.

I've asked at 2 accident claim places and both have said it was the other drivers fault.
I change my opinion if you didn't know the car was moving, Vauxhall drove into you, their fault!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I see this as mainly your fault OP sorry. You say you saw the car reversing so stopping in the road and letting the van pull in front of the white BMW would have been the safest thing to do imo.
You put yourself in a position where a knock was inevitable as the Vauxhall driver wasn't expecting anyone to dive into that space.
Personally I'd want to avoid insurance companies if possible.

Edit
Apologies if you didn't see the vehicle reversing.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
The reversing vehicle shouldn't have been moving as the road wasn't clear, OP pulling in behind them gives them a little wriggle room as they could try and claim OP hit them but the dash cam shows that's not the case.

·
Registered
204 Posts
OP was on the highway Turing left into a junction, the Vauxhall was parked illegally (within 10m of a junction) also parked on the pavement reversing towards a junction, Vauxhall should have been 100% aware of surrounds whilst manoeuvring, cars from 3 directions & pedestrians from 2 directions, Vauxhall at fault in my eyes

P.S good luck mate 🤞🏻

·
Registered
33 Posts
OP was on the highway Turing left into a junction, the Vauxhall was parked illegally (within 10m of a junction) also parked on the pavement reversing towards a junction, Vauxhall should have been 100% aware of surrounds whilst manoeuvring, cars from 3 directions & pedestrians from 2 directions, Vauxhall at fault in my eyes

P.S good luck mate 🤞🏻
To me it looks more like a driveway rather than a proper junction, so not sure it qualifies for that law/rule. Also, not illegal to park on the pavement currently unless in London, as I understand.

I may be wrong, but I'm not sure if Vauxhall maneuvering in this situation is wrong. Its reversing wasn't obstructing or entering the direction of travel of any other vehicles until OP changed direction of travel.

Feel like both drivers could use more awareness of potential hazards - which unfortunately is the case 99% of the time. Situation could have been avoided by both.

I'm not bashing OP. I think this is a tough one to call, hence the different opinions here. We all make mistakes, we all look back and think could we have done something differently.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
50:50 for me. The vauxhall was moving, the OP cut around the back of it. Vauxhall shouldn't have been moving, but was..... Dashcam clearly shows that. Not seeing the fact its moving when the dsahcam does could potentially open the doors to the insurance company saying "not concentrating"

·
Registered
2 Posts
To me it looks more like a driveway rather than a proper junction, so not sure it qualifies for that law/rule. Also, not illegal to park on the pavement currently unless in London, as I understand.
This ^^

Although I would add, to the letter of the law, the car is parked facing the wrong direction and that is why you can't see the reversing lights (not that it would need to reverse if facing the correct direction).

I agree that I think insurance would go 50:50 based on the video though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts