Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently changed transmission fluid on my 2017 M140i at 58k miles. Followed the procedure as outlined by ZF, including the cold and warm fill and the correct tightening sequence for the screws that hold on the pan.

A week has gone by and unfortunately I appear to have developed a leak. From the small amount it appears to be a weeping gasket. This is extremely annoying, as I tightened the frankly ridiculous number of screws in the exact order advised and to the correct torque, so I'm assuming either some crud found its way onto the rim of the case or the gasket itself is faulty.

The fill is, by its nature, messy. On both the cold and hot fill you pump fluid in until it's dribbling out of the fill hole on the side, so I'm holding out hope that this is just overspill. Either way, if it's still weeping in another week or so I'm going to have to repeat the whole uncomfortable, time consuming, expensive process and just hope that this time the ruddy gasket actually does its job.

Attached is a picture of the 'box with the old pan dropped off that I took while doing the job. Sod doing any work on it more complicated than a basic service. In terms of complexity it makes a Saturn 5 rocket look like a fisher price scooter.

Sent from my CPH2089 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
461 Posts
I feel your pain and really hope it’s just residual.
How much oil has come out? Was it noticeable onto the driveway?

Was the gasket attached to the new pan or was it loose? What I mean is could it have slipped or got pinched anywhere?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feel your pain and really hope it’s just residual.
How much oil has come out? Was it noticeable onto the driveway?

Was the gasket attached to the new pan or was it loose? What I mean is could it have slipped or got pinched anywhere?
It's a small amount, not enough to drip. Classic weeping gasket.

The gasket is built in to the replacement pan, but honestly it looked a bit Mickey mouse, almost like it was stuffed into it's little channel a bit too tight. If gaskets ruck up like that, they can be a nightmare to seal.

Surprising really, as this was a genuine ZF part ordered through AutoDoc.

It would be nice if it was residual! I'm going to go and check it again in a minute actually, keep them crossed for me.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: I checked again tonight and I am blotting tissue paper as I run it around the rim of the transmission case.

The amount it's leaking is minute, so hopefully this is a job I can put off until I can just take it to a garage in a few months. It's easy enough to top up with fluid if it runs low, but I expect it would take months for that anyway at the rate it's weeping.

Oh well, lesson learned.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Can you not just torque the bolts a bit Snake? I know it's a faff taking all the underbody protection off.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Out of interest, where did you get the ZF maintenance details from? My understanding from posts on US forums was that you needed special equipment to do this that only a certified ZF shop would have. But your experience implies it's just a matter of controling hot and could outflow and inflow oil - is that right? Every post I've read on this says that it's a very effective maintenance task, in terms of smoother gearbox operation subsequently, but the impression I got was that it's beyone the capability/equipment of most DIY owners. In the US, most people who've had it done had to contact ZF in the USA and find a local certified maintenace shop, of which there aren't that many.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Im wondering if this issue has continued or been resolved now? Tiny leak still there?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts