Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got standard setup system with pro hu, which I will change for a double din. But what are the speaker sizes on the front and rear door cards and under seat subs? Can I change for any types of speakers? I was looking at adding a boot twin active sub setup but I'm thinking just the underseat sub upgrade with amps will be enough!?

Cheers

· Registered
7,002 Posts
Underseat subs are 8" IIRC and the door speakers are 4" :).

You'd be better off going for a good component setup rather than trying to put subs in the boot as you have a convertible UNLESS you got the ski hatch, then you can make a box and port it through there :).

· Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sonic1506 said:
Underseat subs are 8" IIRC and the door speakers are 4" :).

You'd be better off going for a good component setup rather than trying to put subs in the boot as you have a convertible UNLESS you got the ski hatch, then you can make a box and port it through there :).
Unfortunately haven't got a ski hatch mate. So you think I should just upgrade the current speakers in the car and add amps to them? I assume the 8" subs under the seat are slimline meaning I'm limited to which types I can use?

· Registered
7,002 Posts
Beasted said:
Unfortunately haven't got a ski hatch mate. So you think I should just upgrade the current speakers in the car and add amps to them? I assume the 8" subs under the seat are slimline meaning I'm limited to which types I can use?
Yeah, they're slimline ones. You heard my car at the meet :), It has the Gladen 3 way fronts (Normal versions) and a JL Audio XD400/4. No other subwoofers (at the moment), just speakers and the one amp (at the moment). They sound fantastic for being such slim subwoofers and the mids are crystal clear but they're not cheap.

Second hand they can be had around £200-£250 for the speakers but they rarely come up. Retail price is £400. Sound Evo can probably get MB Quart but I don't think they're Gladen dealers yet. Going to speak to them and see if they'll consider it. Failing that Team SPB are Gladen Dealers and could do you a deal?

The amp is about £380 brand new, probably £300ish second hand but if you buy new I think you'll get the v2 version which is better, better power handling and power stability :). The v1 is still a fantastic amp though (which is what I have). It's about the size of an iPad (length, height) and it's not even massively thick, so can be hidden away easily. Sound Evo are JL Dealers and can do you a good price :). They love JL there as do I :).

Then all you need is an amp wiring kit, additional RCA and line output converters (if you keep your OEM stereo). If you go for an aftermarket stereo, then it's just the amp wiring kit and additional RCA :).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.