Baby BMW Forum banner

Security

2K views 37 replies 20 participants last post by  Stevo_5 
#1 ·
I know BMW have kind of learnt from their lessons, but someone tried to have it away with my E92 335i just before christmas.
The old, smash the window, alarm fails to go off, plug into the OBD port, programe a spare key, drive it off trick

They failed as it had a security update.

Guess theres no easy way to nick a newer car (specifically the M135i)?
Short of braking into the house for the keys (scary thought)

I dont live in a rough area either, quiet dead end street!!

#2 ·
I only picked my M135i up on Saturday and I'm already paranoid someone will try to break into the house for it but I don't know if it's best to leave the keys down stairs or take them to bed with me? But then you risk them coming looking for the keys or just leaving as they don't want the hassle, I don't know what's best. 1 on 1 I'd stand my ground all day long but if you're out numbered it doesn't matter who you are really.

#3 ·
It's a car, not worth getting injured (or worse) over.

Personally, much as I love my car, I leave my keys downstairs in the hope they'd find them and not come upstairs to me or my family.

Just my view, and I know others would have a thief prise the keys from their cold dead hand, just one of those things folks have strong views on I guess!

#4 ·
Edinnit said:
Guess theres no easy way to nick a newer car (specifically the M135i)?
Short of braking into the house for the keys (scary thought)

I dont live in a rough area either, quiet dead end street!!
If they don't know which house to break into, the car keys are pretty safe. Make sure you don't park it on display on your property, instead leave on the street so they don't know which home it belongs to, or out of sight in the garage. :thumbs:

#5 ·
I work away all week, the car is secure Monday to Friday. On weekends I always block mine in with the girlfriend's F31 320d overnight. We have quite a light sleeping dog too.

I've heard that some people's insurance quotes have been lower if they state that the car is parked in the road, as they can't be certain which house it belongs to.

It's good that cars are more secure now and can't simply be taken, worrying that in order to steal cars they need come in for the keys!

#8 ·
If they want mine, they can have it. I won't be putting up a fight or making it difficult by deliberately hiding the keys (of course they're not left in plain view).

If they do nick it, I won't be wanting it back either, they can keep it, trash it or ditch it.

#9 ·
Plantjuk said:
I only picked my M135i up on Saturday and I'm already paranoid someone will try to break into the house for it but I don't know if it's best to leave the keys down stairs or take them to bed with me? But then you risk them coming looking for the keys or just leaving as they don't want the hassle, I don't know what's best. 1 on 1 I'd stand my ground all day long but if you're out numbered it doesn't matter who you are really.
I know what you mean about been paranoid! I've fitted cctv at home since having the car just so I can keep an eye on it!! Also fitted ABS cylinders to front and back doors and make sure the alarm is set before bed! Not sure this will deter the most determined thief but it puts my mind at rest that it's as secure as it could be [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
I recall a while back there was a spate of M135i's being pinched from the Midlands area, it made me very paranoid at the time but the paranoia does ease with time.

As for taking keys to bed it's your choice, there's no right or wrong. For me now that I live alone and I'm not putting anyone else at risk they come to bed with me. I like to spoon them, they replace the lack of a females in my life. :lol2:

#11 ·
Antics said:
I recall a while back there was a spate of M135i's being pinched from the Midlands area, it made me very paranoid at the time but the paranoia does ease with time.

As for taking keys to bed it's your choice, there's no right or wrong. For me now that I live alone and I'm not putting anyone else at risk they come to bed with me. I like to spoon them, they replace the lack of a females in my life. :lol2:
Where about in the mids are you?

#12 ·
Plantjuk said:
Antics said:

Where about in the mids are you?
I'm not Plantjuk, I'm in Yorkshire. But it still shows the M-Lites are an enticing draw for would-be thieves, although the Golf R has taken over that mantle if you read PH and VWOC forums.

#13 ·
Aero said:
If they want mine, they can have it. I won't be putting up a fight or making it difficult by deliberately hiding the keys (of course they're not left in plain view).

If they do nick it, I won't be wanting it back either, they can keep it, trash it or ditch it.
I have a 135i and leave spare key downstairs. Behind a gate most of the time with another car on the drive.

I'm of the same view, but hopefully roll it into a ditch, injuring themselves in the process. Shame can't have a mad max style self detonation.

LV insisted I have a tracker when I got a quote, I said no thank you as I don't want it tracked and returned after some filth has pinched it.

#14 ·
Plantjuk said:
Do not live your life worried about such a thing. It's a car.

#15 ·
I agree, but I wouldn't say 'it's just a car' on here you will find yourself getting into a right debate with some!

#16 ·
I share a small car park with seven other cars. Albeit I don't have an M135 but I'm thankful they never painted the numbers in the spaces

#17 ·
Never crossed my mind about parking in on the street.
Wouldn't really work in my case as its a quiet culdisak, so A, I would look daft parking it 5 doors down. B, they'd be pissed of with me, and C, I'd rather it on the drive where it can't get clipped or dinged.

I'm going to get into the habit of leaving the keys at the top of the stairs, that way if they come in/up they get the keys before getting at my family.

The media / watchdog didn't do E9* owners any favours by advertising how easy to nick they were on national TV.

#18 ·
Aero said:

I agree with this 100%.

Not worth my family being at risk. Not worth a knifing in the night after a break in.

They can have the car and keep it. And don't get me wrong, I am totally into my new m135i and I would be pissed off if it was stolen. But it is still a car at the end of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#21 ·
Deadeye said:
Mine are easy to find once you're in my house.
I don't want them in my bedroom and I don't want to have to explain to the police why I killed someone.
Why killing is taking it too far, just destroy the knee cap using a bat.. no need to kill anyone :D
I've also hidden the spare keys and are not likely to be found, CCTV and Burgler alarm is also installed so when thieves arrive at my house they will have a full job not getting caught.

#22 ·
Toube said:
Deadeye said:
Mine are easy to find once you're in my house.
I don't want them in my bedroom and I don't want to have to explain to the police why I killed someone.
Why killing is taking it too far, just destroy the knee cap using a bat.. no need to kill anyone :D
I've also hidden the spare keys and are not likely to be found, CCTV and Burgler alarm is also installed so when thieves will have full job not getting caught.
And after you've smashed their knee cap to bits say "oh you wanted to go for a joy ride in my car" then pile him in the back of the car and drive them them about 100 miles away and drop them off. Lol

#23 ·
Plantjuk said:
And after you've smashed their knee cap to bits say "oh you wanted to go for a joy ride in my car" then pile him in the back of the car and drive them them about 100 miles away and drop them off. Lol
Precisely :lol2:

#24 ·
Toube said:
Plantjuk said:
Precisely :lol2:
Maybe do one knee-cap in the house so they can hobble to the car themselves - then do the other.

#25 ·
Deadeye said:
Maybe do one knee-cap in the house so they can hobble to the car themselves - then do the other.
Well, I'm not sure if I had the guts to do either in normal circumstances.. but when it comes to protecting your family then I guess the situation would be different.

#26 ·
Toube said:
Deadeye said:
Well, I'm not sure if I had the guts to do either in normal circumstances.. but when it comes to protecting your family then I guess the situation would be different.
I think giving some scrote a serious kicking would come naturally if you woke up to find him at the end of your bed demanding keys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.