Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how the different drive settings affect the engine and gearbox maps?

I've had my M140i auto for 3 months now and been using Sport mode, with manual shift mostly on my commute because the fuel economy is way better!

I had a play with the traction setting, I thought it was basically comfort with TC reduced but the gear shift were fierce. It felt like the shifts were rapid and it pushing the car on. Felt like a bit of an animal to be honest!

So i'm not sure if that's normal but in thinking about it there must be a good few variations on how the maps can be used and I'm interested if anyone has any info on what difference they all make.

Thanks

· Registered
1,433 Posts
Does anyone know how the different drive settings affect the engine and gearbox maps?

I've had my M140i auto for 3 months now and been using Sport mode, with manual shift mostly on my commute because the fuel economy is way better!

I had a play with the traction setting, I thought it was basically comfort with TC reduced but the gear shift were fierce. It felt like the shifts were rapid and it pushing the car on. Felt like a bit of an animal to be honest!

So i'm not sure if that's normal but in thinking about it there must be a good few variations on how the maps can be used and I'm interested if anyone has any info on what difference they all make.

Thanks
You sure your car doesent have XHP software on the gearbox?

Sport is soft on it and traction is savage, traction isent that firm on normal software so pretty sure your box is mapped.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You sure your car doesent have XHP software on the gearbox?

Sport is soft on it and traction is savage, traction isent that firm on normal software so pretty sure your box is mapped.
Anyway of telling? I had another play earlier and it’s almost like it pops on the upshift when I’m traction.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If your lcd screen shows ,whilst in comfort mode the gear number, its mapped, if the screen shows D for drive and no number its not mapped
It’s not mapped then!! 😬 I’m guessing the traction setting has a different engine map though as it has a few pops and bangs?

· Registered
224 Posts
It is very probably not mapped with XHP, but… you can install XHP with the drive mode gear numbering turned off… so you cannot be 100% sure it isn’t mapped based purely on the lack of drive mode gear display.

· Registered
1,433 Posts
Might not be XHP or might not have the gear display enabled but firm shifts in traction definately reek of a remapped gearbox to me.

Reactions: Shug

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is very probably not mapped with XHP, but… you can install XHP with the drive mode gear numbering turned off… so you cannot be 100% sure it isn’t mapped based purely on the lack of drive mode gear display.
Is there any way of checking for a gearbox map without having XHP? I have OBD11 that threw up some gearbox faults when I first got it.

· Registered
28 Posts
You can use XHP to check the adaption values and fault codes without any license - not sure it would show a map. Probably worth a download to check.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I downloaded the XHP software and checked the adaptations. Anyone here able to tell anything from this?
Azure Rectangle Water Font Aqua

· Registered
1,433 Posts
So I downloaded the XHP software and checked the adaptations. Anyone here able to tell anything from this?
View attachment 20726
These just give you an indication of the wear on your gearbox clutches, dont say if it is remapped or not. The figures are all within range but firm shifts in traction im certain is a map on the gearbox, ive ran XHP for 2 years and gone back to stock and traction isent really that firm now, it used to be very firm.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
These just give you an indication of the wear on your gearbox clutches, dont say if it is remapped or not. The figures are all within range but firm shifts in traction im certain is a map on the gearbox, ive ran XHP for 2 years and gone back to stock and traction isent really that firm now, it used to be very firm.
Thanks! I’ll drop an email to ask if they can confirm if the VIN has been used before! 👍

· Registered
323 Posts
It’s not mapped then!! 😬 I’m guessing the traction setting has a different engine map though as it has a few pops and bangs?
THIS, I'm not the only one. In Sport+ i get nothing but in Traction i get decent pops and bangs. Mine is used also so unsure if it's modded.

· Registered
209 Posts
Traction mode does add something to the exhaust burbles, i've read it somewhere else too, possibly a different thread in this forum? If you have pro nav and use the efficient driving display, the bar chart showing fuel consumption it has 3 colours, blue for eco, grey for comfort and red for sport, when in traction you get a pinkish grey implying you are somewhere between comfort and sport which i found interesting (yes, i'm a dork).

· Registered
52 Posts
Traction mode is indeed the hidden party mode, tons of traction and lots of pops and bangs so perfect for some B road fun with the windows open :)

· Registered
323 Posts
Traction mode does add something to the exhaust burbles, i've read it somewhere else too, possibly a different thread in this forum? If you have pro nav and use the efficient driving display, the bar chart showing fuel consumption it has 3 colours, blue for eco, grey for comfort and red for sport, when in traction you get a pinkish grey implying you are somewhere between comfort and sport which i found interesting (yes, i'm a dork).
On that note mine has stopped telling me which mode i'm in. Pro nav wont display it.

· Registered
323 Posts
That's definitely one of the personalisation settings in iDrive. I turned mine off on my primary use key.

Do you have 2 keys? maybe you picked the wrong one up and it's got a different profile attached.
Ahh this was it. Changed key to keep the nice one nice. Kept it off anyway, Cheers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts