Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 118d M sport 143bhp and I want to get more power. Can someone help.

It needs to be untracable because of services etc.

Cheers

·
Registered
741 Posts
Thouh a remap would probably be better, I think a box would be beeter applied here as....

tommyg2688 said:
It needs to be untracable because of services etc.
Your looking at about £500.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Remove all the weight, including seats, dash and trim. If your other half is a fat old moose like mine ban her from riding in it. Hmm, what else? Oh yes, get a re-map :D

·
Registered
440 Posts
Toonman said:
Abrupt...
And accurate however. More power = 120d. Why not buy one in the first place?
That does seem a little harsh, I suspect any manner of circumstances meant that the 118d was the best choice and is a good car.

I bought a 123d and I'm having a remap because I want more power, ideally I'd buy a Bugatti Veyron but my circumstances mean I can't afford it :D The comparisons a little more extreme but the principals the same.

·
Registered
440 Posts
:lol: I know but you get my point, most of us would like more power and the next car up in the range but you buy the best car available.

In answer to the original post, all my searching b4 opting for the remap leads me to think that if you want more power nothing is untraceable. If BMW really want to find it then they will, but they won't bother looking during routine servicing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The difference between a 120d M Sport and the 118d is what, £1500 or so? I won't even bother to think about the amount for a Veyron...

I can see the point in remapping a 123d, as there isn't a more powerful diesel model at the moment. However, I don't see much point in a 118, when there's another model in the range that can be had for not much more money - or even less if you compare the cost of a 118d M Sport vs a 120d SE. Add in the complications on insurance, warranty, reliability etc and IMHO it's a no brainer; buy the more powerful car in the 1st place. Abrupt, harsh or whatever; there's more than an element of truth.

Anyway, it was just a suggestion.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Having come from a 320bhp Impreza STi UK PPP, I'd love more power and a car that handled/braked etc, better but the 120d was just about the most powerful/best handling car on the Motability list. I've thought about a remap/tuning box etc but it just doesn't seem worth the hassles. Hopefully, come change time, the 123d (or similar) will be on the list.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I used to have the same car!
Mind you mine only had 305bhp, it was a 52 plate which I bought 6 months old, kept it for 12 months and lost a packet when I sold it. What did yours have to get 320bhp, was it a later car?
Great car though, so much fun, so I know where you're coming from.
What's the Motability list by the way?
Sorry I'm going off the point of a thread a bit here aren't I :lol:

·
Registered
25 Posts
It was an 05 STi and carefully setup by the dealer - SG Petch in Richmond - the real Richmond in N Yorks!

Motability is the Gov scheme to provide transport for disabled drivers. I had an accident in 07 and lost my left leg above the knee; can't drive a manual car anymore. You can take the money and do what you want with it, but Motability do good deals. You'd have to be rich or very particular not to go with a car on their leasing list.

Cheers

·
Registered
440 Posts
:lol:
The Govt/Motability provide pretty decent cars then don't they!
Perhaps they'll put a semi-auto in the Subaru and that'll go on the list, or am I being completely unrealistic again :roll:

·
Registered
741 Posts
Toonman said:
Abrupt...
And accurate however. More power = 120d. Why not buy one in the first place?
Usually....circumstance. This was the guys first post and I just thought it was a bit harsh to claim hes brought the wrong car. Whatever his circumstance hes purchased a 118d and is enquiring about would would give him more power from that particular car.

Welcome to BabyBMW by the way tommyg2688 :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Bun fight..............yey
Can't be @rsed JoHNY... Been told off by a Mod for stating the obvious. :roll: The poster is unhappy with the power of the 118d and for less money, he could've bought a 120d...

semi-auto in the Subaru
Nice thought Anthony!

3 weeks after my Beemer arrived, Subaru went on the M list. I'd have gone for a Forester XT Auto with PPP. On the other hand, I am delighted with the 1er and would probably have another. As I keep saying, it's got the perfect balance between power and economy.

My Wife fancies the Legacy Est Auto diesel and it's a possibility but the deposit's very costly.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.