Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m expecting to take delivery w.c. Jan after a looong 15 month wait. I’m sure most on here can relate!

Having waited so long and being asked by most insurers I’m considering getting a Tracker installed.

Never had one on any of my previous cars but with this being circa £55k and the thought of being without a car for another extended period if it was stolen and not recovered I’m seriously considering fitting a Tracker.

Would be good to hear any recommendations for insurance approved Trackers, who to use and any specific considerations?

I’m also considering having a telescopic security bollard fitted at the end of the drive as according to the police they are by far the best deterrent. Again, lots of companies to chose from so would be great to hear any recommendations on best products and installers?

· Registered
425 Posts
I’m expecting to take delivery w.c. Jan after a looong 15 month wait. I’m sure most on here can relate!

Having waited so long and being asked by most insurers I’m considering getting a Tracker installed.

Never had one on any of my previous cars but with this being circa £55k and the thought of being without a car for another extended period if it was stolen and not recovered I’m seriously considering fitting a Tracker.

Would be good to hear any recommendations for insurance approved Trackers, who to use and any specific considerations?

I’m also considering having a telescopic security bollard fitted at the end of the drive as according to the police they are by far the best deterrent. Again, lots of companies to chose from so would be great to hear any recommendations on best products and installers?
Can't comment from a user perspective having never used either, but a few things spring to mind :-
  • Security Bollard sounds like a brilliant idea - stop the theft in the first place!! Excellent deterrent I would imagine also.
  • Trackers have many benefits but after seeing so many stolen car chase/crash vids I can't help thinking, if my car were stolen, would I want it back?

Again, no experience of either, just a thought. (y)

· Super Moderator
634 Posts

This was what we purchased for my 4'er. Mostly happy with it, but be mindful it'll need to be recharged every 2-3 months (which is less than what is advertised).

Sends SMS/app notifications to your phone if any movement - e.g., a door opens or obviously if the car moves.

Only downside really is the £100/yr subscription.

Reactions: Manc M135i

· Registered
1,511 Posts
Telescopic bollards can be quite heavy to operate so somewhere where you can try them may be worthwhile. A relative changed theirs to a "lift assist" type which is easier.

Reactions: Manc M135i

· Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can't comment from a user perspective having never used either, but a few things spring to mind :-
  • Security Bollard sounds like a brilliant idea - stop the theft in the first place!! Excellent deterrent I would imagine also.
  • Trackers have many benefits but after seeing so many stolen car chase/crash vids I can't help thinking, if my car were stolen, would I want it back?

Again, no experience of either, just a thought. (y)
Agree, a family member had his M3 stolen twice off the driveway. Had a tracker fitted and luckily got it back with minimal damage.

However GM Pice specifically recommended a ram proof telescopic bollard to stop the theft in the first place as they almost never attend instances where one has been fitted and the cars been taken.

I also WFH so the car will always be on the drive versus sat in a work car park or multi-storey so I guess reduces the need for a tracker.

Fitting both a bollard and tracker is getting beyond the £1k mark. A decent ram proof bollard is looking around £600 fitted so might just opt for that as preventive as you said. 👍

· Registered
45 Posts

Dont entertain the BMW Trackstar (teletrac navman) tracker. they are pants.

1. App doesn't work as advertised.
    1. Geofence function is just for notifications on your phone, it doesnt tell them if the car has moved outside a set area.
    2. App reports the car to be not where you parked if you look at the app before a 15 minute period has passed, assuming the device had reported its last position..
  2. Customer service less than helpful (see 3 & 4)
  3. If your car is stolen, you have to get a police crime reference number before you call them. Police will in the first instance give you a log number, then 24 hours later a CRI is given. TeletracNavman will only accept a CRI not a log reference.
  4. If you phone the customer service to enquire about your cars device, you have to be sat in your car with the engine running so they can locate it and then tell you its status.
    1. A tracker should be able to be found without the engine running, the old BMW app used to do that, but they took that functionality out to save data transmission costs to and from the car.
  5. Apparently updates and sends the data to them twice a second, but if the device doesnt get a good "ignition off", it will be out of sync with what they can see. Doesnt correlate with why on their app the car is say 10 miles away at the end of a non-stop journey. it should be a minimum a few feet away given their logic of updating every two seconds.
  6. JLR customers see the same issues.
Moved to another one now that can do what the Trackstar cant.

One on the current list I have with BMW UK for them to respond as to why they allow this device to be endorsed by BMW.

· Registered
M235i Convertible 2016 +MP LSD
1,089 Posts
I know it’s obvious, but if you Have a garage, then the best thing to use it for is to house your new car. A car on the drive is the worst case scenario for theft, as it identifies where the keys will be kept and invites a break-in for them. It took me two years to actually get my garage cleared (my older kids kept using it to store stuff they didn’t have space for in their small flats), but in the end it was worth it. After installing suspended bike lifts and shelving I got most of what was in there back in, but on a more organised basis, including a set of winter wheels and tyres.

Interestingly, according to police theft stats, a car is much less likely to be stolen if parked randomly on the street, compared to on your drive. However, I’ve noticed that insurers seem to have begun to nominate that if so, a car has to be parked infeasibly far away overnight to be covered.

Where we live, dealer compounds have seen cars stolen and then driven fast to the Gatwick Airport zone where police helicopters can’t fly. They then are put into containers that mask the signal where the tracker can be removed and plates switched.but this is for more like £100K+ vehicles.

· Registered
1,797 Posts
  1. A tracker should be able to be found without the engine running, the old BMW app used to do that, but they took that functionality out to save data transmission costs to and from the car.
The current MyBMW does send the car’s current location when the engine is off - even gives a route back to it.

