Baby BMW Forum banner
9561 - 9580 of 9613 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
bearded_ed said:
I just wanted to say thanks for suggesting the tool, made it super easy getting the strut out of the knuckle.

I ended up loosening the arms at the subframe end, as per the BavAuto (RIP) video. Followed by turning one way or the other at full lock.
Glad it helped, I hadn't seen the BavAuto video until after I'd already removed mine, the guide I'd seen said that said the strut could be removed without removing the arms\hub assembly by just levering them down but it was a bit of a battle. With hindsight it was obvious that loosening a couple of bolts would have made life much easier :lol:

·
Registered
372 Posts
nivens said:
With hindsight it was obvious that loosening a couple of bolts would have made life much easier :lol:
Yeah it made it a lot easier!

Did you find anything with torque specs for putting things together again?!

Yesterday evening I unpacked all my parts, I now have everything I should need except the front shocks. These should be with me tomorrow.

Work bench is getting very full!

Attachments

·
Registered
981 Posts
bearded_ed said:
Yeah it made it a lot easier!

Did you find anything with torque specs for putting things together again?!

Yesterday evening I unpacked all my parts, I now have everything I should need except the front shocks. These should be with me tomorrow.

Work bench is getting very full!
The Newtis website was still working when I done mine so got my torque specs there. With that pile of parts it's well worth your time having a look to download a copy of ista from somewhere so you can get everything you need instead of trying to Google them.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Fitted new spark plugs.
Is there an indicator I need to reset?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Spent a few hours Claying, Polishing and Coating the Roof, bonnet and Boot-lid with Fusso Coat.
Woke up to this lovely display of hydrophobicity (possibly a made-up word)
SmartSelect_20220501-113208_Instagram.jpg

SmartSelect_20220501-113148_Instagram.jpg

The front back and sides is for another day.

·
Registered
305 Posts
bearded_ed said:
waldorf said:
No. I did notice however a noticeable improvement of the engine being smoother.
So did I when I did mine recently. Was pleasantly surprised, although it's entirely possible it's placebo!
Same here. Also, it's hard to be sure but I think I'm seeing a couple more mpg round town.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I wasn't using the shift indicator, as the engine did not feel like it could handle the low rpms. After the plug change it is possible to run the engine between 1500-2000 rpm without hesitation. I am trying to run a full tank of fuel with this low rpms, which is hard for me, I am curious if it results in better mpg.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Your been a bit more methodical than me. I just noticed when I hooned it accross Nth Yorkshire to My Mam's and back the other day I was averaged in the mid 20s instead of the low 20s. #science

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'm finally done!

Car is back on all 4 wheels for the first time in 3 weeks.

Shocks, springs, discs, pads and refurbed wheels are on. Super happy with how the wheels look, still need to put my new stickers and centre caps on. Squeezed in time to do a much needed oil change as well as the cabin filter. Oil was pretty miserable given the 8k miles since the last one. Especially given that I have topped it up with 3L of fresh over that time. (many oil leaks now mostly solved).

9561 - 9580 of 9613 Posts