Baby BMW Forum banner

Security

2K views 37 replies 20 participants last post by  Stevo_5 
#1 ·
I know BMW have kind of learnt from their lessons, but someone tried to have it away with my E92 335i just before christmas.
The old, smash the window, alarm fails to go off, plug into the OBD port, programe a spare key, drive it off trick

They failed as it had a security update.

Guess theres no easy way to nick a newer car (specifically the M135i)?
Short of braking into the house for the keys (scary thought)

I dont live in a rough area either, quiet dead end street!!

#28 ·
It's takes me at least one episode of 'Kings of Queens' to come round in the morning, and I'm a weed, so I've got no chance against the balaclava wearing, weapon toting burglars!

If they have the guts to come into the bedroom they can have the damn keys.

#29 ·
Sorry to be the voice of reasoning here guys and having been the victim of a burglary with 3 guys in my house nicking stuff while I was asleep upstairs with my ex, I thought the same afterwards. Reality check-you are asleep (in whatever dress state/naked etc) and they are in a strangers house committing a crime! They are already in full on adrenaline mode and massively on edge. You...are not! Chances are they'll be armed with whatever (blades/tools they used to force entry etc), they may be on drugs, whatever. They are fully awake and aware and in the top of the alertness pyramid. They won't want to be caught and are taking a huge risk doing what they're doing.However ninja you think/know you are you're on the back foot from the get go and playing catch up-big time! Your 'flash to bang' time is going to be seriously tested especially as you're asleep! Best case scenario is they do a runner-try stopping them/barring their exit and you're in for the fight of your life...dressed however you go to bed. They do NOT want to get caught and will do anything they can to escape. Leave it to the movies guys as that's where it works. It ain't going to happen. Dial three 9's (as any copper worth his salt is going to bust his ass to catch a burglar in the act...they live for that stuff) and secure your family. Take action into your own hands be prepared to defend your actions in court where you will get taken apart. Reality check fellas.
As for reducing these risks:

. Take your keys, wallets, handbags to your bedroom (burglars can sometimes carry card skimming devices with them-they scan your cards and replace them and you're none the wiser-that happened to me when I got hit and they only dipped into my accounts 5 months later. Luckily I picked up on it quickly), house keys out of reach as the old classic 'fishing pole bandits' has become a re-emerging crime.

. With regards to your car-a simple measure is to fit a disclock. Fit it ALWAYS-no exceptions. The one time you leave it is the one time you'll regret that decision! Put as many barriers up as possible to deter them onto some other poor victim. If it's going to take too much time and effort they'll target someone else. Obviously if they REALLY want your car then they'll come prepared and stick it on a low loader..unlikely unless it's an on demand special car. Disklock, simple but effective.

. Adequate lighting around your house, CCTV? Unless you're monitoring it 24/7 all you're doing is recording the crime for evidential purposes! If they're worth their salt they'll wear masks/hoods so you won't get an ID.

. Decent quality Alarm-make sure its user friendly though! If it's too complex people tend to not arm them and then it's useless.

. Dogs..a legal offensive weapon with teeth. Nuff said :)

When I got burgled we'd been in the house 3 weeks. 2 Romanians and an Italian guy broke in through a side entrance and cleaned us out of a load of gear...didn't take the cars (2 BMW's) as that crew didn't have the capacity to shift them. As I said me and my ex were asleep upstairs and didn't know anything til around7 the next morning. Luckily they were were an experienced gang that got complacent. One of them had a fag while they were breaking in and left the butt. Bingo. DNA hit that cleared up a ton of cases...they got locked up, huge money seizure order and a deportation order. Good result.
Hope this helps sorry for the long post. No charge ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#30 ·
3 on 1 no matter who you are doesn't Stack up and you'll always come off worse, you don't need man maths to work that one out but 1 on 1 I'd have a bash. I've been thinking of taking this bad boy upstairs with me. I wouldn't use it but anyone here's this fire up I think would run!

#31 ·
Help yourselves, fit a house alarm, ensure adequate door and window locks, if you have a garage then use it, install security lighting. I've also fitted some cheap window motion alarms, pack of 5 for 20 quid off Amazon which are affective and will hurt your hearing and if nothing else gives you adequate warning. Chances are they will move on to a softer target. An alarm will be the biggest deterent. These people will want to be in an out of your property with minimum hastle.

#32 ·
Plantjuk said:
3 on 1 no matter who you are doesn't Stack up and you'll always come off worse, you don't need man maths to work that one out but 1 on 1 I'd have a bash. I've been thinking of taking this bad boy upstairs with me. I wouldn't use it but anyone here's this fire up I think would run!
Think someone plays too much Grand Theft Auto ;)

Imagine trying to fire up that bad boy at 4am when you are naked and half asleep !!!!

