Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are quite a few modified G42 out there now, especially items like exhausts, suspension, intakes, JB4 etc.

Whats the score with warranty claims where the added items were the root cause ?

also has to be taken into effect that most purchases might be on some of PCP deal, in legal "theory" the owner of the car is the PCP issuer until at least 40% is left to be paid, does the owner need to be notified ?

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I would suggest that the warranty question is pretty straightforward- BMW won’t cover a fault that is caused by a modified addition, no company would.

Reactions: nazali

·
Registered
126 Posts
In fact I’d go as far as to say they would actively look for reasons not to do warranty work in my experience.

I bought an approved used BMW that had been lowered, took it in for an issue re the ride height level sensor and was told they wouldn’t cover it as the car was lowered.

short version a lot of arguing and ended up being kicked out of my local BMW dealer 🤣

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Do you have to tell the warranty team when you add an M mod?
I haven't so far, had my LSD fitted by Marc Williams (Williams Performance- site sponsor), underbody brace I did myself. I originally fitted my MPE, but after my crash, Williams BMW Bolton fitted a new one properly! I fitted stone protection to the front grills, again BMW have re-fitted them after the crash gratis. Oh, I have also fitted M rad grills.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I haven't so far, had my LSD fitted by Marc Williams (Williams Performance- site sponsor), underbody brace I did myself. I originally fitted my MPE, but after my crash, Williams BMW Bolton fitted a new one properly! I fitted stone protection to the front grills, again BMW have re-fitted them after the crash gratis. Oh, I have also fitted M rad grills.
I’m curious about the stone protector - can you show a picture or a link ?

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I’m curious about the stone protector - can you show a picture or a link ?
What you do, is order some black mesh off Amazon, you get 2 sheets, one was enough for mine. take the front bumper off, cut the mesh to shape, fix it on with wire/cable ties. I will try to find the link. I believe that all cars after 2018 had the mesh fitted as standard.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ask because you see a lot of YouTube videos of people getting their new cars, then within days they have mods all over the car. I wasnt planning doing anything outside of dealer fit or BMW approved, just curious as to how the YouTubers do all this non-BMW work and not worry about warranty.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I ask because you see a lot of YouTube videos of people getting their new cars, then within days they have mods all over the car. I wasnt planning doing anything outside of dealer fit or BMW approved, just curious as to how the YouTubers do all this non-BMW work and not worry about warranty.
Andy, I guess they just take the risk?

·
Registered
387 Posts
It’s a pump and dump scheme. They aren’t going to have their car long enough for problems to occur. Yet, if they do, they’ll be in trouble as warranty might be rejected. All in all I wouldn’t take YT videos as a basis of warranty claims

·
Vendor
BMW M240i xDrive
259 Posts
There are quite a few modified G42 out there now, especially items like exhausts, suspension, intakes, JB4 etc.

Whats the score with warranty claims where the added items were the root cause ?

also has to be taken into effect that most purchases might be on some of PCP deal, in legal "theory" the owner of the car is the PCP issuer until at least 40% is left to be paid, does the owner need to be notified ?
:censored:

To answer your question, BMW won't warrant any issues relating to the areas modified. You have to just trust that the mods you're making are within parameters of the car and to treat it with respect. And if it all goes wrong, put your big boy pants on and swallow it up!

But in all seriousness, most visual mods will not have any bearing on your mechanical warranty. It's more the engine mods that are going to be a red flag to BMW and dealers.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
In answer to the PCP question, The PCP provider is the vehicle owner and should be contact before any mods are planned for the vehicle. They have the ultimate say in matters. Also the vehicle insurance provider must also be informed once the mods have been carried out....its their decision if they want to provide insurance on the vehicle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts