Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2nd hand BMW (55reg) 120d M Sport from a BMW dealer with another 12 months warranty. Only had the car 4 weeks. Today I've noticed water on both front foot wells! Any ideas? Would it be covered by warranty?
Thanks[/color]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks for that. I have checked and it does have the 'BMW' logo next to the tax disc engraved/marked on the actual screen. I have cleared the engine of leaves and stuff but it is still soaking and the rain stopped over a day ago! I've got it booked in tomorrow at the dealer. Read the warranty manual and it says it does not cover seals!! However think they should cover it as when i bought it, only 3.5 weeks ago, it underwent their 130 point check! Will wait and see. Thanks for the advice though.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Gilly I've see this before from a water leak from the rear filling the chassis legs with water which then leaked into the rear footwells. Check the rear footwells to see if there wet as this could be then seaping into the front footwells, otherwise check your windscreen like mark says.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I've just nipped out and checked the back and they seem all dry. I travelled 135 miles to buy the car so telling them i haven't had chance to bring it sooner will be fine.
It seems to be more on the passenger side that the drivers but both are wet as anything. My car mats were soaking this afternoon when i took them out.
Thanks guys. As soon as i know the problem i shall post the results.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I'm sure someone else had this not so long back (maybe just on one side) and it turned out to be the drain holes in the door that were blocked.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I had this problem in both the passenger and drivers footwells. In both occasions it was the membrane inside the door panels. It is suposse to be a sound insulation membrane but it also stops water from getting in the footwells. BMW always hav stock on those so I guess its not uncommon. In both occasions I ordered the membrane myself and replaced. Total cost £10.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Another cause of water ingress can be blocked vents at the base of the windscreen. Lift the bonnet and have a good look at the drainage channels along the bottom of the windscreen to ensure that they are clear of debris. If no water can back up and spill over the scuttle into the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi. I've just got back from BMW and they have kept the car. They have told me it's the membrane inside the door although they cannot be 100% sure. They are ordering new ones and fitting them tomorrow. This is all covered by the warranty!!!
So hopefully i will have it back, latest Friday if that is the cause.
Will keep you all updated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had the same broblem as well : footwell mats soaked in water, passenger's side. Thanks for the info Smart Mac ! The dealer was aware of the problem and informed me that the membrane inside the door panels needs to be fixed and better secured. Hopefully there will be no broblems from now on with water leaks. Happy new year..

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just checked, and mine are pretty wet too.

At the moment I'm putting it down to all the snow that's being dragged into the car, but I'll keep my eye on it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
As an update I put my car into the dealer and there was a grommet missing behind the dashboard, which they replaced under warranty. Seems to have fixed the problem.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The garage carried out extensive water intrusion tests with a hose and finally managed to
pin point where it was coming in.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Thought I'd drag this one back up as I've just discovered a small patch of wet carpet around the accelerator hinge in my footwell.

I tried pouring water down the grate in the engine bay and it trickled out under the sill behind the front wheel fine, so that seems unlikely to be the problem. The car is on what I am fairly sure is its original BMW windscreen. So, perhaps it's this membrane of which people have spoken that's at fault.

Has anyone got a picture of this part please, either in situ or otherwise?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Been out to look this morning and there's water on the door skin underneath the door trim, so seems like the door is indeed the culprit.

Can anyone help with a part number for this membrane please?

Ta.

·
Registered
8 Posts
In my car, the water enterred to the inside door, in the door glass just by the mirror, then out from the inside os the door to the footwell over the ruuber protection of the door.
I'm sorry about any confusion, but, to me in english, its difficult to explain with more details.

·
Registered
229 Posts
PR130 said:
Been out to look this morning and there's water on the door skin underneath the door trim, so seems like the door is indeed the culprit.

Can anyone help with a part number for this membrane please?

Ta.
Your dealer will know. Mine always have some on stock and they keep just about nothing on stock so I guess it is a very commom problem. I had it on both doors. Easy fix but don't forget to get/ order the tape to fix it.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Thanks for that. So it's taped in place rather than glued or heat staked then?

Anyway I'll pop in to the dealer. Then I'll be able to get rid of the bubble wrap I've got duct taped over the sill at the moment!

Maybe I'll get one for the passenger side as well just in case...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.