Baby BMW Forum banner
  • The monthly Photo Competition is back! Click HERE to enter
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The eagle-eyed amongst you might have noticed some changes over the last few weeks. Now seems like a good time to give everyone the lowdown on what we've been up to, so here goes!

Forum Layout

The forum's layout (see the homepage here) has been given a spring-clean - here's a brief summary of what's changed:

• A new “Welcome to BabyBMW” section has been added at the top, encouraging newbs to introduce themselves (previously just a thread in the off-topic forum)
  • The old “General Discussion” section has been split into 3 – “Mainline Models”, “Modification” and “Technical”, hopefully making the forum easier to navigate
  • M cars are no longer buried in their parent forums, and now have a top level section of their own right on the homepage :cool2:
  • M-Lites of all generations/bodystyles, as well as the 128ti, now all have their own dedicated subforums (this was previously only in place for the F2x)
  • The Classifieds have been rearranged, and old listings moved to 'Too Late...' to make it easier to search
  • Forum titles/subtitles have been brought up to date to reflect production dates/bodystyles etc. as they're now known

Remember, no matter what the layout looks like, you can always pin your favourite forums at the top – here's how.

Monthly Photo Competition

In case you missed the banner, the photo comp is back for the first time since 2016. The main thread is here, and we also have a discussion thread here if you have any feedback or suggestions.

Reactions

A recent software update added the “Helpful” reaction (green tick). As with all of them, hover over/hold the 'like' button to see the full list.

Font Automotive tire Auto part Signage Circle

We can have custom reactions added, so if you have any suggestions…

Trophies

The site currently only has a very short list of default trophies, and nothing BabyBMW specific. We want feedback on how best to implement these, see my thread here. The site owners are working on expanding the feature, so no changes have been made just yet. There's still time to add your opinion on whether it's a great/terrible idea, as well as what each trophy should be called.

Thread Prefixes

These have been created in a few different subforums and will be expanding. For example, in the Problems section:

Font Technology Electronic device Rectangle Software

Or in the Coding section:

Gadget Font Communication Device Mobile device Screenshot

You can add prefixes from the drop down when you create a thread, and can filter/search by clicking them. Hopefully this will make it a lot easier to mark issues as resolved, or find exactly what you're looking for.

These can be added very easily, so suggestions are welcome.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's about all I can remember – happy Friday :cool2:

·
Administrator
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As the M cars and Mlites all have their own sub forums is it possible to do the same for the Exx?
Maybe one for the 135i N54/55 and another for the 125i/130i N52?
We're getting on now and feeling left out 🙁
It would be nice (and I say that as an E8x forum resident lol) but tbh I think the ship has sailed there. If we create a 130i/125i subforum now, we either end up with people needing to check/search in two different places which is going to be confusing when the car left production so long ago, or someone needs to go back through 743 pages spanning over a decade to move all the related posts… Not sure there's going to be any volunteers :eek2:

·
Administrator
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It’s excellent to see moderators helping to actually improve the site rather than just taking part in the forums.
:redface:

I have to give the community team at VS a shoutout as well, our suggestions wouldn't have got anywhere if they weren't on board. Their approach has basically just been “you know the forum, so let us know what you want and we'll do what we can to make it happen”. Offering to run the photo comp, and gifting premium membership to the winner to make it a bit more worthwhile, was a nice gesture too!

·
Administrator
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
However, you never know if the sponsors want to organise anything on here, if so, make sure there are some decent rules to stop people signing up with a few posts just to enter.
That would be between the site owners and the sponsors – us volunteer staff don't get involved in the financials. Would be great to see though!

·
Administrator
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The one thing I don't see when I log into "www.babybmw.net" is a navigation bar. I just get a page full of "recommended for you" posts from various forum pages, and "our top forums" on the RHS.
Thanks for the feedback!

The recommendations are based on the bits of the forum you visit/comment in frequently, as well as new topics that are related to others you've participated in before. Mine were a mess to begin with, but now they seem pretty well aligned with topics I'd have clicked anyway.

It also puts the 'featured' threads (like this one) on the homepage, making them easier to see without adding those announcement banners you sometimes see stacked 5 deep that wipe out your entire screen on mobile. I agree it does get in the way if you'd prefer the old school experience of just going straight to the bits you want though (you can now pin your favourites at the top too).

There is a link to the full listing opposite the Recommended for you title:

Tire Automotive tire Product Automotive design Automotive mirror

Plus the "New" button in the top navbar, which will only show you new posts, and can be combined with followed forums/threads and other options as below to quite aggressively filter out anything you might not want:

Sky Font Circle Electric blue Midnight

As @Simon Site Manager pointed out, if you set https://www.babybmw.net/forums/ as your bookmark, you'll never see the recommended/homepage again ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts