Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there... so the first mystery surrounding my 1er has arisen :?

I have a 'crack' noise coming from the front left side of the car. It is totally intermittent, occurring while driving soft, hard, thru corners, while stopped, etc. Day, night, hot, cold, dry, rain... very strange.

In more detail - it sounds like someone has thrown a stone at the car, hitting the metal panel front left guard. It is extremely loud, heard even over loud music or wind noise with windows down. Even gives you a fright at times - THAT loud!

Last week my car was in at BMW for service, and I mentioned it to them. They ran a spanner over all the chassis and suspension and found nothing needing tightening. Of course they asked if I could replicate it! - which I could not. And it did not happen while they drove it. So I am just waiting for my car to fall apart or something go wrong so I have a reason/explanation to give to BMW.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think I've heard the same thing. I thought it was from the dash or pedal box area to be honest. But it's the same "crack" sound, very loud and I too cannot replicate it.

I am somewhat disappointed by the creaks and groans of the car, it too is in the dealer next week for normal service work so we shall see.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I think you will find that these noises are 'normal'. Every car I've ever owned has done this to some degree at any rate. I think it is simply down to different components expanding and contracting at different rates and creating noises as they do so.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No car I have owned in the past (and that includes ALL my Freelanders) and driven have made a noise like this one! I also worked for BMW for 3yrs and never once did I come across another BMW which made this noise. And I have owned my car 8mths but the noise only started 2mths ago!? I have 24K klm on the clock. I guarantee you the car is NOT supposed to make this noise.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I didn't say it was supposed to make the noise, it's hardly a design feature! lol Like I say all of my cars have done this from my first Ford Fiesta to my 5 Series. The 1 has done it once so far.

·
Registered
66 Posts
So please to read this :spotman: , thought I was going mad as I've heard the same thing to. Assume it's things contracting etc as has been posted. Very loud though I'd agree!

·
Registered
406 Posts
I always immediately think the car has been hit with a brick or something and then relax when it's obvious everything is still in one piece.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
These kind of noises appear on nearly all cars, at some time, Andy M has got it right. When you get these noises, its due to the car "bedding in" as it were. Getting used to the ambient temps, and all the torsion stress that is forced on a car. Nothing to worry about. It may calm down over time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Turn your music up and you will forget all about it :violin:

When its really cold and my door rattles I blast a bit of kanye west - that sorts it out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
AndyM said:
I always immediately think the car has been hit with a brick or something and then relax when it's obvious everything is still in one piece.
Like 08ABC, I would be worried at a noise that sounded like a brick hitting the car. Is this seriously a 'bedding in' issue? A noise that loud is surely more major than that. I don't have this noise, nor have I ever experienced any such noise in any car I have owned. Except when bricks (or large stones, to be exact) have actually hit the car windscreen - and scared the living daylights out of me.

I would suspect a suspension or wheel issue.

Dave.[/b]

·
Registered
406 Posts
I dare say a real brick hitting the car would actually sound much louder. I don't know about anyone else but when I hear the slightest of strange noises in my cars it always sounds a lot worse to me than it probably really is. The sound 08ABC is hearing may well be something else but as nobody else has heard it we can only guess.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have the same issue with our 06 3 series, except it happens when the driver gets in the car...you hear this really loud crack!!! This may be a problem with the seats and in your car it happens in certain car movements rather than the driver getting in the car. The sound does not sound like it is coming from the seat but i9t only happens when the driver gets in....hope this helps 08ABC :?

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
except it happens when the driver gets in the car...you hear this really loud crack
well i can suggest "weight watchers" :lol:

As we havent heard this particular sound, andy is right, we cant REALLY judge it... If it were as loud as a brick hitting the car, then i would say that if they cant find anything wrong or loose, then its just the materials of the car contracting and causing stress noises. Still, i know you shouldnt put up with something that is so irritating...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would not say it is like a brick, but definitely like someone has hit the car with a stone/rock. Has nothing to do with getting into/out of the car. strange one indeed!

·
Registered
756 Posts
The only thing that comes immediately to mind is that it is the a/c compressor clutch - this will actuate independant of speed/load/road conditions etc.

·
Registered
378 Posts
If the loud cracking noise comes from the dashboard / A pillar or glovebox area then it is a known defect that occurs in E87s built between 2004 and December 2005.

There is a standard repair procedure covered under warranty that involves placing a felt pad between the dash and a support pipe underneath (easier said than done).

Dealers should be fully aware of the problem and remedy as it's documented on BMWs TIS under SI 510306273 dated 7/2006 and the defect code is 51 45 91 39 00

·
Registered
1 Posts
08ABC,
Did you ever the mysterious cracking noise sorted out? Did the info above help?

I think have exactly the same thing, but it's very intermittent. It's like a small stone hitting the car at tremendous speed - enough to induce a brief ringing in the ears. A brick is more of a 'whump' sound as it hits the windscreen - it happened to my on the motorway at about 80, left a dent in the glass the size of a large dinner plate, a testament to the strength of laminated windscreens!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No, never got this sorted. BMW here always say they would have to 'hear' the noise to diagnose... and it is so infrequent it is impossible. Also, mine is a 2006 build, so the 04/05 build fault may not apply.

The only constant is on hot days and I turn the A/C on... so a temp change in something is causing it to expand/contract and therefore the crack noise.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I too can join the club!!!! I had an engineer take my baby out for a drive and it's going in on Thursday to have both a-pillar covers replaced. However, my intermitant crack on the dashboard didn't happen so they couldnt diagnose it / fix it.

I'll let you know what happens on Thursday...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.