Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’d be so grateful if someone can help directly or point me to a similar post, I’ve tried all morning searching online and get conflicting information from different sites/forums.

for a few months now my gear stick occasionally would go ‘tough’ and be a bit of a struggle to get into any gear really, possible reverse slightly harder(59 plate 118d) and the mechanic said it would need some work but likely not for another year or two when it was it for something else.

Is this definitely the gearbox gone and needing replacing? And the rough cost of this in UK if anyone knows?

Further bit of information if it helps, to move it out the way this morning to allow access I had to turn it off in between each gear change and turn it on in gear, although on 2 occasions it popped straight out of reverse and I had to turn it off and do it again.

any help is welcomed, how f*cked am I?

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Have you taken the belly pans off to have a look? I'm thinking bent con rods or stiff linkages (hopefully).

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Even better than linkages would be the gearbox moving off its mounts somehow, whenever Ive had selection problems its been position thats caused the problem.
Have a look and see if you can see anything obvious, reverse is usually the worst for it too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts