Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had my car to dealers for first service 3 weeks ago and at collection I was told to rebook for investigation into ticking/rattle noise from engine bay. After speaking to the senior tech he informed me that he has heard this from a couple of 135i's and a 235i, and it was related to the HP fuel pump. There is a fix which involves fitting an acoustic cover. Dropped the car off yesterday to have the work verified and the cover installed. They had the car all day and I received a call at 5pm tonight to say that they were taking for a test drive tomorrow as the original technician cannot hear the noise, it was also commented that a rattle exists on the turbo wastegate actuator linkage which there is currently no fix. Seems like a wasted journey and now been stuck in a 118i for 2 days for what may turn out to be nothing. This is the third visit for the same noise and still no resolution.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Mine is there same, see this thread, hopefully a fix won't be far off!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quick update, car diagnosed with rattle from wastegate actuator linkage, can't be repaired there is currently 'no fix' please come and pick car up. Asked to speak to service manager and he was not available, left with number for BMW customer services, disappointed is the polite way of putting things, hopefully fix comes quickly, currently end of Q1 2023.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Quick update, car diagnosed with rattle from wastegate actuator linkage, can't be repaired there is currently 'no fix' please come and pick car up. Asked to speak to service manager and he was not available, left with number for BMW customer services, disappointed is the polite way of putting things, hopefully fix comes quickly, currently end of Q1 2023.
Can you have a look and see if the acoustic cover they fitted is the same as i posted above please?

I may try and wrap it in an old rag and go for a drive, dont think theres anything there getting super hot. Will update soon

·
Registered
33 Posts
They really don't care other than selling cars with bloody subscriptions now, standards have way dropped. So what happens if this linkage decides to do itself a mischief? I'm guessing your left with the bill

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They really don't care other than selling cars with bloody subscriptions now, standards have way dropped. So what happens if this linkage decides to do itself a mischief? I'm guessing your left with the bill

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
I don't know what would happen, reported before end of warranty and recorded but would rather not go down this route. I am in the process of contacting customer services, the least I expected was a new actuator and linkage to reduce the noise until a fix was available. According to dealer, BMW wouldn't cover this under a warranty claim.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I don't know what would happen, reported before end of warranty and recorded but would rather not go down this route. I am in the process of contacting customer services, the least I expected was a new actuator and linkage to reduce the noise until a fix was available. According to dealer, BMW wouldn't cover this under a warranty claim.
The Audi 2.0, 1.8 and the 1.4 122ps engines had a rattling actuator as well, there were no reliability issues until Audi eventually got around to producing a clip for the actuator that stopped the rattle..

Reactions: HispidaSnake

·
Registered
60 Posts
The Audi 2.0, 1.8 and the 1.4 122ps engines had a rattling actuator as well, there were no reliability issues until Audi eventually got around to producing a clip for the actuator that stopped the rattle..
This will probably be the "permanent solution" used by BMW as well.
Even the new 1.0 TSI and 1.5 TSI have the same problem, and do not use any clip

·
Registered
727 Posts
I can't hear mine, if it exists, I guess perhaps because I drive around with all my windows closed...

·
Registered
727 Posts
The cause was posted further up the thread, there isn't a fix yet as far as I understand it...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No nothing, as quoted Q1 2023, even though Audi have experienced the same problem and already issued a fix. After all we purchased a prestige car with first class service? I'll let you answer that one

1 - 20 of 24 Posts