Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I purchased my second hand M135i just over a year ago, it had 4000 miles on the clock, and was fitted with 19 inch wheels and Bridgestone tyres - the car now has 18000 miles on it.

i‘ve loved having the car, I‘ve been a BMW driver now for the last 8 or so years and very loyal to the brand - but the one aspect of the car which has lately caused me to consider selling the car, was the harsh ride ( I’m aware of the centre wear with the Bridgestones, and have played with the tyre pressures on and off for several months).

I used to run the Bridgestones at around 36/32 psi when cold, giving me around 38/34 when up to temp - the wear was still in my opinion excessive in the centre only, but the ride was still very poor over any road surface.

Well, yesterday Sunday 7th August, turns out to the be the day, I finally got the car I wanted, because I changed all four tyres for Pirelli P Zero and the difference is staggering - at the same pressures as before, the car rides over uneven surfaces so much better, to be honest it feels like someone has completely adjusted the suspension for the better.

Handling so far appears to be very good, the steering feels slightly lighter on turn in, and mpg is up - in all honesty I’m blown away by the difference.

Why o why BMW, did you fit such dreadful tyres from the outset, as I was genuinely thinking of selling up before the tyre change, now I will be keeping for some time to come.

Random pic added by moderator to enable this to show up in Featured Threads!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I replaced 2 Bridgestones with the Pirelli and noticed a difference.
Now running the remaining Bridgestones on the front to get rid of them to replace with Pirelli.
But I agree a different car in terms of noise and comfort and of course the dreaded tram-lining

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I'm guessing you were on Potenza's? Nasty RFT's glad your rid of them, how it changes the car being on normal rubber!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I don’t believe the F40 M135i use run flats, the Pirelli’s are just night and day compared to the Bridgestons.

They just seem to be so much more forgiving over uneven surfaces, or potholes etc, the Bridgestones were a shocking ride, they are more suited to a clown car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I also switched out the Bridgestone tyres to the Pirelli PZero's, transformed the way the car drives! I've done 8,000 miles on the PZero's, even wear all round so far (pressures at 36psi front, 33 psi rear).

·
Registered
29 Posts
While not owning an M135i, I changed the Bridgestones on my 118d to Michelin PS5 last Friday. The tyres are now properly run in, and the difference is remarkable. The car rides and handles the way I thought it would when I bought it 9 months ago!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Yeah I don’t believe the F40 M135i use run flats, the Pirelli’s are just night and day compared to the Bridgestons.

They just seem to be so much more forgiving over uneven surfaces, or potholes etc, the Bridgestones were a shocking ride, they are more suited to a clown car.
I believe the run flats are for the American and Canadian markets.
Personally I don't have an issue with the Bridgestones at all and will keep them, as I don't feel there would be any gains, and until they're worn enough to need replacing.
Mine appear to be wearing quite well and evenly...

·
Registered
BMW 220d M Sport
1,698 Posts
All I can ask is Why oh Why did BMW get into bed with the Run Flat manufacturers
They are dreadful you feel every pimple on the road
A top quality car running on bottom quality tyres

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have Conti Eco Contact 6's on my car from build (18s) and am considering swapping to P Zeros. Whilst the Contis aren't the worst tyre, they aren't my favourites either.

When you swap them over, how do you update the iDrive to recognise they new tyres? Is that something that BMW do or can it be done by a regular tyre fitter?

·
Registered
727 Posts
All I can ask is Why oh Why did BMW get into bed with the Run Flat manufacturers
Quite, I test drove the previous series 3 on run flats and the ride quality was worse than my A3 sline with sports suspension. Put me completely off..

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have Conti Eco Contact 6's on my car from build (18s) and am considering swapping to P Zeros. Whilst the Contis aren't the worst tyre, they aren't my favourites either.
I have Eco Contact 6s on mine too. Do you find them very harsh on poor surfaces? I've experimented with various pressures and on normal roads they are just about OK, but on rough ones they make you feel every imperfection.

I'm looking forward to them wearing out!

·
Registered
29 Posts
When you swap them over, how do you update the iDrive to recognise they new tyres? Is that something that BMW do or can it be done by a regular tyre fitter?
When I put the new tyre on last week, I just checked in idrive that tpms was reading the pressure values and the tyre size selection was correct. Nothing more complicated than that.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Absolutely!! Just awful ride quality most of the time even if maybe convenient for that rare occasion of a puncture. It's good that BMW now have go-flats specced more often, however runflats still come as standard on many models. For instance the tyres for 20" wheels on an X2 only have 2 branded manufacturers both runflats, but even more weird is if you spec a space-saver spare with standard 19" go-flats & inflation kit then it automatically fits 20" runflats instead, but then u wouldn't need spare if you've got rfts - mental!
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Hi Paul, when I specced my 140, I wanted MPSS, I was told I could have the car in about 60 days if I took the in stock Bridgestones RFT or wait and extra 3 months for MPSS. I opted for the former and changed to MPSS probably sooner than I should, there was still a lot of life in the Bridgestones.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Had Bridgestone runflats on my old 330d (19s) and they were like rock. Lasted for ages but I swapped them for Goodyear Eagle F1s before they were worn out. The difference was like night and day.
I have Bridgestone Potenzas (19s) on my M135i and they're nothing like the old runflats, but they are a little noisy and when they wear out I'll consider alternatives.
Hopefully, other manufacturers beyond the current three (Bridgestone, Pirelli and Continental) will start producing star marked 19s by then. Have to admit that if Goodyear produced them they would be my first choice. I saw somewhere else on here that Michelin are producing star marked 19s but that they're on available in Europe at present.
As tyres are your only contact with the road it's pretty important that you're confident that they're doing what you expect!
And they're not cheap either.

·
Registered
BMW 220d M Sport
1,698 Posts
Hi Paul, when I specced my 140, I wanted MPSS, I was told I could have the car in about 60 days if I took the in stock Bridgestones RFT or wait and extra 3 months for MPSS. I opted for the former and changed to MPSS probably sooner than I should, there was still a lot of life in the Bridgestones.
Hi Simon
when I got mine it came with run flats and I thought they sounded like a good idea
my first drives were Liverpool to Durham and from there home to London , so all Motorway or good A roads
Not til I got home and started driving locally did I realise how bad they were
btw Spare wheel back in stock so it's due for delivery tomorrow :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts