Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. I don't know a lot about this cleaning lark, I must admit my old car used to just get jet washed, but I'd like to pay a bit more attention to the new 1er. So this weekend I washed it with teh car shampoo I was supplied with and then rinsed it off and dried with one of those synthetic cloths.

Except now the rain water doesn't beed up like it did before. I was told that the car had all this "supaguard" stuff on it and expected it to last more than 1 wash to be honest. But it seems not.

So my question is now what do I need to do with the car to get it so that the paint is protected and I have proper beeding?

As it goes it's dirty again anyway now as it went for a run on Sunday. :|

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sounds like you have stripped the wax off, the shampoo may have been quite agressive.

You could get some quick detailing spray to bridge the gap before you get a chance to properly wax it again.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
A coat of wax will give you the beeding!

Depends how far you want to go really? Does the paintwork have swirls on it?

If it was me I would cleanse the paint with a paint cleaner, lightly polish (nothing too abrasive) and then wax! Yes it will take the supaguard off but with a decent wax you do not need it IMHO! Collinite wax is good for durability or you can use the latest cosmetic waxes but they will need a top up on a more regular basis than the collinite.

What shampoo are you using? Some are too strong and strip wax!

To get a good finish it is approx 80% preperation and 20% the final finish

Just my 2 pence worth............

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like an order of waxing product is needed then. I'll have a poke around.

I used the car shampoo that the dealer supplied when I picked up the car. I think it's branded as the supaguard car shampoo. It was probably my over-zealous drying off that stripped it, if anything. Still, I must learn these things. :lol:

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
autobestbuy said:
Collinite
Excellent product IMHO, this will defo give the beading you are after!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sounds like this forum is the place to get the answers!!!

I recently aquired some 'hard wax', 'shampoo', 'screencleaner' and 'polishingcloths' - all genuine BMW items..... are these any good (will they be as good as or better than others listed above?)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Strangely although it wasn't beeding up in the rain after I washed it, it is now :?

Still going to be looking for some wax though, so thanks for the names + links.

·
Registered
38 Posts
mrmist said:
Sounds like an order of waxing product is needed then. I'll have a poke around.

I used the car shampoo that the dealer supplied when I picked up the car. I think it's branded as the supaguard car shampoo. It was probably my over-zealous drying off that stripped it, if anything. Still, I must learn these things. :lol:
Picked mine up yesterday and salesman said that once you have washed and rinsed off the shampoo thats it, so maybe it was the drying off..

·
Registered
60 Posts
I would recommend the large drying cloths from clean your car. The big yellow ones. I dry my car by simply laying a couple of these over the car and lifting off. They soak so much water up. If you dry with a cloth or chamois by dragging it across the surface of the car you are asking for trouble. These simply soak up the water and then lift off the car. Then I use a microfibre to pick up any final water before applying the carlack.

I ruined my 1 Series with swirls and marks by having good products but not using them correctly.

If you can splash out on a couple of these yellow towels and the Carlack and Collinite pack from Cleanyourcar (or other supplier) you will be happy you did. Obviously ditch the sponges and jet wash aswell before you start looking after your car! You can get hooked easily into washing and looking after your car, Im currently trying to get the perfect Snow Foam process on my car!

You will get beading with the Carlack and Collinite wax, often now I drive to the small round about at the end of my road and go round it and all the water just slides off to one side and off the car. This obviously takes some surface dirt with it so it helps all round in keeping the car cleaner.

Look at the Jag in this

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.