Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hmmm this morning after arriving at work, my sunroof decided not to close... no amount of pressing on the button would get it to budge and i did get the nice little warning on the dashboard with a picture of a sunroof with an exclamation.....

interestingly enough, after a call to bmw on call, apparently its a problem with the sunroof just needing to be reinitialised! All you do is start your car, then push the sun roof button as you would to vent the sunroof... and then hold it down... after about 15 seconds, the sunroof will open close and vent.. release the button and voila.. problem solved!!! :D Apparently, the sunroof needs to reinitialise its end points, thats what the opening and closing is for... strange!!! but its fixed :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey thats interesting - and good to know! - thks :)

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yep I had this once on my 5 Series. If you really get stuck there should be an allen key in the toolkit to manually shut it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeh, theres a manual button for it in the dash light somewhere i believe.
Things like this would be rather annoying on sudden rain.
Not such a problem for australia, but maybe for the brits from the stories of my family that have been to england. :lol:

·
Registered
406 Posts
That's right. There should be a cover, usually near the controls, that you need to pop off and then you will see the motor/manual control that you insert the allen key into.

·
Registered
406 Posts
No you use the allen key as a winder like them old fangled window things before they went all electricary on us.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The stuck sunroof phenomenon happened to me today. As the original poster stated, you have to push the button in (i.e. "raise sunroof") for about 15 seconds to begin the initialisation. I should add that you need to continue to push the button for the entire initialisation. During this period, the sunroof will open to the raised position, then close, then slide fully back, then close again, and then finally raise again. At this point you can release the button. If you fail to keep the button pushed in you will have to repeat the procedure from scratch.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
its quite odd actually that bmw still use wind down windows in the rear, as do some other manufacturers. Not had them in the front since my 1st car... Always had electric. The sunroof point is quite common too. A similar system is in use on Coupe Cabriolets. People panic as their roof wont close or open after being parked up purely because they release the button when the roof is closed or open, and not wait another 2 seconds for the light to go out.. then cry when they cant open or close it again..

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the sunroof anti-trap warning today and checked the handbook and the instructions
in there really aren't sufficient. It tells you to hold the switch (i.e. not hold it down for 15 seconds)
and, of course, just holding it for a few seconds doesn't do any good.

I held the button in the 'vent sunroof' position and counted. I think it was about 15 seconds
until it went through the reset sequence and now it's fine again.

Thanks to you all for the instructions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah same with door glasses,need to basically tell them were the top and bottom is again. bit of a nightmare doing my job having replaced the door glass etc and then spend another 30 mins tryin to reset the damn thing!

·
Registered
332 Posts
I got the anti-trap warning on my sunroof a few weeks ago.
Stuck shut and couldn't get it to open, despite using the 15 second method.

Turns out that when I actually time it, and make sure I'm pushing the central button for 15 seconds, it works a dream.

...Just as I was about to ring up BMW to get it fixed as well!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.