Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there

with something like 20.000 miles my front tyres look like this! Pressure was always controled and I've read all over the internet that there are lots of cases like mine...I have the standard pirelli euforia on the 142 rims...205/50 R17 in the front and 225/45 R17 in the back! I've also know about some owners with other brands and rims that have the same prob...so i'm not sure what to think...is this a setup issue or a tyre issue? I've went to my dealer and they said it was a tyre issue. As bmw warranty doesn't cover tyres, i'll have to pay for the new tyres, and wait for my dealer to send the "defect" tyres to pirelli factory so they can assume the fault. If it's a setup prob, than bmw will assume the new tyre cost, but, in either case, i'll have to pay for the new tyres!

Here are the pics

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
yup, im getting the same issue, but i dont pay for tyres, contract hire company do. I mentioned it too them as my last set of tyres lasted 12k miles, 1st set, 26k miles. BMW wont look at it because the contract hire company wont pay for it to be looked at...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i've read in that this is a common issue and they have a list of owners with this problem, prepared to put it up to bmw! The dealers say it's either normal, due do pressure, due to alignment, or that it's due to the standard setup and that bmw know about it but hasn't (or doesn't want to give...) an answer for this problem!
My dealer told me it's a tyre problem and that they'l send my tyres to the pirelli factory...lets see what they say...meanwhile i'll have to pay for new tyres!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, I believe the most likely cause of your problem is incorrect wheel alignment wanna1. I always keep a close watch on my tyres on a new car from a very early stage, to prevent problems like yours.

I checked my tyres at 2000km and found evidence of feathering on the outside edges (which would have resulted in your problem if I had done nothing about it). I went to BMW and they gave me an unsatisfactory answer ... "We will check your wheel alignment and adjust it if we find it out of tolerance. However, if we find it is not out of tolerance we will charge you $175 for doing the check."

I knew it was out of tolerance because of the feathering but didn't want to risk having to pay them $175, so I took it to a good wheel alignment garage I knew and paid them $50 to do the job. No problems since.

When I did the check at 2000km I also measured the tread wear across the faces of all the tyres. I found that, even after only 2000km, the outside ribs had worn down 0.5mm more than the centre ribs, on all four tyres, which is quite an appreciable difference over only 2000km. I had always maintained the recommended pressures, but these are only a guide and pressures should be adjusted according to what the tyre tells you, and that told me that my tyres were underinflated. I increased the pressure by 30kpa both front and rear to try and even out the wear, and seem to have hit on about the correct pressure.

I'm also running Euforias by the way.

·
Registered
229 Posts
My pirellis were the same after 20K miles on 142 as well. I am not sure what the problem is but the dealer did not want to know and I am not prepared to try another set of the pirellis so I fitted michelin non RFT. I am running 140 for the winter so I'll have to wait until I fit the 142s again to see if the tyre change make any different.

I am also a member on the bmwfaq.com and most people with the pirellis had similar issues.

·
Registered
692 Posts
My Pirellis has exactly the same type of wear on my front set on my 120d as well!!

No sign of that sort of wear on my Bridgestone's!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Old Fart said:
Well, I believe the most likely cause of your problem is incorrect wheel alignment wanna1. I always keep a close watch on my tyres on a new car from a very early stage, to prevent problems like yours.
I saw the problem coming at 10000km, commanded a wheel alignment, but there was hardly any deviation. I also overinflated my tires a little bit to compensate for the excessive outer wear, but that didn't help much either, except perhaps for an even harsher ride.

The tires themselves are for sure the problem here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ive covered 21000 miles on 142s/Pirellis and have nr identical problem with the front boots. They get swapped out this Saturday! Bridgestone Potenza or Continental Sport Contact 2s I think.

Any other recommendations?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Sulphur Man said:
Went with Potenza RFT - the difference is like night and day. No more tramlining and ride is far more composed. 8)
My rear Pirellis are shot after 17k miles, so in the bin they go tomorrow and replacing them with the bridgestones, fronts will need changing in 2,000 miles so will swap those to bridgestones then too...

Bridgestones slightly more pricey £140 as opposed to £120 for the Pirelli's but not happy generally with the Euforias from my mini days

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I had the same problem I have 142´with Euforia 205/50R17 and the tire looks same after 37000 km, just changed to CSC2 non runflat.....great choice, I do not want runflat any more!!!!!!!! the car is complete different.....Jerry

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Pirellis on the rear of my 120d M Sport the went bald in the centre at 12500 miles, despite not over inflating them, and the fronts are feathering at the edge but may make 15000. The tyre guys said the front tracking was out but if they corrected it now it would accelerate the wear so left it for the time being. I did put Pirellis on the back again but am regretting it having read all the comments as the tramlining and ride is terrible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hmm...
That´s an interesting choice. The RFT prices here are quite high yet and I think this kit could be a good idea for me when I have to replace them.
I hope WE don´t have a defect :wink:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same in here in Czech republic the ContiSport Contact 2 in 205/50 R 17 cost almost half as price as Pirelli [email protected] I have 2 tires instead of one and better drive quality.....rear tires I will change after 2 weeks, i am now going to Italy for vacation.....I will put also CSC2 235/40 R 17....

:lol:

Jerry

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.