Baby BMW Forum banner
  • The monthly Photo Competition is back! Click HERE to enter
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've used Dodo Juice products for some time now, I like them and have good, predictable results on my TS M3.
I enjoy the process of using these waxes by hand.

Well things are moving on now, and I wonder has anyone here found a Dodo product that works well on LBB. I know they have Blue Velvet in the range but am unsure if that may work better on darker blues. Any experiences/suggestions for this type of wax appreciated :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for replies. The point about placebo is a fair one and it got me thinking. Has anyone seen a panel to panel comparison when say, a general purpose non tinted wax has been used on one panel vs. an adjacent panel where something like the DJ Blue Velvet/Purple Haze has been used? (or whatever products are seen to be appropriate for certain colours) In another discussion I've had even DJ Scarlet Fever has been suggested, which I hear is a replacement for DJ Blue Velvet Pro. All that said, I recall I've got a full pot of DJ Light Fantastic sat here (!) so that might be a good neutral starting point on a colour that's new to me.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As you like the DJ products have you tried their Supernatural Hybrid?
I like it on my sparkling graphite but I'm sure it will look equally good on LBB.
Interestingly that product has been suggested to me elsewhere, so it's on my radar as I think it would offer better longevity perhaps.

·
Administrator
4,003 Posts
Thanks for replies. The point about placebo is a fair one and it got me thinking. Has anyone seen a panel to panel comparison when say, a general purpose non tinted wax has been used on one panel vs. an adjacent panel where something like the DJ Blue Velvet/Purple Haze has been used?
I did one. I tried DJ Purple Haze, DJ Black Widow, Megs ultimate liquid wax, Autoglym UHD wax, Bilt Hamber DSW on my bonnet. I hadn't corrected the paint before applying so it was as fair a test of real-world results as I could get in an hour based on nowt but curiosity.

Would rank them 1. BW > PH > UHD > DSW > 5. ULW.

Black Widow and Purple Haze looked roughly the same, but BW being a hybrid was easier to apply/buff, and stood up to a bit more abuse from CarPro Eraser.

UHD was decent but didn't give the same depth on black sapphire metallic as the tinted waxes did. DSW is DSW, it's cheap and cheerful and does a solid job. Both UHD and DSW leave more residue, or at least it's more obvious because they're white. ULW was rather naff, very smeary, didn't fill swirls well. Would not recommend.

Re supernatural as suggested by pem, black widow is the dark-tinted version, shinecraft is the light one. From what I understand all 3 are the same base hybrid recipe, so the choice is just between the tint :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bilt Hamber Speed Wax gets good reviews. It really depends on how deep your pockets are.
So far the only Bilt Hamber product I've used is their wheel cleaner. I recently switched to it and am very impressed. Seems to be a case of pay a bit more, but get a clearly superior product - so the same may be true with their waxes - duly noted, thanks!

As for my pockets, they're about to take a serious emptying!

For now, the short term goal is to get some protection on the paint, thinking about bird crap and stuff, but getting a slick layer on that pleases the eye would be nice too. I can always revisit with other products later on. So what I'm gonna do is make use of the unused (big) pot of Dodo Juice LF I have, and have ordered a panel pot of their Blue Velvet, so I can experiment on a panel, and if I see a difference compared to LF, there's enough to do the rest from a tiny pot.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did one. I tried DJ Purple Haze, DJ Black Widow, Megs ultimate liquid wax, Autoglym UHD wax, Bilt Hamber DSW on my bonnet. I hadn't corrected the paint before applying so it was as fair a test of real-world results as I could get in an hour based on nowt but curiosity.

Would rank them 1. BW > PH > UHD > DSW > 5. ULW.

Black Widow and Purple Haze looked roughly the same, but BW being a hybrid was easier to apply/buff, and stood up to a bit more abuse from CarPro Eraser.

UHD was decent but didn't give the same depth on black sapphire metallic as the tinted waxes did. DSW is DSW, it's cheap and cheerful and does a solid job. Both UHD and DSW leave more residue, or at least it's more obvious because they're white. ULW was rather naff, very smeary, didn't fill swirls well. Would not recommend.

Re supernatural as suggested by pem, black widow is the dark-tinted version, shinecraft is the light one. From what I understand all 3 are the same base hybrid recipe, so the choice is just between the tint :)
Good work testing and comparing! I noted that the car was black sapphire metallic too, so that will have been quite a revealing test!
All noted (y)

·
Administrator
4,003 Posts
Poorboys black hole is a glaze, it looks brilliant, but needs a wax/sealant over the top or it'll be gone in a week or two.

I've had brilliant results using DJ Lime Prime plus, it's the same type of thing, except it has very fine diminishing abrasives in and seems to last longer topped with their waxes than black hole does.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Poorboys black hole is a glaze, it looks brilliant, but needs a wax/sealant over the top or it'll be gone in a week or two.

I've had brilliant results using DJ Lime Prime plus, it's the same type of thing, except it has very fine diminishing abrasives in and seems to last longer topped with their waxes than black hole does.
Yes I've used Lime Prime in the past as part of surface prep and prior to wax. Not for use every time, but definitely has its place.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts