Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Owners manual should tell you. There is normally some sort of switch on the back of the lights under the bonnet to do such a thing (if it is possible with your car).

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
As far as I know (and I am NO authority) the spread of the xenon lights is such that they don't need adjusting for European travel. I've been over on several journeys and not had any harrassment... :wink:

·
Registered
4 Posts
My Z4 had Xenons which were adjusted by a switch behind the headlight. It was a real pain to get at since you had to get access from the wheel arch and feel for the switch. The 3 series has something similar but, I think, is accessible from the engine bay. The switch is a lever on the back of the headlight. Move up and down depending on which side of the road you are driving.
I would have thought the 1 series Xenons would have an accessible switch to select lhs or rhs driving.
With the Z4 I found the switch so difficult to find that I went down the dealers and got them to show me how to do it (at no charge I hasten to add). Once I had been shown it was relatively straightforward.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Same, but different.
(All being well) we'll have a Spanish 1'er soon, and when we drive in the UK we'll have to do the reverse with the headlights.

Any more information, anyone?

Graciás

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks Nick.

I'd hate to have to put black sticky tape over the lenses!

Irv.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I asked the dealer about Xenóns and beams when we collected our 1-er three days ago, and didn't get a straight answer.

I have emailed BMW Regensburg, but haven't heard anything.

So, if anyone in the UK is dazzled by a 1-er approaching them, sometime soon with Spanish plates, don't flash back- it's not my fault!

Amigo :wavey:

·
Registered
22 Posts
See my Topic elsewhere, but I quote...
"there are three suppliers for xenon headlights in BMW cars. Only one of them has the patented technology to convert from LHD to RHD. But these headlights aren't fitted into the BMW 1series so there is no way to switch sides with your headlights. "

Source- BMW.

Amigo

·
Registered
22 Posts
Still doesn't help with dipping direction alteration I'm afraid.
And I don't intend to visit the factory.

I'll just dazzle in the UK- look out!.

Amigo

·
Registered
22 Posts
mercí amigo!

I shall do the same!

i.e. Worry no more.

Amigo

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

I am picking up a second hand 116i on Saturday (yay!), and on Monday, set off for a driving holiday across Europe.

I do not believe the car has Xenons, but I was wondering if there was a switch on the standard headlights to swap the beam angle to make it more Continentally friiendly!

Failing that, I have got some reflects (along with a long list of other legal requirements!) from Halford that should do the job.

·
Registered
52 Posts
What you need is either

63120398978 for Halogen Lights

or

63120398980 for Xenon Lights

Not very expensive and the dealer will be able to order for you, had them on my car last summer in France and I didnt get flashed once, also very easy to fit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.