Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
BMW 118I 2007 E87
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, currently, i have a e87 118i, which i dont like, i want to get the coupe e82 and a diesel for fuel economy, here is a picture of the car that i want to get, it has 60k Miles
im 17 years old btw, and insurance is expensive, any car to be honest, so dont tell me to get a hyundai or something please, any advices? the blue car is my car
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Grille
Car Land vehicle Wheel Tire Vehicle

·
Registered
618 Posts
The E82 looks nice.

Having had both the 87 and 82 I’d say the 82 is by far the better looking. The one you’ve shown has xenon’s so that’s an upgrade.

Look for fsh and regular oil changes on the N47.

Leave those mirror covers and m flashes on the 87 for the new owner! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
237 Posts
The E87 118d is fitted with the N47 engine which suffers from premature timing chain wear. These engines therefore require servicing at least twice as often as BMW recommend. However it's very rare that a car will have been serviced to this extent, so unless it was a lower mileage example (think 20-30K miles) it's probably best avoided given in the event of failure you're looking at £1500+ to repair.

If you do decide to go for it, however, I strongly recommend going on YouTube and listening to 'before and after timing chain replacement' videos for the N47 so you have experience in terms of what a good and bad engine sounds like, which you'll need to compare when you go and view the car. 60,000 miles is on the higher side for this engine as it is now approaching a 'problematic age' as substandard service standards in years gone by will now begin to catch up with it.

·
Registered
BMW 118I 2007 E87
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The E87 118d is fitted with the N47 engine which suffers from premature timing chain wear. These engines therefore require servicing at least twice as often as BMW recommend. However it's very rare that a car will have been serviced to this extent, so unless it was a lower mileage example (think 20-30K miles) it's probably best avoided given in the event of failure you're looking at £1500+ to repair.

If you do decide to go for it, however, I strongly recommend going on YouTube and listening to 'before and after timing chain replacement' videos for the N47 so you have experience in terms of what a good and bad engine sounds like, which you'll need to compare when you go and view the car. 60,000 miles is on the higher side for this engine as it is now approaching a 'problematic age' as substandard service standards in years gone by will now begin to catch up with it.
You are right thats this engine is a very bad engine, but i dont have any other choices, i like german car, and BMW, its either this car or a audi a1, or idk, because insurance is a huge problem, to be honest i want to get a bigger and a more reliable engine but insurance rules are very bad, and also 60,000 miles is the lowest i can find, they are all from 60,000 to 90,000 which is what im aiming at, no more than 90,000 i guess. i feel like i need to keep my bmw e87 because it only costs around £2500, thats what i bought it for, it is using a lot of oil thats the problem, thats another reason why i want to sell it to be honest, this e82 would cost from £5500-£7500, so why not pay like £1000 for repeair on my e87 to fix that oil consumption.

·
Registered
BMW 118I 2007 E87
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The E82 looks nice.

Having had both the 87 and 82 I’d say the 82 is by far the better looking. The one you’ve shown has xenon’s so that’s an upgrade.

Look for fsh and regular oil changes on the N47.

Leave those mirror covers and m flashes on the 87 for the new owner! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do agree with you, i love how the e82 looks, especially in the colour black or white, it looks amazing

·
Registered
217 Posts
Out of curiosity what is it about the 118i you dont like - Is is just the performance or the overall package? I have an E82 125i and recently drove a 118i courtesy car and didn't find it too bad as a run around - of course it didn't have much get up and go but would a 118i in E82 form work? I know the sweet spot of the E8* range is the 6 cylinders but of course will be very expensive to insure.
I looked previously at the diesel variants and the timing chain stories did put me off quite a bit too. Do Audi A1s or Polos appeal at all? My partner has an A1 Sportline, its really nice to drive along with being easy to chuck about. Granted she has the diesel but the performance and running costs are not bad at all.

·
Registered
BMW 118I 2007 E87
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Out of curiosity what is it about the 118i you dont like - Is is just the performance or the overall package? I have an E82 125i and recently drove a 118i courtesy car and didn't find it too bad as a run around - of course it didn't have much get up and go but would a 118i in E82 form work? I know the sweet spot of the E8* range is the 6 cylinders but of course will be very expensive to insure.
I looked previously at the diesel variants and the timing chain stories did put me off quite a bit too. Do Audi A1s or Polos appeal at all? My partner has an A1 Sportline, its really nice to drive along with being easy to chuck about. Granted she has the diesel but the performance and running costs are not bad at all.
I think i made a decision, i will keep my car and fix any problems with it, it is using a lot of oil, there is a smell of ruber burning from the clutch when i go hard on it, and i would also modify it, and keep it i guess, thats what i feel is the best for me

·
Registered
217 Posts
I think i made a decision, i will keep my car and fix any problems with it, it is using a lot of oil, there is a smell of ruber burning from the clutch when i go hard on it, and i would also modify it, and keep it i guess, thats what i feel is the best for me
In this climate it’s probably best. Used car prices are crazy at the moment and likely whatever you buy you will need to still refresh parts or fix things. If the cars sound otherwise id just invest in looking after it.

·
Registered
BMW 118I 2007 E87
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In this climate it’s probably best. Used car prices are crazy at the moment and likely whatever you buy you will need to still refresh parts or fix things. If the cars sound otherwise id just invest in looking after it.
I will actually keep my car for the next maybe 2 or more years i guess.

·
Registered
BMW 118I 2007 E87
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As said above it's probably best to keep what you have. Better the devil you know!
If you decide to keep modifying then I'm sure you're aware of the insurance implications especially at your young age.
I will actually keep my car for the next maybe 2 or more years i guess. i will not modify the engine heavily maybe an air filter, like small performance mods, but i will get xenon headlights, new exhaust,1m style front bumper, and front and side skirts splitters and maybe a spoiler, you know like extrior mods

·
Super Moderator
3,789 Posts
For OEM xenons you also need a new FRM, new rear light clusters, 6-8 hours to install them and modify your cars wiring, then the ability to code them in.

·
Registered
BMW 118I 2007 E87
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Almost certainly yes with genuine oem. Having said that I put a different bumper on mine with no washers (attached) and it passed it's last MOT.
Alright that's good news, I dont have the OEM ones, I need to get the aftermarket headlights will they pass MOT without the washers?

·
Registered
618 Posts
You've got a nice looking car there. When I was 17, I had a beige Austin Metro, with undertones of rust.
I had a red rust with undertones of a Citroen AX GT. :D

• Haha
Reactions: Towerz
1 - 20 of 21 Posts