Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I might have done a rookie mistake, but I thought changing tires wasn’t rocket science…

Instead of going to my usual BMW dealer (who wanted to charge me $90 per wheel for labor), I took my M135i to a local shop today to change my front tires (those “lovely” 19” Bridgestone) and they managed to scratch the rims all around. I knew it was them because: A, I check my rims frequently and they never had a single scratch after two years and 50k kms of ownership (I’m super careful). B, because I don’t see how I could have made this scratch myself. C, because the damages were only on the front rims.

Make sure to clean your rims, take photos/videos and inspect them before (together with the person who is going to change the tires) and after.

Hope this saves someone the headache I had today. :) Perhaps this specific rim is trickier than others…

Here is the photo after I complained and they did their best to « fix it » (it’s almost all around the rims):

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I know your pain Swiss, had a puncture a few weeks ago and the tyre place left clamping marks on my rim. I'm fairly sure they will polish out when I can be arsed. That's why I didn't kick off about it.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
You're right it's not rocket science but lots of fitters out there don't seem to care about something that isn't theirs unfortunately.

When I had my rims in for a colour change I asked them if they minded fitting some new tyres while they were there. They were happy to and at least that way if there was any damage there was only one person causing it!
Is that picture before the repair?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I think I've had wheels damaged now 3 out of the last 4 times I've had tyres fitted. Standards are absolutely shocking as they're all trying to rush through jobs to be profitable, I'd happily pay a premium for better care to be taken fitting.

·
Administrator
4,023 Posts
If those are diamond cut I’d make sure the lacquer is intact or they’ll corrode quick as a flash :(

Small clamp marks are unavoidable really, but scuffs like that are pure incompetence. They should be paying to make it right imho.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts