Baby BMW Forum banner
  • The monthly Photo Competition is back! Click HERE to enter
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello colleagues,
From quite some time I have this noise coming from the engine bay. The engine is N52B30 - 2006 at 275k km. U can hear it in the video posted below.
- skip to 1:25 when the engine revs go down to about ~650. Ignore the rough idle, I had a vacuum leak. At first I tough it was related to the problem, but after I resolve it the weird noise is still there.

I went to two different mechanics for opinion. One told me that is okay to drive it like this and the problem is probably coming from bad engine mounts. The same theory I found in a reddit post recently. Someone uploaded a video with N52B30 - 06. The person complaining from the same noise as mine. Most of the comment suggest checking the PCV, vacuum lines etc, but one of the sad that it could be bad engine mounts and this is resonance sound.

The other shop had a theory that the valvetronic motor is having a mechanical problem.

I looked a ton of videos and post relating to similar problems. One guy had similar noise coming from the vanos gears. The bolts heads holding the gear wheels to the vanos adjusters. The thing is I have no codes related to oil pressure or vanos related ones.

Things changed recently: Both DISA flaps, vanos solenoids, all gaskets are fine.

Any suggestion or information will be appreciated.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tried with aux belt removed? long shot but seems a standard thing to try when trying to find noises
While doing the OFHG and the "micky mouse" hose the belt was removed. I've tested all the pulleys, they sound like they're in a good condition. These days I will try to start the engine without the belt to see if there is any difference. I will post the results!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like a plastic cover vibrating somewhere,my cam cover sounds like it.
I have to remove the plastic cover to check the valvetronic sensor connector any way, so I will start the engine without the cover to see if there is any difference. I have one or two bolts not holding the cover the way they should, so maybe its something simple as this. Lets hope so :D

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
My aircon compressor died last year and made some horrible noises but the pulley felt alright so worth running with the belt off to rule that out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts