Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Got a 1 series (first BMW) in build this week with M trim and a few extras. It hasn't got HK and won't be able to mod as it's a company car

Now I thought most new cars these days came with half decent standard speakers, however, the standard sound system in the wife's new cooper S is absolutely terrible, unbelievably bad - turning up Spotify and you'd think it was playing off the radio

I know this is highly subjective but I'm looking for some feedback from those with the standard system - who enjoy their music (sometimes a bit on the loud side) - on how they get on with it in the F40 - does it do just enough for you and match the premium feel of the car?

TIA

·
Registered
254 Posts
scottitoohotti said:
I didn't rate the standard setup. The HK is better but not perfect. Standard Golf Mk7 setup sounds better than standard F40 setup IMO.
Works for me. Listening to my iPhone via a cable and not bluetooth its good. I generally listen to DAB radio/podcasts so for me the HK option wasn't needed. When i listen to my iTunes library via the cable they sound great. Matches the rest of the car's superb quality.

had the golf 7.5 with standard sound and would say the M135i is as good if not a little better. All subjective though.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I currently have the Audi sound in my A3, this isn't the full B+O system but has the uprated amp, sub woofer and extra speaker in the dash. when I had the F40 test drive I found the system pretty comparable in terms of quality and volume, possibly the bass was a bit weaker but without the subwoofer that was always likely to be the case. The standard setup in the F40 was satisfactory enough for me to make it difficult to spend the extra on tech pack 2, having added pack 1 already. I'm not a big fan of the ****pit professional layout either, another reason not to spend on tech pack 2.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all

Can anyone tell me what the standard system has?

I am sure there was a section on the "HiFi" system and HK on the brochure detailing how many speakers etc was in it but (mistake me if I'm wrong) this appears to have been removed - presumably to help prospective buyers to decide in buying the extra packs with HK. Makes business sense

Unfortunately didn't get a chance to test drive, lockdown was about to happen so just hit the button

·
Registered
121 Posts
The standard system is pants. I have it, and I wish I didn't. I was hoping BMW had improved the base audio system with the new model, but they've just not bothered...

You get 1 mid range budget speaker in each of the front doors, and a bass speaker under each of the front seats, and a weak mid in each of the rear doors, and that's about it.

The bass speakers under the seats are useless because there's no separate amp to drive them, so the bass is weak and non existent.
There are no tweeters in the A pillars, so the mid-range speakers sound muddled and over-worked.

I just don't bother seriously listening to music anymore whilst driving because its so rubbish. Its just pod-casts and speech radio for me.

I wish I'd got the HK.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I test drove on the weekend with the base speakers, although they aren't as good as the premium upgraded speakers on other cars they are sufficient for driving - in my opinion. However, if you really enjoy vocal music, upgrading could be worthwhile.

·
Super Moderator
65,180 Posts
Standard speakers sound absolute bobbins, intentionally bad so you're basically forced to upgrade.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Agree with the above, about the only thing on the car that lets it down.

I had a seat Leon fr before that had the upgraded sound system so it had a decent sub mounted inside the spare wheel in the boot and it really blows the bmw out of the water on sound quality

I wish there was an easy option to upgrade, even just putting a small sub in the boot

·
Registered
121 Posts
They used to do an Alpine upgrade for the old 3 series - which was a new amp and small sub for about 500 notes.

Now, the only thing you could do is retrofit tweeters to the A pillars, but that involves taking the door cards out, ordering new interior trim and the speakers - all in all about 250 quid - not really worth it, especially for a company / lease / PCP car where you're handing it back.

Basically - just stick to Radio 4.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FFS 🤣 the number of negative comments is worrying. I'm not expecting to ping out an old Kruder and Dorfmeister live set as if you were there but if it's as bad as the tinny Mini sounds (surely, SURELY it won't be that bad) or thereabouts i'll be driving it into a lake. I mean it

·
Registered
980 Posts
marco_polo said:
Standard speakers sound absolute bobbins, intentionally bad so you're basically forced to upgrade.
One BMW ago, the standard stereo was a tape deck. Two BMWs ago, the standard stereo was silence; it didn't even come with one. Just a DIN-sized blanking plug in the dash. This all makes me hoot :D

·
Registered
980 Posts
Stuart Foot said:
FFS 🤣 the number of negative comments is worrying. I'm not expecting to ping out an old Kruder and Dorfmeister live set as if you were there but if it's as bad as the tinny Mini sounds (surely, SURELY it won't be that bad) or thereabouts i'll be driving it into a lake. I mean it
If you don't care about driving dynamics just get a Skoda or something? Ditchwater, but, good stereo.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Same situation here (company car) - mine was on special offer and non customisable.

Previously I've had 2 F21's - one with Advanced Audio (not available on the F40 in the U.K.) and then I had a Shadow Edition that came with HK as standard.

Even the 205w Advanced Audio still without tweeters and at 105w more and I think just one extra mid range on the dash was miles ahead of the f40 standard because of the higher quality speakers all round.

I did drive an X1 as a courtesy car once and if it makes us feel any better the standard in that (same as F21 standard) sounded worse to my ears.

Advanced audio should be standard, I see it is in the US but imagine with less strict emissions regulations etc. they can invest the extra money and maintain profit.

I hate poor speakers/sound systems but on this occasion it was a sacrifice I was willing to make to remain in a BMW and finally get an auto. My mind on it changes daily and it completely depends what you listen to - some days I think actually you know what it isn't too bad, other trips I'll be shaking my head in disappointment. Sometimes it sounds slightly good when stationary but as soon as your travelling especially with a window down it just can't power through the cabin/outside noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
790 Posts
I've owned cars with Burmester, HK, B&O and Bose sound systems but those cars were quieter than the M135iX I now own in which the standard sound system is more than adequate, in fact it's not bad at all. On course tarmac tyre noise is loud which would affect audio quality of any sound system, for this reason I couldn't see the point of upgrading to have the sound quality affected by road noise.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The ultimate test: My wife borrows my 118i with standard audio system for the day whilst her X2 with HK sound system is being serviced.

She comes back after driving it around all day listening to Heart FM (torture I know!) which basically has the same 12 songs on all day in hard rotation, and asks me what's up with the stereo - "it just sounds wrong..."

Enough said.

·
Registered
43 Posts
bobster635d said:
The ultimate test: My wife borrows my 118i with standard audio system for the day whilst her X2 with HK sound system is being serviced.

She comes back after driving it around all day listening to Heart FM (torture I know!) which basically has the same 12 songs on all day in hard rotation, and asks me what's up with the stereo - "it just sounds wrong..."

Enough said.
Exactly that. Wife has 2 series gran tourer with standard audio and got the HK in the M2, perhaps not up there with the marantz and Bose home audio stuff we have but enough of a difference to make me tick the option every time.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I think the H+K sounds superb.

Ive had many cars with upgraded sounds and the m135iX and an x3 were easily the best. Well worth the upgrade.

Had an S3 with bose, an Evoque with Meridian and a Tiguan with Dynaudio. I would never pay for any of them again, especially the Dynaudio....absolute garbage.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Castlemanmd said:
Same situation here (company car) - mine was on special offer and non customisable.

Previously I've had 2 F21's - one with Advanced Audio (not available on the F40 in the U.K.) and then I had a Shadow Edition that came with HK as standard.

Even the 205w Advanced Audio still without tweeters and at 105w more and I think just one extra mid range on the dash was miles ahead of the f40 standard because of the higher quality speakers all round.

I did drive an X1 as a courtesy car once and if it makes us feel any better the standard in that (same as F21 standard) sounded worse to my ears.

Advanced audio should be standard, I see it is in the US but imagine with less strict emissions regulations etc. they can invest the extra money and maintain profit.

I hate poor speakers/sound systems but on this occasion it was a sacrifice I was willing to make to remain in a BMW and finally get an auto. My mind on it changes daily and it completely depends what you listen to - some days I think actually you know what it isn't too bad, other trips I'll be shaking my head in disappointment. Sometimes it sounds slightly good when stationary but as soon as your travelling especially with a window down it just can't power through the cabin/outside noise.

I'm bringing back an older thread but . .

Whilst my cars been in for service I have an Active Tourer as a courtesy for a couple of weeks and to my surprise the standard sound in this is noticibly, especially bass/depth wise, better than mine. Needless to say I'm getting the dealer to check mine out whilst it's with them.

To me, it sounds like only one of the under seat subwoofers is working in mine vs how the AT sounds. It seems like the mid-range door speakers in the AT might be smaller (looking at the door card visual differences) so maybe BMW in the F40 have put in bigger mid-range drivers but smaller subs . . . but surely not considering it's the same 100W 6 speaker setup.

Regardless, my seats and rear view mirror do not vibrate/shake like they do in the AT - somethings not up to spec in mine. Will update when I hear back from the dealer.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.