Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I made the jump to stage 1+ yesterday on my M2 Competition.

I have always used WG Motorworks as I trust Warren immensely and respect his knowledge and level of service, I had the full crank hub fix done a few weeks ago with the one piece insane fix just for peace of mind before pushing it.

Arriving I had already ordered the Active Autowerk equal length midpipe which was fitted , quality really nice on these (should be for the price), old OPF filters and Resonator removed. I had opted to go for Ecutek over BMW or MHD, nothing against either as I had MHD on my last Mlite and it was great, just felt Ecutek offered slightly more customisation and peace of mind for the job at hand.

After the DME was bench unlocked it was just a case of mapping, there was a small delay with Ecutek and getting some older software needed but they did come through and mapping eventually began, the car after the midpipe pulled a healthy 430bhp/450lbft

After mapping and some adjusting directly from Ecutek the high power map made a lovely 528bhp/550lbft, it was then setup on 3 maps to have switching on the fly

Map 1 - 524/515lbft
Map 2 - 528hp/550lbft
Map 3 - 496hp / 490lb/ft

Ecutek also offered adjustable burble on the fly which you just adjust from the steering wheel and using the sports dials as measurements for increments etc. All very neat.

I also had Xhp stage 3 installed at the same time

My initial verdict was that I was speechless at how it had transformed the car, the noise alone from the equal length is insane, It reminds me of my early 2000s jap import twinscroll impreza, the noise and scream is fantastic, genuinely sounds like a GTR from inside driving.

The performance is incredible, the huge torque increase and free revving nature now is ridiculous, I have only really tested in the mid power setting for now and even that is probably more than you need on a dry road in the summer. its made the car for me as it should have been, I was sort of having buyers remorse after a few months, the noise alone was so poor as standard that it genuinely spoiled the driving experience.

Anyone thinking of getting the midpipe I recommend it, its the best mod I have done on the car. Hoping to do some Draggy times soon so will update on this.
Vehicle Engineering Building Space Industry

Automotive tire Floor Flooring Motor vehicle Composite material

Computer Product Personal computer Font Output device

Wood Wind instrument Asphalt Road surface Scaled reptile

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Grille

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice power 馃憤

I鈥檓 really tempted by the AA equal length. It鈥檚 the removing the ppf and mot that puts me off. Seems like it鈥檚 the equivalent of a decaT in the 90s and the vagueness about the legalities of that
I have no doubt its on paper illegal by removing the emission equipment. Car will however still pass an emission test and it's just whether your mot man passes or fails it on a visual check for opf filters. Will all mot testers know what every new opf filter looks like and where it should be? I'm not so sure!

Registered
The three maps seem a bit weird to me, I can't see any need for Map 1, any idea what they did differently between the two? Less boost, different timing?
Map 1 - 524/515lbft
Map 2 - 528hp/550lbft

Think you'd have been better off with stock instead of the 524/515lbft map.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I have an M2 Comp and am starting to explore tuning options, I was looking at Lichfield but your post has got me thinking, any chance you can post an audio clip or video of the exhaust sound?
No worries will try and get an exhaust sound clip, its transformed the sound of the car, it literally does sound almost porsche like with the Equal Length now, only thing I can compare it to, the closest and best video I can find online which captures it is this one

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The three maps seem a bit weird to me, I can't see any need for Map 1, any idea what they did differently between the two? Less boost, different timing?
Map 1 - 524/515lbft
Map 2 - 528hp/550lbft

Think you'd have been better off with stock instead of the 524/515lbft map.
To be honest the different maps are just for the reduced torque mainly and I dont really want or need the standard map anymore. The lowest power map is absolutely fine as the slowest one.

It does make a big difference on the road between the three. I am actually using Map 2 most of the time now as its a nice balance. Map 1 is pretty savage even in the dry, to be honest as I understand Ecutek has a valet mode which puts it to stock power anyway (if you want to drive it at standard power or for when putting into garage for work etc), could be why theres no reason for standard power map

1 - 9 of 9 Posts