· Registered
45 Posts
The current MyBMW does send the car’s current location when the engine is off - even gives a route back to it.
That’s a signal it sends when it last turns off and locks. The old one you could send a request and the car would send back a location. It was getting abused so they made it as it is now, ignition off.

· Registered
157 Posts
A point to consider re: insurers - don't assume they all work the same way and have the same requirements, especially where Trackers are concerned. When I had my M3 it was a stipulated condition to have one fitted, and that was the case with a couple of insurers. Now I have my M2 I've moved insurers and landed with a company that doesn't stipulate one! That said I've had one fitted, along with additional immobiliser anyway. There can be odd permutations of requirements I believe. Some companies may have blanket policies, and other factors such as postcode can come into it too.

As for companies, I was with Tracker proper for a hell of a long time, and tbh I wasn't impressed overall.
-as each renewal came round I had to badger them to send new certificates
- I found phone contact frustrating
-zero customer loyalty when it comes to subs, unless you stump up for a multi year deal (and any unused sub is not refundable)
-when they advised me about the device battery justifying a UNIT replacement, they weren't so slow (!) but I had to do it to meet insurer needs
-best of all, when the replacement installer arrived he had no idea where the original one was, and couldn't find it. As he started to remove this panel, that panel etc "in all the usual places" I could see the guy getting more frustrated and could see there was chance he'd damage something in his efforts, so told him to stop wasting his and my time and pack up. I made some calls to supplying dealer, bear in mind I bought my car from them many years ago, and amazingly by speaking to the right people, someone ended up discussing with the installer who actually remembered my car! The fact central records were missing the code relating to the install location was...concerning. Thankfully one person with a good memory saved the day.

I'm with Meta Trak now and been pleased with the following:
-Installation. Carried out by Ben Hadfield. Decent bloke all round. Initial install done professionally, and some initial issues sorted out. Ben was up front in that the problem that arose was unusual but between him, and the dealership it was all sorted out. Main point is he stuck with it and owned the problem, even though there was uncertainty about the root cause. Others could learn from his professional attitude. Incidentally the final thinking was a previous Trakstar may have been the culprit, nobody new it was there and its wiring may have been the issue.
-Customer service. I've had to contact them a couple of times and they were spot on. First was after device refit and I noted that logs were showing some mad telemetry. Had an interesting chat with them to understand the issue, and they sorted it remotely, immediately. In getting used to the system I also asked for some guidance, and once more, they were very helpful. No call waiting times, immediate response.
-App support. On mobile and via PC. Despite being a tech guy, I'm not one who relies on "apps" for day to day needs, but the Meta Trak app is nice to use, and gives extra info that is quite handy such as journey details, system status, remote commands and even car battery voltage (the latter may sound frivolous but it's understandable, and also lets you keep an eye on things without having to go out in -8°c to check with a meter, as per recent weather!)

The other one to consider is physical security in the vehicle. After seeing one too many cases of steering wheel theft I've included that too. Old school, but if some scrote is put off by it, and goes elsewhere, that's a result for a minor inconvenience.

So going back to where I started, you may wish to clarify requirements with your insurer first, chances are that they just focus on Thatcham rating, but being certain about any specific brand requirements may avoid wasted spend perhaps. In terms of brands, right now I'm glad I went with Meta Trak.

· Administrator
4,358 Posts
Just to add to what @DaveR has said, you need to be bloody careful about declaring a tracker to your insurance. In my experience they'll happily let you declare one, but they'll also add lots of lovely policy terms to deny payouts if that exact model tracker isn't on their approved list, if you can't prove it was professionally installed, if it isn't active when the car is stolen, if the subscription has ever lapsed... Conveniently, none of these requirements get mentioned on the phone.

I'd rather install something like a Ghost, that actually helps stops the car going walkies in the first place, rather than helping to possibly get it back with parts damaged/missing or having been ragged about by scumbags.

· Registered
72 Posts
I usually would bother with a tracker as you see plenty of ways thieves can get round them. Unfortunately for me for the first year of M2 ownership BMW insurance came back cheapest and they insisted on one for M cars. So have just kept the subscription going.

I went with MetaTrak and I am of the same option as DaveR. The app and online portal are really good, loads of functionality. You can easily set a geofence for example. The customer service is spot on as well. Not long after mine was installed there must have been a glitch as they would call me pretty much as soon as the car moved saying the tags were not present. After a few times I spoke to the guy and he fixed the issue over the phone.

I also had the Ghost swapped over from my RS3 and use a Disclock as bit of a visual deterrent. I fully understand that if 99% of theives have took the time to follow you home or scope your car out before there is little that will stop them. On the other hand the more layers you add the more unappealing you might make the car. These guys usually want a quick smash and grab, saying that they do seem to get more brazen all the time.

· Super Moderator
634 Posts
My BMW dealer installs LoJack.
LoJack was one of the ones I'd wanted to get but I don't think we can get it here in the UK unfortunately :confused:

· Registered
49 Posts

Just had a telescopic assisted lift bollard fitted by these guys Driveway Security Bollards | Parking Posts | Supply & Installation % very good, extremely quick turn around from order to install, really nice guys on the phone and the installer was great, nice tidy job on a brand new driveway as well .

· Registered
226 Posts
The sad fact is, if they want it they are taking it, trust me....I know from painful and bitter experience. Since my theft my whole mindset has changed, let them take it, its what you pay your insurance for, just stop the ******** from getting into your house.

· Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Still considering what security measures to take to deter the average car thief. As commented above I appreciate that ultimately if they really want it they’ll find a way to take it.

Been looking an easy and low cost option of a steering wheel lock, old skool I know!

Has anybody opted for one? Looking at the reviews the Stoplock Pro Elite seems to top most reviews and it’s only £60.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts