Baby BMW Forum banner
  • The monthly Photo Competition is back! Click HERE to enter
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all,
My TPMS keeps pinging up to say it’s failed or there’s a fault. It’s intermittent so it’ll flag up then five minutes later it’ll be fine again.

could I use Carly to find out which sensor it is that’s on the way out? So I don’t gave to spend £120 for BMW just to look at it!
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
344 Posts
Can you check the tyre pressures on the iDrive? You should still be able to see what the pressures are whilst driving - then you can pull over and measure manually to see where the fault lies.

·
Registered
246 Posts
what is the actual message, we are guessing without knowing what it is exactly saying. ISTA, have you pulled codes.
you look like a advanced member here, gotta know were going to ask that LOL :)
there are 2 things, maybe more 1> The tire is loosing preassure 2> The TPMS is faulty 3> the TPMS sender thing is faulty
Is it an actual TPMS in each wheel (metal valve) or the kind that relies on rotation of the wheel (my 1 series had that my 2 the actual sensor)
You can TEST each sensor, tire shops have a device they put near each sensor and it detects the sensor and battery life, takes 10 seconds
take your car to a tire shop and try that first

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry I didn’t see people had replied!
so I put new wheels on the car and also new sensors and a few days later the error came up on the idrive. When the error shows I get no pressures showing on the idrive at all and it doesn’t tell me which sensor has failed.
Font Gas Electronic device Rectangle Natural material

·
Registered
649 Posts
If you now have new sensors, but still have the same fault, it is not the sensors unless you are incredibly unlucky. Get it hooked up to ISTA or if you want to keep guessing, go for the common denominator - the car, or in this case maybe the TPMS module/antenna that the sensors sync with.

·
Registered
246 Posts
ok better, it worked for you after you put them on for a while, "you" learned them :)
ok, did you reuse your old TPMS or put new ones.
I'd take it to a tire shop and ask them to TEST the TPMS with there remote device checker thing, you can buy them as well.
IF the device detects it, it's not the TPMS, if it doesnt then it's the TPMS
thats the first stage.
I believe there is a "reader" which detects the TPMS sensor then send's it to the idrive,
I suspect the TPMS

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No no, so the car on stock wheels was fine and never threw a fault. But now it has new wheels on with new sensors the fault started so I know it’s the new sensors that’s the issue.
I just need to know if Carly can detect a fault with the sensors or not… that way I can figure out which of the 4 sensors is not working and replace it

my local tyre place want to charge me £60 just to plug it in, hence why I just need to know if Carly will work as I have a friend who I can visit for that.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Carly is useless for many things, including diagnosing TPMS problems.

Your tyre place doesn’t need to plug anything in to check the wheel sensors - a simple hand held device positioned next to each wheel sensor in turn will do the job. Less than 5 minute job (I have such a device if you are anywhere near West Devon, happy to help)

If all wheel sensors are functioning correctly then it’s most likely the TPMS receiver (easy to replace).

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Carly is useless for many things, including diagnosing TPMS problems.

Your tyre place doesn’t need to plug anything in to check the wheel sensors - a simple hand held device positioned next to each wheel sensor in turn will do the job. Less than 5 minute job (I have such a device if you are anywhere near West Devon, happy to help)

If all wheel sensors are functioning correctly then it’s most likely the TPMS receiver (easy to replace).
Hmm that’s a bummer! I believe it’s the tpms valves themselves as when I put my old wheels back on with the original tpms valves there’s no issues. Once I put the new wheels on again, then after an undefined number of miles it pings up again, then after 5 minutes or so it goes away and I have my pressures displayed again.

If I take it to a tyre place and it's not throwing a tantrum then they likely won't be able to find out which one it is still, it'd have to be luck of the draw to actually catch it when it's knocked itself out. Would Carly show a stored fault code regarding this and potentially point out which valve/sensor it was that was having a connection issue?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Found the old screenshots I took from Carly when I was diagnosing my TPMS problems last year - the actual problem was the TPMS receiver.
Carly told me (right front wheels sensor fault) - it gave the wrong diagnosis.
If your friend has Carly it might help but just beware of false info.

note: RDCI is BMW speak for TPMS

Attachments

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Found the old screenshots I took from Carly when I was diagnosing my TPMS problems last year - the actual problem was the TPMS receiver.
Carly told me (right front wheels sensor fault) - it gave the wrong diagnosis.
If your friend has Carly it might help but just beware of false info.

note: RDCI is BMW speak for TPMS
Oki doki! So which one ended up being faulty in the end for you out of curiosity? :)

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Oki doki! So which one ended up being faulty in the end for you out of curiosity? :)
All wheels sensors were good (Carly lied)
It was the TPMS receiver that was dead (small box of tricks located behind trim panel in the boot above parcel shelf).

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All wheels sensors were good (Carly lied)
It was the TPMS receiver that was dead (small box of tricks located behind trim panel in the boot above parcel shelf).
Ahh I see!
My issue is that I've put my original wheels on with my old TPMS sensors and they work fine. I put the wheels from my daily 220d on the car, no issues. But as soon as I put on my Bola's with sensors then a few miles down the road I get an message pop up, so I definitely feel that it's the TPMS valve/sensor and not the module itself.

But just incase - how much was it to replace your module?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Definitely got the right TPMS sensors @ the right frequency on the new wheels? Where did you get them?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Definitely got the right TPMS sensors @ the right frequency on the new wheels? Where did you get them?
Got them from eBay, they said they worked on all F Series models and that they would work in a 2017 F20.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Looks like its the "ebay" sensors what make are the sensors ? can you link the original ebay ad it might help.

I had my winters refurbed and bought x4 continental sensor's from German ebay £100 for the 4 worked straight away.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts