Baby BMW Forum banner
9621 - 9640 of 9664 Posts

·
Registered
old: e82 MSport N47 120d. current e82 MSport N52 125i.
347 Posts
Replaced white LED H8 on my xenons with
Osram night breaker halogens.

Not sure if I should keep them , what do you guys think.
Previously it was a clear bright white. I like the yellow look but this isn't yellow enough.
They look good in that shot but I suspect less yellow in real life. I have the 2900k Mahruta halogen in mine and I think that's about as yellow as I can get. But I'd like to try the Lunex 2800k H8 if one of these blows. It's quit a cheap thing to play around with.

Attachments

Reactions: bobwibbles

·
Registered
old: e82 MSport N47 120d. current e82 MSport N52 125i.
347 Posts
Cursed a lot replacing my washer motor.
No gunk in the bottle at all. looks like it's been cleaned out before but they lost the gauze filter into the bottle. I fished it out and reseated it. A new motor later everything's working again (y). Then ten min layer another ABS sensor warning appears😖. I believe these cars are destined to always have at least one fault to deal with the following weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Replaced serpentine belt, tensioner and deflection pulleys on my 118d N47 as part of preventative maintenance programme as the car has done 123,000 miles. As it turned out there was no noticeable wear on the belt or pulleys but I did notice that the crankshaft pulley (or vibration damper) looked like it was about to give up the ghost with the rubber cushion cracked all round the pulley and a lot of movement between the inner and outer parts.

I am on holiday in France having travelled up from Spain so didn't want to chance driving back with the pulley in such condition. I ordered a Febi Bilstein replacement from Amazon which arrived within 2 days and took about an hour to fit. Photos of old and new part below.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire White Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Had a chance to fit some different side skirts today.
Found some M sport ones in good condition and priced well on ebay but unfortunately they were white.
Off to the spray shop for the correct sparkling graphite and they came back new 🙂
Bit fiddly on your own in the wind but went on perfectly.
Done with the styling now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Changed the gearbox and diff oil on my 130i today. Bit annoying not having a drain plug on the diff on these cars (only fill) but not a major issue with a 500ml syringe to suck out the old fluid (y) have yet to see whether the shift action has improved with fresh oil in the box

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Changed the gearbox and diff oil on my 130i today. Bit annoying not having a drain plug on the diff on these cars (only fill) but not a major issue with a 500ml syringe to suck out the old fluid (y) have yet to see whether the shift action has improved with fresh oil in the box
It should do. Mine improved noticeably when some redline went in. Even more so if you add a weighted gear knob.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Did a bit of preliminary work before changing a bearing. From a previous day when I switched to summer wheels, I knew this nut was stubborn and rusted firmly in place, heat, Plusgas etc. had all been tried so cutting it was the preferred option today.

Eye Automotive tire Wood Automotive lighting Automotive wheel system

Cut through just enough so I could split it with a chisel which loosens them enough to allow them to turn. A relatively simple process, takes about an hour because care is needed to preserve the threads ( not the proverbial internet 5 minute job 😉).

Helmet Wood Natural material Gas Jewellery

The new nut in place for a day or so before I do the bearing.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wood Rim

The main aim today was to see if the shaft was going to be as resilient as the nut, amazingly not, a couple of strikes with a bar in the middle of the shaft and it moved inward so it all went as good as it could, even the rain held off until I lowered it to the ground.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Following on from above, fitted the bearing.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Locking hubs

Bit of improvisation to prevent the wrench damaging the hand brake cable as it pushed down. Glad I kept the jack from that old Citroen.

Automotive tire Tire Crankset Bumper Bicycle part

And in place.

Automotive tire Camera lens Wood Cameras & optics Camera accessory

And anticipating, the ring may need doing, I had one ready. There were a couple of slight shiny areas, the sensor looked fine so very early days.

Water Road surface Brickwork Brick Flooring

But a new ring is fitted. I had considered a new shaft but OEM normally last well and could be better than a replacement so I held off until I saw what came out and how 😉

Here it is after a freshen up, the area for the ring cleaned up well without any obvious swollen sections so the ring seated perfectly.

Light Road surface Brick Street light Line

Might have to think about the other side now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hello! I'll be working on my steering rack replacing all O rings, does anyone know if the hard pipes/lines that are part of the steering rack, have O rings?

It is a 130i. Hydro steering
Tire Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
54 Posts
The hydraulic components (seals, pipes etc aren't shown on RealOem other than for the Active Steering Unit linked here:

The pipes appear to be very similar to hydraulic brake pipes which don't have O-rings. I would expect the same with the steering hydraulics.

Reactions: moebius

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Mine gave me and the local mechanic bit of a frustrating day yesterday. One of the rear wheel bearings has been sounding like it's on the way out so after a couple of weeks of debating trying to change it myself I decided to just get it booked in to get both done while it was in for it's MOT. Getting the bearing out seemingly turned out to be much more work than the garage anticipated so I'm glad I never gave it a go but they had started on the side that wasn't noisy so I'll need to limp around until I can get it back in to get the other side done.

And the MOT gave me a list of jobs for next year too. Owning 17 year old cars really is a labour of love :lol2:

9621 - 9640 of 9664 Posts