Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I am due to take delivery of a 2015 M235i Coupe tomorrow. I’m looking to change the wheels to some 19” OEM style alloys (something like the 405M’s).

I’ve been looking online and I would just like opinions on the best size staggered wheels and tyres to fit it?

Also, if you have any suggestions for other styles of wheels would love to hear your opinions!

many thanks

Chris

·
Registered
291 Posts
My 2015 M235i has the OEM 624M alloys which are the same size as the 405M. Tyres are 225/35 19 at the front and 245/30 19 at the rear. They are MPS4S' the previous MPSS were rubbish in the wet and cold.

However I find the above rather skinny compared to my previous 335i which had 235 on the front and 265 section rears. I like the OEM look otherwise I'd look for wider alloys.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I think youve got to ask yoruself the usual question about scaling-up from 18" to 19" i.e. is the improvement in dry, warm handling worth the harsher ride and greater susceptibility to aquaplaning? It'd be interesting to hear from people who've done the swap (after having run both 18" and 19" across both summer and winter) ......

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
In short. Don’t. You’ll bugger up the ride which is already only adequate. You don’t say if you have adaptive or regular shocks, I’d really not want the non adaptive setup on 19” wheels. Unless you only intend to cruise your local estate at 20mph the down side is too high, the upside marginal at best and only then on track.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi thanks a lot for the replies. Very interesting points raised. Having only briefly driven it on test drive, frankly it felt much smoother and softer than my w204 c250cdi that I had before it. That was a surprise! (It has the adaptive suspension bu the way) I’ve just taken delivery and ride seems absolutely fine and very smooth. So I’m more than happy with the 18’s. It’s just looks wise I don’t think they are the nicest alloys. It also has mixed tyres all-round (a Michelin PS4 on each axle along with a brand I have never heard of!). The benefit of 18’s though would be I could at least reuse the 2 decent Michelins which have 6mm+ left.

I live in a little village in the UK and our roads are not the best. But saying that I’ve had quite a few cars with bigger wheels and coped ok (ie I had one of the new M135i Hatches last year with the 19’s, but moved it on as missed the 6 cylinder BMWs of old!)

·
Registered
239 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
FYI above wheels are:

Advan RZ2
Front: 18x8; et45; 7.7 kg
Rear: 18x9; et53; 8.2 kg

I weighed the stock wheels at:
Front 11.1 kg
Rear 11.3 kg

Some decent weight savings, a much better look and 20mm more rubber front and rear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts