Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 1ers going back to BMW next week for a quick inspection... :roll:

My run flat tyre indicator warning light has come up on the dashboard for the 3rd time this week, this warning light has come on at least 10 time since I've owned the car, I've checked tyre pressures and just reset the light, but its really bugging me now as it seems to becoming more frequent. This makes me think there maybe a fault somewhere, either with one of the tyres, the valves or sensor. I have been making sure the pressure is as stated in the owners manual (2 bar on the front, 2.2 bar on the rear) - I shouldn't have to be visiting petrol stations to check tyre pressure every week.

I'll let you know what they find.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
The run flat computer doesn't measure tyre pressures.

It works by measuring how fast each wheel is turning in relation to the other three wheels, on the basis that the circumference of a wheel and tyre reduces when there is pressure loss, resulting in that wheel spinning faster than before even though the other three wheels are still spinning at the same (relative) speed.

Since the hardware is already in place (for the ABS, DSC, etc.) it's a simple addition to do this (without the need for expensive tyre pressure sensors attached to each wheel).

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know this car is not a mini.

But on my bmw mini, the tyre pressure sensors were also the ones that worked out the abs, ebd, etc. -

Now there is a possability that bmw are completely different, but I think they use the same system.

So I would make sure its checked asap.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its back, its clean too.

They rung me about 20 minutes ago to say the engineer found the offside rear tyre has a puncture. Which I suspected they would say, I had checked all tyre pressues when the indicator came on but the pressure on that tyre wasn't very low, only just under normal load 1.9/1.8 bar maybe - perhaps that how run flat tyres are, I'm not sure. Any how, arranging a replacement now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Oh well. This happened me second time now in a couple of months, and I'm really annoyed by all the bad luck I've been having lately...

I was just driving back home and the runflat indicator pops up in the dash, I was saying to myself "let it be a glitch, just a glitch please" and when I get back home, I don't notice anything spectacular and tyres seems to be ok so I just reset it.

And the day after it seems that the tracking leans a lot to the left, so my worst fears are becoming true again. I go to the petrol station to check out the tyre pressures, and the left rear tyre has only 1 bar. I put 2.5 bar again and after couple of km's I get the error again, but I was on my way to get the tyre fixed. It was a slow puncture as I feared but it was repaired and all is well for a while again...

I was just running in my brand new Goodyear F1 tyres! Just couple weeks old... :evil:

·
Registered
6 Posts
This happens to me every couple of weeks. It never seems to be a puncture when I get out and check 'em. I just reset and go on my way. It happened once when going onto a hot tarmac surface in the South of France - which may be a reason to trigger the sensors. Othertimes its completely random. But I am starting to wonder if its worth getting it checked out by BMW.... :roll: going to the dealer just seems like such a waste of time with the potential for :censored: money down the drain.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My first post, so hello all. Got my firts BMW 1 and love it. Had a 523i before.

I bought my 118d (57 plate)with 11.5k on the clock from the local BMW dealer in April this year.
Recently noticed that the Bridgestones Turanza RFT tyres where worn (now mileage at 18K), decided to get them replaced, so used kwik-fit today, all 4 tyres replaced with Bridgestone ER300 RFT 205/55 r16 91V, total cost £388.

After 10 miles on the new tyres the tyre indicator warning came on the dash, i was on the M4 so pulled into the services, did a visual check all seemed OK. So read the manual and reset the fault, drove home (25 miles) no problems.
Driving to Bavaria next week so need the car in good shape.

I have never had any problems before with this "alarm" so will monitor it, any issues and i will get the bmw dealer to have a look as the car is still under the bmw warranty.

Has anyone else had this problem after having new tyres fitted?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Its back, its clean too.

They rung me about 20 minutes ago to say the engineer found the offside rear tyre has a puncture. Which I suspected they would say, I had checked all tyre pressues when the indicator came on but the pressure on that tyre wasn't very low, only just under normal load 1.9/1.8 bar maybe - perhaps that how run flat tyres are, I'm not sure. Any how, arranging a replacement now.
so you had a low pressure warning, checked the tyre pressures and found one tyre was low, and somehow thought that the system was wrong rather than a puncture??

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah - it was only 0.1 bar under.

Since that post, I've actually had another puncture in the replacement tyre! Nails must sneak it out.... that was at 0.0bar - an obvious puncture unlike the first time.

·
Registered
284 Posts
you've been pretty unlucky with tyres then :( good to know that the system is very sensitive, and warns you of a puncture nice and early.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.