Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I own a BMW F40 120i. I've had the car for 5 months now and have already driven 11 thousand kilometers with it. I like the car, but I think it's a shame that the car sounds like a vacuum cleaner, I also think 178 hp is a bit little for a modern turbo 2 liter. That's why I plan to tune the car to stage 2 soon, this means supersprint downpipe (opf and cat remove with original muffler) and bmc air filter. according to my tuning garage 310 hp should be feasible but now I fear that this is a bit much for a 20i variant of the b48 engine. I hesitate to ask them to tune the car to a maximum of 270 hp. oh and I'm going to have the car bench unlocked so maintenance at BMW is also a no go I guess? I’ve noticed that the 120i F40 is a very rare car problably because of the fwd so that’s why I’ve been struggling a lot to get answers about this. Thanks in advance for anyone that can give me any sort of experiences or advice!!! :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi,
has the situation of Bosch ECUs changed lately? From what I know, Bosch ECU (used on B38 and B48 engines) produced after 07/2020 are untunable because they fixed a low level vulnerability that was used to unlock the ECU. Have you any news on this subject?
Also remember that if you have the 7 speed dual clutch gearbox, the maximum torque it can sustain is 320Nm

P.S. 120i are very rare here in Italy as well. I don't known in you country, but here the price gap between 118i and 120i it is mysteriously big.
People prefer to go to the bigger 128ti or if they can't (like me :() to a 118i.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
unfortunately the situation on the ecu’s is still the same. But there is one way to tune them or actually two and that’s a piggyback tuning or a bench unlock by femtoevo (you can search them on instagram to see what they’re all about) I personally think someone from the inside bmw team leaked the codes to crack the ecu’s. You can send your ecu to them for 1000€ and they will make it “open” so the tuning shop can start mapping it. This is unfortunately the case with all new bmw models after 2020. As far as the gearbox concerns I also have my worries about that. I know I have the sport gearbox with paddle shifters but I indeed think it’s a 7 speed dual clutch gearbox. If the maximum torque really is 320 nm that’s really concerning since it’s gone be around 400nm after the tune. Are you sure about this? I must say that I’ve slightly discussed this with my tuner and he told me a gearbox tune is standard if I tune with him.
thanks for your reply!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, the gearbox is a Getrag/Magna 7DCT300 and is installed on the 116d, 118i and 120i models. It is also used on various other FWD BMW and MINI vehicles.
Have a look at this: https://www.magna.com/docs/default-...ds/dct/product_storyboards_ts_dct_7dct300.pdf
Okay that sucks….
Do you think it’s possible to go over its limits and do a gearbox tune that pushes something around 350-370nm? I’m willing to do more maintenance on it. And when the car has like 100k km I sell it before it breaks down on me…

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm sorry but I have no experience in this regard.
Personally I would not feel safe to go above what is recommended by the manufacturer. The maximum value is there for some reason..
Keep in mind that for the new front-wheel drive BMWs (Ux series) for engines with torque greater than 300 Nm a different version of the DKG gearbox is used which supports up to 400 Nm (7DCT400). On the Mini F56 John Cooper Works with 320 Nm they use the Aisin 8 speed gearbox.

From what I know the 7DCT400 uses reinforced clutches and gear set to support the higher torque.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Who would wish to cane their car so hard it is hitting the maximum torque anyway, would be foolhardy. Plus they are usually torque limited for the lower gears anyway..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Who would wish to cane their car so hard it is hitting the maximum torque anyway, would be foolhardy. Plus there are usually torque limiters for the lower gears anyway..
My car has 296hp and 385nm right now and yeah indeed at lower gears the torque is very limited. I had it costum tuned by one of the best in my country(I hope so :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts