Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just posting my experience of Sonax.

To date my car has always had BMW screenwash. All jets were great, including the rear even though it has not had the software upgrade.

Anyway, purchased the above having read various articles and guess what, the rear blocked altogether and the fronts are now half as good as they were before using the stuff. My reservoir was completely empty so there was minimal chance of it mixing with any BMW leftovers and solidifying. I had read others experienced problems with different products so maybe this has happened here. Perhaps products do not mix well with the BMW liquid but as it works well why bother changing? I changed because of the Autoexpress award.

I will be clearing the system and going back to BMW.

Edit
Since posting this I have cleaned out the system and posted some pics on the "washer bottle" thread. They may be of use to anyone with washer issues. Initally managed to get the rear working by acessing the hose connetion in the rear and drawing liquid through. However in the end I had to access the the water bottle which is really where the problem was.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thats not good news at all! I've heard plenty of horror stories with regards to screenwash solidifying in the fan style jets but not the std rear jet!

How much do BMW charge for their screenwash?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ratboy! said:
Thats not good news at all! I've heard plenty of horror stories with regards to screenwash solidifying in the fan style jets but not the std rear jet!

How much do BMW charge for their screenwash?
Managed to clear the rear but still a bit weak. Will improve once drained no doubt. As for price, never bought any as yet, got some with the car.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Dave1 said:
I changed because of the Autoexpress award :evil: :!:
All the more reason to ignore most of these 'best buys' for sure!

I use the BMW stuff and Its not that expensive IMHO.

Windscreen cleaner with antifreeze
250ml - 83 12 0 404 497 - £0.95
500ml - 83 12 0 404 498 - £2.00
1000ml - 83 12 0 404 495 - £3.25

There are others available too

Info is in the accessories brochure near the back

·
Registered
217 Posts
Those prices seem very reasonable!

I've been using some cheapo Asda stuff in my old car and my G/F's Mini with no problems at all, although I never make the mix very strong. Think i'll pick up some from BMW for my new 1er.

Cheers for the info!

·
Registered
332 Posts
I use the Sonax Clearview, and have been doing so for 12 months with no problems whatsoever.

In any case have a look at the packaging of Sonax own car care products at . Then compare it with BMW product packaging for their car care products - guess what - its the same! Any guesses where BMW source their products?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Did you buy the car new? The reason i ask is if it was a used car you don't know what has been put in it before you bought it, the sonax is now reacting with what ever was in there!

Just a thought.......

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tminal said:
Did you buy the car new? The reason i ask is if it was a used car you don't know what has been put in it before you bought it, the sonax is now reacting with what ever was in there!

Just a thought.......
No, not new but I know it has always had BMW wash in it, plus that is what I have been using for the last year when topping up. I did not buy Sonax for cost, it was merely the review. I have found the AutoExpress suggestions OK at times.

Anyway, I have only posted my expererience of the stuff, if anyone wants to use it that's fine, but from now on I will be buying the BMW version of Sonax, may be it is the bottle that makes the difference. :lol: I believe I remember reading when I bought Sonax that it was used by manufacturers, BMW being one. Strange really.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.