#33 ·
Sustanon250 said:
Plantjuk said:
Think someone plays too much Grand Theft Auto ;)

Imagine trying to fire up that bad boy at 4am when you are naked and half asleep !!!!
Still be funny to watch a would be thief run for their lives lol

#34 ·
Stevo_5 said:
Sorry to be the voice of reasoning here guys and having been the victim of a burglary with 3 guys in my house nicking stuff while I was asleep upstairs with my ex, I thought the same afterwards. Reality check-you are asleep (in whatever dress state/naked etc) and they are in a strangers house committing a crime! They are already in full on adrenaline mode and massively on edge. You...are not! Chances are they'll be armed with whatever (blades/tools they used to force entry etc), they may be on drugs, whatever. They are fully awake and aware and in the top of the alertness pyramid. They won't want to be caught and are taking a huge risk doing what they're doing.However ninja you think/know you are you're on the back foot from the get go and playing catch up-big time! Your 'flash to bang' time is going to be seriously tested especially as you're asleep! Best case scenario is they do a runner-try stopping them/barring their exit and you're in for the fight of your life...dressed however you go to bed. They do NOT want to get caught and will do anything they can to escape. Leave it to the movies guys as that's where it works. It ain't going to happen. Dial three 9's (as any copper worth his salt is going to bust his ass to catch a burglar in the act...they live for that stuff) and secure your family. Take action into your own hands be prepared to defend your actions in court where you will get taken apart. Reality check fellas.
As for reducing these risks:

. Take your keys, wallets, handbags to your bedroom (burglars can sometimes carry card skimming devices with them-they scan your cards and replace them and you're none the wiser-that happened to me when I got hit and they only dipped into my accounts 5 months later. Luckily I picked up on it quickly), house keys out of reach as the old classic 'fishing pole bandits' has become a re-emerging crime.

. With regards to your car-a simple measure is to fit a disclock. Fit it ALWAYS-no exceptions. The one time you leave it is the one time you'll regret that decision! Put as many barriers up as possible to deter them onto some other poor victim. If it's going to take too much time and effort they'll target someone else. Obviously if they REALLY want your car then they'll come prepared and stick it on a low loader..unlikely unless it's an on demand special car. Disklock, simple but effective.

. Adequate lighting around your house, CCTV? Unless you're monitoring it 24/7 all you're doing is recording the crime for evidential purposes! If they're worth their salt they'll wear masks/hoods so you won't get an ID.

. Decent quality Alarm-make sure its user friendly though! If it's too complex people tend to not arm them and then it's useless.

. Dogs..a legal offensive weapon with teeth. Nuff said :)

When I got burgled we'd been in the house 3 weeks. 2 Romanians and an Italian guy broke in through a side entrance and cleaned us out of a load of gear...didn't take the cars (2 BMW's) as that crew didn't have the capacity to shift them. As I said me and my ex were asleep upstairs and didn't know anything til around7 the next morning. Luckily they were were an experienced gang that got complacent. One of them had a fag while they were breaking in and left the butt. Bingo. DNA hit that cleared up a ton of cases...they got locked up, huge money seizure order and a deportation order. Good result.
Hope this helps sorry for the long post. No charge ;-)

Can't say I can disagree with anything you say and your points about them already being on full adrenalin is a good one.

I've moved from a terraced town house with only two real points of entry to a detached house with 4 door entry points and 6 window entry points, I'm still waking up startled at every mouse fart within 100 yds!

Strangely, one of the things that worries me most about someone getting in is either hurting or letting our dogs or pedigree cats out. I've heard evil stories of burglars beating up and killing puppies etc. :(

#36 ·
Sustanon250 said:
I'd be far more upset losing one of my dogs than losing my car , maybe it's time to keep the keys downstairs :(

Either that or apply for a firearms license :)
I have a fire arms licence - there's no-way you would get away with shooting someone with a rifle as it's always supposed to be locked up and not in your bedroom! You could say you just happened to be cleaning it... at 4am... :)

However, an air-pistol is a different story. I fact they look so realistic, you might not need to actually use it.

#37 ·
Deadeye said:
Sustanon250 said:
I'd be far more upset losing one of my dogs than losing my car , maybe it's time to keep the keys downstairs :(

Either that or apply for a firearms license :)
I have a fire arms licence - there's no-way you would get away with shooting someone with a rifle as it's always supposed to be locked up and not in your bedroom! You could say you just happened to be cleaning it... at 4am... :)

However, an air-pistol is a different story. I fact they look so realistic, you might not need to actually use it.
I get you mate .

One of my mates was shot dead breaking into someone's house , the guy that killed him ended up getting charged with murder (although he ended up being found not guilty in court).

#38 ·
The fact that we're talking about finding people in your bedroom means that we're talking about desperate people who have made a decision to escalating their 'normal' burglary charge into something potentially far far worse. There are too many recent examples to choose from where a gang will use extreme violence on homeowners to get there hands on your valuables. As I said-leave the whole 'take them on single handed' guff for the movies...you'll be lucky to get anywhere and it could go very very badly wrong for you. A chainsaw? Wtf. Don't forget your 'leatherhead' mask as well eh [emoji57]
As people here have said a few simple cost effective measures should hopefully be enough to deter a burglar onto someone else. Many burglaries occur during daytime with a bold approach ('hiding in plain view') to get away with it. If you can put enough layers for a potential burglar to have to go through to get to you/their goal, then that will hopefully make them go elsewhere...'time on target' is the key for them and they don't want to hang around for ages trying to break in risking discovery.
Fit a Disklok as its a visible deterrent on your car. Thieves may well have the most up to date Gucci bypass system but unless they're willing to hammer and saw away at that lock for a long time it's not worth the risk. Put some common sense layers in that are user friendly and effective (something that gives false alarms all the time will end being ignored or just switched off) and that hopefully should be all you need to do. If you're that concerned-get advice or go on a course as there are some very good ones out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.